• April 16, 2024, 03:58:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Upgrade without backup  (Read 5166 times)

troos

Upgrade without backup
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »

I have version 1.02 and would like to update the firmware to 1.04

I do not use any built in features like PnP, or media services, just a plain file server.

The drives were formatted on the DNS-323 in the local file (linux) format.

What is the likelyhood of losing my data on the drives during the upgrade?

I have a 1 terabyte and a 750mb drive installed.  It would take a week to back them up...

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Upgrade without backup
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »

If really depends which version of 1.02 you are using. If its 1.02b and you are using the linux format ext2 you should have no problem upgrading from 1.02 -> 1.04 without losing your data or requiring a backup. However as others would state it is always wise to have a backup of your data somewhere else.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »

I have a 1 terabyte and a 750mb drive installed.  It would take a week to back them up...

You have to ask yourself... How long would it take to recreate the data, if something went wrong?

troos

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:21:08 PM »

Can the Drives be unmounted, then the firmware updated?  Mounting the drives one at a time in order to validate.  And then backing down to 1.02 if they have a problem?

It is firmware 1.02 12/8/2006

Thanks for all of your help...

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:14:47 AM »

Unfortunately we did not add the feature to upgrade with unmounted drives until firmware version 1.03. Anything before 1.03 required that the drives be in the system during an upgrade.

Are you using your drives in Raid 1 or as seperate volumes? You do not need to have BOTH drives present to do the upgrade prior to 1.03 but you do need to have atleast 1. Also if you have a unused sata drive like a 40gb or 80gb sitting around anywhere you could remove your current drives, use this dummy drive as your new drive and perform the upgrade using it. Once the upgrade is finished you could power down your unit and reinsert your original drives.

troos

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:09:52 AM »

Great idea!  I have plenty of extra drives laying around.  I will upgrade using them, and if it does not work, I will downgrade it back.  <SLAPPING FOREHEAD> Why didn"t I think of that....

Thanks!!!