• March 28, 2024, 02:16:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DES-1228P all lights red on switch  (Read 59629 times)

cbunting

• Level 1 Member
Re: DES-1228P all lights red on switch
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »

I was told to come on this board and post my concerns, which  I already did. Who do I need to talk to, to get somewhere? I can't keep replacing these switches over and over again.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 08:56:45 AM »

Please PM me the name of the person who directed you to the boards if you have that information.

This is a place for D-Link users to interact, share stories and assist each other with the helpful hand of D-Link standing by to occasionally assist.  Complaints made here are not official and are not going to be read (most likely) by anyone with the ability to do anything substantive to assist you.

Our CS/RMA departments are the only place that could take an official complaint and they would be the only place in D-Link with the ability to redress your concerns.  I would take your RMA case ID(s) from tech support and then call them over the phone.  Give me the heads up if you need the number but it sounds like you already have it.
non progredi est regredi

jsievert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »

Figured I would join the fray as well.  Bought this switch for home as the primary switch.  I just received in my 2ed replacement in under a year.  Luckly D-Links RMA dept is easy to work with to get a replacement but it still sucks that my whole network is down for week while I wait for a replacement.  I am just a home user so I cannot afford to keep another one around.  Next time I think I will just buy a bunch of cheap SMC switches and POE injectors so I can afford to have spares.

cbunting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 09:50:58 PM »

Just replaced another one this weekend. Getting sick of 2 hour drives to replace them... guess I am going to ditch d-link. Such a shame, we were starting to sell a lot of their products, but after this bull, and no action on -dlinks part to correct it, I can't keep selling their products

4CCT-Telecom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »

Just had another 1228P fry yesterday H/W A1 F/W 1.20.12
Funny thing last RMA they replaced a H/W A2 with a H/W A1
Odd  :o

4CCT-Telecom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »

Another one bit the dust today.
Hardware version A2.

RogerStrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »

We installed four DES-1228P switches just over a year ago.  So far we've had to replace them six times.  One is being replaced right now.

They're not just used for PCs.  Our phone system relies on them as well, as does our Visa machines.  When a switch dies, it takes down a large part of our company for half a day.

This can't continue.  Telling people to simply RMA the switches isn't enough.  We can't keep having this down-time.  With a life-span of weeks, they're worthless once the warranty runs out.

It's obvious from reading this thread that this is normal for the DES-1228P.  I'll be polite and merely call the model a lemon.

Will there be a recall, or any other means of addressing the DES-1228P problem?  Or is this normal for D-Link in general?

4CCT-Telecom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 08:43:58 AM »

lost another switch yesterday afternoon. We are unable to keep any
stock as the failure rate with these switches is excessive.  >:(

paulg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 06:56:25 AM »

:(

Our DES-1228P died this morning - all lights lit up and reset doesn't fix the issue.  Luckily, I have a 7-year old spare switch that I can use as a backup.  I guess this was a bad choice.  Purchased last November.  I'll be calling for an RMA.

RogerStrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »

Another switch just died, half the company is down right now.

We don't have a spare - it's already in use while another switch is replaced.

Of our four D-Link switches, we've had seven die in just over a year.  Others in this thread have shown this to be normal behavior.  There's no recall and D-Link is silent on the issue, so I can only assume that this GARBAGE is typical of all D-Link hardware.

Marty

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »

I have always used dlink switches for our agency.  Until the 1228P I haven't had a problem.  Unfortunately this batch has been horrible.  9 out of 11 switches have been RMAd as well as 2 of the newer replacements.  The two that have survived are in the coolest data closet being around 65 at all times.

RogerStrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 08:56:58 AM »

We finally had our vendor replace all our D-Link switches with another model.  With D-Link treating a >100% failure rate as perfectly normal behavior, it was the only option.

JJS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 07:00:39 AM »

Another one just died. Here is the tally:

(4) A1's have died
(1) A2 has died (this was a replacement)

THIS IS JUST CRAZY!! THE WORST PART IS SUPPORT DOES NOT ADMIT TO ANY FLAW WITH THE DEVICE. JUST MY BAD LUCK!!!?!?!?! I SAY BS. I WANT AN EXPLANATION!!

*UPDATE* - Lost 2 more since my last post. I ordered  new HP Procurves.  I guess I will RMA all the broken 1228p's and throw them on Ebay.  Apparently you get what you pay for. Over and out.

JJS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »

Ha!! My latest replacements showed up. One looks like it just came back from Iraq and has huge beat up rubber feet on them the previous customer must have installed.  Classy operations D-Link!

Also. The box didn't have the CD bracket screws etc.  Watch I'll probably get charged for that stuff. Last time they had the nerve to charge me for friggin rubber feet. This is crazy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:22:37 AM by JJS »

jmvelez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »

I had 8 Trendnet PoE 24 ports similar to DES-1228P.  They all failed 2 times or more.  They gave me refund.  I replace them with DES-1228P and Linksys Poe switches.  The DES-1228P were the new hardware version.  Already 6 have failed of the DES-1228P in less than 6 month.  They send the replacement via 3rd class mail which takes 3 or 4 weeks to arrive.  The boxes are received in bad shape (I already replace the customer with a new unit).   We have 3 Linksys/Cisco with no failure.  The only issue is that Cisco/Linksys removed the 24 port out of the market and the  new unit has only 12 PoE ports.

Dlink they do not provide any solution besides replacing them.  The cost of shipping this units is $35 each and Dlink should refund this expense and provide a faster replacement free of charge.
Pages: 1 [2] 3