• April 23, 2024, 12:23:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Does DNS 323 support a UPS?  (Read 8359 times)

storemore

• Level 1 Member
Does DNS 323 support a UPS?
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:10:36 PM »

I've noticed that when I log into the DNS 323 and display the status there is briefly a "UPS Info" heading/section (just below the Printer Info) that disappears as soon as the HD Info gets updated and displayed.

I cannot find anything in the users manual on using a UPS.  So, my questions are:
1) Is there any published documentation
2) would the UPS Info remain displayed if indeed there was a UPS connected
3) aside from simply plugging the power cord for the DNS 323 into a UPS protected outlet for power;
    can the data/control cable from the UPS be connected to the DNS 323 (possibly to the printer port)
    --in my case the UPS is an APC Back-UPS BR 900
4) is the connect 2-way, such that the BR 900 can be 'set up' monitored from the DNS 323;  and more
    importantly, can the DNS 323 react properly and shutdown in response to such a command from the
    BR 900
5) would the connection be made with a standard RJ45-to-RJ45 cable, or does the cable have to
    be a 'null' modem

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Does DNS 323 support a UPS?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »

The original firmware did not support UPS monitoring (which explains why it is not in the manual), it was added later.  It's essentially a default installation of NUT - network UPS tools - and needs to have the UPS connected to the USB port on the DNS-323.

Google NUT if you want the details, but essentially here is how it works...

IF the UPS is on battery, AND the UPS has a low battery status, THEN the DNS-323 will shut itself down.

There is no monitoring of any UPS status other than on battery and low battery.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

amunoz_tico

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:59:47 AM »

I have a couple of question about this topic...

1- In my scenario, I only have one UPS for my equipments (computer and DNS-323 for example). How can I send a shutdown command to the DNS-323 when the UPS is connected directly to the computer ?  Can I do that? How?

2- What version of firmware support UPS?  1.07 or the 1.08 B5?

Regards !

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »

If you need to know what was added or fixed in a given firmware release, you check the release notes on the firmware page of the D-Link website - UPS support was added in 1.06.

It is possible to have your computer shutdown the DNS-323 before it shuts itself down through the use of scripts - here's one example
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.