• March 28, 2024, 11:20:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Front Panel Amber -- Or Pink  (Read 14764 times)

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
Front Panel Amber -- Or Pink
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:22:11 AM »

I have a new issue with the DNS-323.

First the configuration:
-2 WD 500GB Drives RAID 1
-Firmware 1.05
-No printer
-Large iTunes Lib Approx 300 GB

Everything has been working fine until last night.  I noticed this morning that both drive lights an the Blue D-Link button were amber-ish (or maybe pink its hard to tell) in color.  The unit was alive via HTTP and the IP address but was not visible on the network.  I logged in and restarted the system and everything came back up for about 4 hours -- I leave for lunch come back and everything is back to amber/pink.

I am in the process of rebooting now.

The only thing different is last night I enabled FTP, created a user and give permissions to a dir and opened a port on my DIR-655.  Come to think of it I was never able to get to the directory after logging in via FTP.

Any ideas?  Are there log files I can review?

Greg
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:50:32 AM by jgj10 »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Front Panel Amber -- Or Pink
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »

Very strange behavior...What firmware were you using when you formatted and configured  your drives?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »

I think it was 1.03.  Since my last reboot I have been running for almost 3 hours and no issues both in sleep mode and awake.  Also no status changed in the web interface or an email???

Should I re-flash with 1.05 again?

I did schedule a ftp opening on my router tonight (although I really don't think that has anything to do with it) -- I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the response.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:19:38 PM by jgj10 »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »

If you can't tell whether the LEDs are amber or pink - then they're not amber - they can light blue only, amber only, or blue & amber together in different proportions which causes them to show colors that I have seen described as pink, purple & white - but when they're blue or amber, it's a definite blue or amber.

The unit is sensing some sort of a problem with the drives, but I don't know what, and it may be confused - reports like this were quite common with 1.04, but I think this is the first I've seen with 1.05 - if you have the space to back up the data, it might be a good idea to reformat the drives if they were infact formatted last under 1.03.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »

I was going to recommend the same. If you can backup your data and format with the 1.05 firmware. This is quite strange but I believe it will help if the issues continues.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »

UPDATE:

Thanks for the color/formating advice.  But I found it hard to believe that the filesystem could cause this kind of problem, especially since it happened randomly and not on os boot.

So..I reset to factory settings and reconfigured and its been running fine for almost two days with no problems.  A config issue must have confused the OS?

Greg
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:51:00 AM by jgj10 »

Kleinfreak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 11:51:21 PM »

I am experiencing similar behavior (definitly pink led [combo of blue/amber] and not amber) after moving my switch last night.  My initial fear was that one of my harddrives had failed or a hardware/fan or power supply failure since the unit had been moved for the first time yesterday.  I'm still not completly convinced this is not the issue as it's far too coincidental.  :(
I bought the unit with firmware 1.03 on it as I recall.  I am now using 1.05.  I did reflash the firmware to see if it would fix the problem but it did come back after a few hours.  I will try a full backup, firmware and reformat and post back.

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:05:22 AM »

Hello -- try this:

Go to tools -- system -- restore to factory settings.  This won't harm the data just reset everything.

Also -- are you using the print server -- that causes more problems that it's worth IMO.

I think my issue was related to configuration.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:07:57 AM by jgj10 »

Kleinfreak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »

Hello -- try this:

Go to tools -- system -- restore to factory settings.  This won't harm the data just reset everything.

Also -- are you using the print server -- that causes more problems that it's worth IMO.

I think my issue was related to configuration.

Thanks jgj10, I'll definitly try that first.  Yes I had attempted to use the print server at one time and had since removed the printer but the service was still running.

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »

Try this also to "hard clear" the queue. There are known problems with the print Queue which could give you issues.

Use Windows to view the root dir of the Volume_1 file system.  In Windows explorer make sure you have "tools-folder options-view" with the SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS CHECKED so you can see "hidden" files.  After that you should see a .lpr directory.  Delete that directory (it won't hurt anything) it will recreate itself next boot.  Unplug the printer and reboot the box.

Kleinfreak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 06:05:50 PM »

I can't seem to find .lpr dir. 
.systemfile is the only hidden folder I see

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »

The hidden /.lpr folder was changed to a different location with fw 1.05, and a button was added in the web interface to clear the queue.

I also don't think the print queue and it's contents have anything to do with this particular problem.

Kleinfreak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »

Hello -- try this:

This seems to have done the trick.  No pink ot purple lights yet. 

Many thanks.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »

You need to be careful with that restore to factory default settings - do you have any idea what the outcome would be if you did that on a system running JBOD, RAID0 or RAID1 ?

Kleinfreak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »

No what would happen? 
I set RAID1 and re-formatted after the restore.
Pages: [1] 2