• March 28, 2024, 10:12:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: RAID1: Two identical HDs or two different ones?  (Read 2870 times)

Zoe

• Level 1 Member
RAID1: Two identical HDs or two different ones?
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »

Dear community,

I about to purchase two HDs for my DNS-323; planned are two 1.5TB drives (as I want to copy files from a total of four computers on it via WLAN).

I am thinking of either the WD15EADS or Samsung HD154UI.

Now, is it better to install two identical drives or one WD and one Samsung? Someone has mentioned, that if I have two identical drives and there is a (systematical) problem with a drive, I will lose both HDs at around the same time, while different drives will give me some diversity and more redundancy.

So what do the experts think?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Zoe

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: RAID1: Two identical HDs or two different ones?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:19:08 AM »

It makes no difference either way - I would suggest you use caution with the WD drives, apparently some of them have some sort of advanced format that can cause problems, there is a sticky post at the top of the forum with more details.

One last thing - you'll probably find bulk data transfer over WLAN to be disappointingly slow, even if it's the latest greatest 802.11n WLAN.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Zoe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 04:43:43 AM »

Thanks a lot for the prompt response!

I am aware of the 4k sector problems, that's why I have the EADS model of the WD on my list (they do not use the "advanced formatting") instead of the EARS.

So basically you're saying I don't gain anything in manufacturer diversity?

I know that shoving all the data over WLAN is slower than LA rush hour traffic, but right now we exchange data via email (WLAN and then DSL), so speed is not the prime issue. It's actually more about having synchronzed data at one place...

Thanks again,

Zoe

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »

It's always a good idea to get drives with the same architecture/statistics, but I like to mix manufacturers. I have one WD and one Seagate HDD in each of my DNS323's.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Zoe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »

Hi,

since the Samsung's were on sale here I just went for two Samsung HD154UI. I hope the'll last a while....

Thanks for all your opinions and help. I'm sure I'm gonna have questions in the future :)

Zoe