• March 28, 2024, 03:57:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS 320 and OS X 10.6  (Read 72716 times)

cocomo

• Level 1 Member
DNS 320 and OS X 10.6
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »

Hi,

does anyone have the DNS 320 running correctly with OS X. I have one and can't seem to get it to work using Samba or AFP. On both share it will just hang when trying to access then.

Windows machines can access the share without any issue at all?

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS 320 and OS X 10.6
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 06:02:09 AM »

Hi,

"Glad" to hear I'm not alone with this problem.... I've been trying to get the DNS-320 work with OS X for a few days but have a lot of problems with it. I'm running OS X 10.6.6.

I can mount the NAS by SMB in Finder and it is possible to copy files. But when I try to copy a folder with files inside, the folder is created on the NAS but no files. Instead Finder hangs until I force it to quit. Haven't found any solution for this. Also, the browsing on the NAS is very slow with SMB.

I have also tried AFP but this doesn't work well either. With AFP (mounted in "mount server" in finder) it is possible to copy files and folders, at least small folders. I tried copying a few larger filer (around 700mb each) and the copying looked OK until about 50-60% was completed, then suddenly the AFP crashed. Once AFP crashed it is not possible to mount it again. I have a Windows computer as well so I accessed the NAS from windows and deleted all files in the directory .AppleDB in the root of the share that crasched. When this is done I can connect again but the problem re-appears as soon as I copy a large file again.

I have tried both over LAN and Wifi but there is no difference apart from the speed.

Last but not least, the Time Machine donīt work either. I can see the disk in Time Machine but when I select it for backup the process starts, Time Machine says something like "Connecting to disk" in about a minute, then it stops and reports an error.

I am so far very dissappointed with the device but hope someone can help to solve these issues. I hope there is simple solution to the problems or at least a new firmware on the way!

Anyone who can help with these problems?

Rgrds, Benny
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:32:40 AM by Tarblak »

cocomo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »

It fair to say you are having exactly the same issues as I am. I'm trying to work some things out.

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »

Sounds good, please let me know if you find something!

I am right now trying to access the NAS by the last option, NFS. So far I found out it's required to have the full path to a specific folder in the NFS setup to be able to connect, the share isn't enough. the full path to a share in a Raid 1 setup is /mnt/HD/HD_a2/share.

Right know OS X says I don't have permission to see the contents of the folder... Perhaps my mistake.

I really like the device from my Windows PC but it has to work from the MAC to be usable for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:40:06 PM by Tarblak »

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

OK so I got the NFS function running in OS X.

I am right now trying to copy a bunch of files, around 15GB data only to try it. It has so far copied 3GB and everything looks OK!

If anyone is interested I have written a small guide here:

Start by enabling NFS in the DNS-320. Open the web-interface to the DNS and do that.

Still in the web-interface go to Network shares and modify or create a new share. Follow the guide through and make sure to select NFS. When you reach the NFS details, in host, enter your computer's (That would be your Mac's) IP-adress without any slashes, only xxx.yyy.zzz.xxx. On the same page, tick the box write.

Then it is important to find the right path to your share. Go to the Mac, open finder and go to "Open Folder". In there write (Use your own NAS IP-address) /net/192.168.2.192/. The finder will open and show the path structure for you. In my case with Raid1 it was 192.168.2.192/mnt/HD/HD_a2/share. Be careful with the characters, it might be important as this is a linux box...

Now you are set to follow the instructions in this link:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/mac/?p=430&tag=content;leftCol Edit 20110113: There is a typo in the guide, Rsize value is wrong. I did some trial and error and the best value seems to be 8192.

I hope this helps someone! My solution still looks solid, having copied 9 gb by now!

I am though still wanting help to get the other functions running as they should with my Mac!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:34:20 AM by Tarblak »

lookingforinfo

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »

Thank you both for posting your experiences and what you have learned.  We have a D-Link unit servicing both Windows and OS X machines and all information is helpful.

The DNS-320 in not available in the United States, but it looks interesting.  The increased memory and processor speed, along with published capabilities, makes it look like a better long term option than the DNS-323.  Thank you for being the pioneers.

cocomo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:18:09 AM »

Great work Tarblak, I shall try this later today and see if it works for myself.

cocomo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:02 AM »

Yep I've got this working now using CFS. Seems to be the only solution for the moment if you are using OS X 10.6

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 03:15:11 AM »

Hello cocomo, good that it works!

What speed do you get? I get about 20 mb/s both up and down through gigabit LAN and about 7-8 mb/s by 300 mbit wireless. It seems a bit slower than from Windows although stabile, I could copy 300 GB data yesterday without any problems.

I did a few changes in my earlier description.

I changed the rsize value from the link in my guide to be 8192, that seems to give the best performance.

The setup seems better with the "Ignore "Set User ID Privileges" switched off.

Also if you use both wired and wireless LAN on the Mac you could add more than one IP as host in the NAS by simply entering all addresses with a space between each. Edit 20110113: My mistake, this didn't work. Only the latest entered IP-address could be used.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:35:35 AM by Tarblak »

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:10:29 AM »

Tried to get Time Machine running to an NFS disk but this seems impossible to do. At least I couldn't find a way for this.

Apart from the quite technical NFS connection the DNS-320 is so far useless for Mac. SMB, AFP and Time Machine enabled AFP is at the moment very unstable, at least if you have OS X 10.6.6.

I guess we now have to wait for the next move from D-link.

Anyone who have a different experience?

dream_theater_

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 04:37:51 AM »

Hi!

Got an DNS-320 me to. Is it possible that D-LINK will come up with a solution? Right now i have to acess my dns320 from my pc, and i'm not really ok with that.. 

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:40:45 AM »

Hello dream_theater_,

If you like you could always try the NFS guide earlier in the thread, it works OK to be able to use the device from the Mac at all.

dream_theater_

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:50:34 AM »

I tried to do that, but after your instructions i had some problems with the information in the link you posted. These two:

"

3.      For the remote NFS URL, use nfs://[hostname]/[export]; for example: nfs://fileserver.mydomain.com/srv.

"
How do i know what to change hostname and export with?
"
4.      For the local mount location, use something like /nfs/fileserver.

"

Use something like..?

dream_theater_

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 05:03:45 AM »

I've got an e-mail from the swedish d-link support, that said a new firmware will appear next week!

Tarblak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 06:43:47 AM »

I tried to do that, but after your instructions i had some problems with the information in the link you posted. These two:

"

3.      For the remote NFS URL, use nfs://[hostname]/[export]; for example: nfs://fileserver.mydomain.com/srv.

"
How do i know what to change hostname and export with?
"
4.      For the local mount location, use something like /nfs/fileserver.

"

Use something like..?

VERY interesting to hear about the new firmware! Did you get any details?

For the remote NFS URL I wrote (change to your own NAS IP-address and sharename) NFS://192.168.2.192/mnt/HD/HD_a2/share. Please see my other post about how to determine the full link to the share as you might have a different setup of disks. For the local mount location if you use /nfs/fileserver then OS X will create this as a folder on your Mac which you can see in the finder by looking at your system HD.

This is important, NFS WILL NOT be seen as a regular network share. You access the disk through the folder named as the local mount name.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:37:27 AM by Tarblak »
Pages: [1] 2 3