• April 25, 2024, 09:49:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why do Read/Write permissions suddenly change on DNS 323 folders & files?  (Read 11818 times)

optical10

• Level 1 Member

Ok guys with this following error message "You require permission from Unix User\root to make changes to this file", I'm rapidly running out of control of the folders in the NAS.
No only can I not delete folders or files in sub folders but now I cant create files like .txt or unrar or unzip into any folders!
I had a similar issue of not being able to delete files mid last year, which I resolved by telneting into the NAS & updating the firmware etc.
But my question is how did this issue recur a year later & how can I prevent it in the future?
Any help much appreciated.)

DNS 323 version B1, firmware 1.08 latest
DNS 2 x Seagate 750 GB HD's non-raid non-jumbo
Virgin Super Hub Router (Netgear CG 3101D)
TCP Link  8 port gigabit  Switch

WIRED
Notebook Realtek PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Desktop Dual Realtek PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
WIRELESS
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Android Tablets (802.11bgn

lozinthevilla

• Level 1 Member

I seem to be experiencing similar things like this to.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member

Strange, I was running 1.07 and updated to 1.08 when it came out and have had no issues at all like this. Running 2x1TB HDDs in Raid1.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Buhric

• Level 3 Member

Try doing a reset to default... it should also reset the permission on files/folders...

Theres sureley a more complicated wasy  to do it using FunPlug.... but since I don't use it, I don't know how...

birdog

• Level 1 Member

I have the same problem. Can't delete certain files and folders. Tried resetting to factory defaults and logging in as admin, but that didn't work.

I would telnet in as many have suggested but after trying numerous methods, I could not get fun_plug to install... but I shouldn't have to hack this box just to delete files.

Dlink, please get your act together and fix this problem!
DNS-323 rev C1, fw 1.0.8, 2x 1.5TB seagate drives

laempliflicker

• Level 1 Member

Hi

Same problem here. I had it coming up all of a sudden with Firmware 1.6 and now again with 1.8 (did post that in an earlier thread).

A reset to default settings and reboot does solve temporary but it comes back.

Some points I noticed :
- Only happens if you have users and access rights configured (kind of obvious)
- In my case it only started when I upgraded to Snow leopard on one client and to Win 7 64bit on another client (might be coincidence though)
-When loggin into the device with ftp I can see the access rights of the files in trouble are set different than the others.

Maybe that helps to track it down...

birdog

• Level 1 Member

I've tried deleting the files/folders via FTP using a client called Transmit in OS X. Transmit lets you alter file permissions, but according to Transmit, all the files/folders that I want to delete I have full read/write permissions. Anyway, that didn't work - either with my configured user or after resetting to factory defaults.

I also tried to delete within a virtual instance of WinXP. When I checked the properties of the files/folders in question, they said read only, so I deselected the read only option and waited for windows to update the files, and then tried to trash the files. Again this didn't work.

I've given up. I'm currently in the middle of backing everything up and once that's done I'll be reformatting the drives.
DNS-323 rev C1, fw 1.0.8, 2x 1.5TB seagate drives

optical10

• Level 1 Member

okay this is getting extremely tedious ???

After telnet'ING through putty several times a week and resetting the files and folders with the, "chmod -R 777 /mnt/HD_a2/BT" command I have now lost this option as well, or some inexplicable reason?

Can anybody tell me how to escalate this issue here in this forum or directly to dlink?

incidentally I have also seen this issue reported with other manufacturers NAS, Windows 7 being the common  denominator! in those threads a workaround of turning off "thumbnail caching" and logging off and on again was recommended but alas it has no effect.

I'm  extremely reluctant to break the raid and reformat the drive's with the latest & current firmware in situ, which I'm using, if this issue is going to reappear like it has done months down the line previously.

How are you other guys getting along, any help appreciated.

WIRED
WIRELESS

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member

I've never seen this issue using RAID1 2x500Gb drives, 1.07 and 1.08 firmwares, 2 user accounts, XP, Vista and W7. I don't have any packges or FFP running- just standard setup.

You could create a fun_plug text file on the root with chmod -R 777 /mnt/HD_a2 or similar. Each time the box boots it would reset the file permissions. Not sure why you would have to.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

Is Mac OS being used in all of these instances?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member

I think it's worth answering the Mac question to put this issue to bed...

In all the posts I've seen about it, the words mac or snow leopard come in to it.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

optical10

• Level 1 Member

sorry about the delay in replying, I have no reason why I didn't get your e-mail notification? Anyway my fault for not posting my signature but I'm using windows 7.

Thanks for asking

WIRED
WIRELESS