• March 28, 2024, 02:17:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-552 drivers do NOT work in Win7 ::FIXED::  (Read 31338 times)

playahata

• Level 1 Member
DWA-552 drivers do NOT work in Win7 ::FIXED::
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:51:22 PM »

[EDIT] I have found a complete fix method. Disregard this partial fix. Full solution can be found here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11251.0

I installed windows 7 on my pc, and the ****ty card stopped working. I have tried the new "windows 7" compatible drivers and they also do not work.

The card works under Windows XP Pro, but not in Windows 7 Ultimate. Also, to make it work in Windows XP I had to download atheros drivers NOT from this site as the ones peddled here caused bsod issues 2 minutes after user log-in.

Are there any working and tested drivers for windows 7 for this card yet? Or should I just rip it out of my pc, nail it to a cross and light it on fire to exorcise it?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:16:07 PM by playahata »

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: DWA-552 drivers do NOT work in Win7
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »

I installed windows 7 on my pc, and the ****ty card stopped working. I have tried the new "windows 7" compatible drivers and they also do not work.

The card works under Windows XP Pro, but not in Windows 7 Ultimate. Also, to make it work in Windows XP I had to download atheros drivers NOT from this site as the ones peddled here caused bsod issues 2 minutes after user log-in.

Are there any working and tested drivers for windows 7 for this card yet? Or should I just rip it out of my pc, nail it to a cross and light it on fire to exorcise it?

Hi playahata,

You are both right and wrong about the DWA-552 Card.

I am booted into Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit Release Candidate Version with no problems whatsoever. I am also dual-booting between that operating system and Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 with no problems whatsoever.

The Drivers aren't causing the Blue Screen of Death, its the Wireless Utility that the package also installs that causes the Blue Screen of Death.

You need to download and unzip the Drivers. Do not install the Drivers. Uninstall the entire D-Link Software Package and drivers and reboot the computer.

After you reboot, do not allow Windows to automatically install anything, but upon detecting the Card, click Cancel.

In Windows 7 you can't but doesn't matter, because Windows 7 only installs the Drivers, not the Utility. In Windows 7 you need to use the Device Manager to update the Drivers.

In Windows XP, You will see a QuestionMark in the Device Manager. Open up its properties. Click Driver. Click Update Driver. Point Windows at the unzipped Drivers package. Use the Vista Drivers for Windows 7. Use the XP drivers for XP.

Reboot after installing the drivers.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

playahata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »

Thanks, I'll give this a shot with the vista drivers in Win7, I tried installing only the Win7 drivers in the new package with the device manager to no avail. I will post the results later.

playahata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:12:34 AM »

Tried installing new drivers via said method. Nothing. Problem persists. What happens is it works for 1 minute then it will no longer connect to the network. Over 10 other laptops and pcs have been tested with the router, as well as on the same and different OS's just with different cards. It is the card/driver causing this crap.

playahata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:48:06 AM »

FIXED: Solution follows.  :)

1. download newest drivers for windows 7 here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/14833-latest-atheros-wlan-drivers-for-windows-7-and-vista-x86-x64/

2. go to control panel and uninstall any dlink install.

3. go to control panel -> hardware and sound -> Device Manager and click on "network adapters" then find if any wireless adapter is installed; if so uninstall it. Now right click in the device manager window and select "scan for new hardware". A new device should be found by windows. If it is UNABLE to install a device, then you may proceed to reboot your pc, otherwise continue to uninstall AND check the delete driver also button and looking for new hardware until windows CANNOT install the found hardware.

4. After rebooting your pc, extract the new drivers to a folder, then go to device manager again and select the found network device. Right click it and selct update driver. Chose to install from pc, and select the folder with the driver in it and let it install.

5. After the install reboot your pc.

If it still does not connect properly do the following.

go to your router set up and select the following settings in the wireless connection settings.

- security:WPA-Personal
- encryption type: WPA or WPA2 automatic
- Wireless mode: b,g or n automatic (just n should be ok as well)
- frequency: 20/40hz automatic

- in your adapter's settings, enable wireless-n adhoc

This should fix the issue with intermittent drops, not being able to find the network etc. It seems that in Win 7 the new drivers do not work very well with wireless g on this card as testing showed the same issues when switching from n, or mixed to just g.

This only took me 6 hours of wanting to drive a hummer through fields of kittens to figure out. Honestly D-Link, you need better support and documentation for these issues. This is the second time that this card gave me s***, including the bsod on startup issue.

;D Enjoy!  ;D

tgillis

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA-552 drivers do NOT work in Win7 ::FIXED::
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:38:40 AM »

Ya I had this issue as well, so far (fingers crossed) I managed to get it to work using the dlink driver and a full bios update (the last one seems to work best).

But I say fingers crossed because I still see a drop from time to time, DLINK NEW DRIVERS PLEASE?

tgillis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »

I tried this, still get crashes so far.  No wireless drops yet, just lockup.  I'll post more when I get more information.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »

I tried this, still get crashes so far.  No wireless drops yet, just lockup.  I'll post more when I get more information.

Hi tgillis,

Have you installed the complete D-Link Package or just the 64-bit Drivers?

Have you access to the Windows Task Manager in Windows 7 and sort the Display by CPU Usage?

Doesn't make sense to blame the Drivers, when Windows 7 is new and maybe some of the other programs may be the cause of the lockups in Windows 7.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

tgillis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »

Yes I've tried a complete D-Link package.  yes I've tried just the drivers.  Yes I can sort CPU usage.

Bottom line:  My PC has NEVER crashed aside from when I have this card enabled.  If I disable it and go through the wired connection, I have 0 issues.  D-link has sent me a new card, it has the exact same issues.  I have no other programs running that have caused even a single crash when the card isn't enabled.

And since they've only done one release of the windows 7 drivers, and several others have the exact same problem, I think it's perfectly fair to blame the drivers.

mmontpetit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »

Anyone who buys this product will have the same problem, I wish someone would have toll me about this before I bought the card, now I am out 60$ and D-LINK has no solution..

All I can say is that I will not advise anyone to buy their product....

tgillis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:18:40 AM »

Completely agree, all tolled this card cost me 60$ for the card, 70$ for the 100' ethernet cable to use while they told me to "wait a few weeks for a new driver" when they had no windows 7, 15$ in shipping when they said oh it must be a defective card, everyone else's works perfect.. And still no update since late November.

The most annoying part to me is how on the main home networking page on dlink.com they talk about how they are working with Microsoft to make wireless a seamless process, and how they have great support.. Yet EVERY single device that is quote Windows 7 ready is a ROUTER.  How the hell is that support?

I build a lot of networks and I'm now off dlink for good.

shura

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »

I spent $60 on DWA552 in December and I almost tried everything that I can do to make this damn thing work yet it still is not working. I called to DLink and all they were saying was check my PCI card slot. I hate Dlink since they don't have any plan for problems occuring on WIN7 but waiting for new driver updates.  :-[