• April 25, 2024, 03:02:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NAS USB HDD thrashing slow  (Read 2058 times)

andwan0

• Level 1 Member
NAS USB HDD thrashing slow
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:24:52 AM »

Sometimes when I connect a FAT32 USB HDD and after a while, my NAS becomes awfully slow. I notice my USB HDD LED is flashing violently, but am not using the USB HDD at all.

Then I want to reboot my NAS but the power button does nothing. I have to physically disconnect my USB HDD. Then the NAS power button will turn it off.

Anyone else notice this?

PS: current firmware 2.05 (05/07/2014)

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: NAS USB HDD thrashing slow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »

I think you may have a problem with the USB hard drive, or more correctly the the USB electronics in that drive.  First thing to do is to check the temperature of the area of the drive housing the USB to HD chip.  If it is powered from the USB port you are asking for trouble because if you pull too much power from the USB port on the NAS the +5v line will drop to a dangerous low level which causes the USB/hd chip to overheat.  In that case you would be well advised to use a powered hub to connect the drive to the NAS.

We have seen that type of behaviour in USB powered drives used with laptops and in one case the USB/hd chip burnt out taking the USB subsystem of the laptop with it.

We always advise anyone that wants to use a USB hard drive with any NAS to use one that has a separate power supply, that way there are no problems.