• April 16, 2024, 01:21:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1210-16 tagged and untagged  (Read 7984 times)

arch

• Level 1 Member
DGS-1210-16 tagged and untagged
« on: August 06, 2010, 05:22:46 AM »

I just bought a DGS-1210-16 switch, and I have RTFMed.  However, I still cannot see exactly how the ports function.  In particular,

1. What does an untagged port do with a tagged frame?

2. What does a tagged port do with an untagged frame?

3. When, if ever, does a port tag an untagged frame?

4. When, if ever, does a port untag a tagged frame?

And so on.

In fact, how can the DGS-1210-16 be used as an edge switch?

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: DGS-1210-16 tagged and untagged
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »

1. I am making the assumption that you mean a tag frame that belongs to a VID that port isn't tagged on.  I believe it drops it, but this is the only one that is ambiguous in your list, some devices will ingress it tagged.  This should never be done by design, partially because of it's undefined nature, and partially because it would give you at best 1 way communication.

2. Every port is untagged on a single VLAN, if no other VLAN, then the default VLAN.

3. An untag port will tag all ingress frames on that port.

4. An untag port will untag all egress frames on that port.
non progredi est regredi

arch

• Level 1 Member
Re: DGS-1210-16 tagged and untagged
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »

Thank you, Fatman.

Yes, that's right; I was sloppy.  I should have said a port on a vlan whose vid is etc.

OK, I understand now that during configuration the tagging of a port determines its ingress and egress behavior.  That is what I needed to know.

I am currently setting up my apartment for a fiber optic connection, and the Livebox plus other stuff will be in one room and the TV decoder plus other stuff will be down an Ethernet cable in another room.  The Ethernet cable will carry frames for several different vlans between the two rooms. There is a switch at each end of the Ethernet cable.  I am sure that I will have more questions later.

Thanks, again,
arch