• March 28, 2024, 02:39:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dropped Connection and Slow Connection issue  (Read 19089 times)

Rockstar

• Level 2 Member
Dropped Connection and Slow Connection issue
« on: November 22, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »

Hi, it seems that after a while my router suddenly keeps on dropping the connection (4 to 5 minutes to specify)
This happens to all of my devices as well

Here are the things that i've done
> Upgrading and downgrading the firmware (Between the firmwares 1.00 to 1.04)
> Also made a reset before and after upgrading to make things very easy
> I've also tried to save and load the configuration before and after the upgrade as well
> Played all of the 11 channels for the 2.4GHz, and at the same time, I am also receiving this problem through
   the 5.0GHz section (Which is beginning to be a big frustration on my end)
> Channel width was on automatic
> And my 802.11 mode are mixed since I am using wireless G, and N connection
> Enabling the multicast streams from the advanced settings didn't made the trick
> By the way from Hardwired connection I only have the slow connection issue whereas
   from the internet plan that I bought from comcast is their Extreme (105mbps)
   and the bottomline is that I am only receiving 50 or less percentage from what I am paying for from
   them. I do manage to contact the comcast people and they told me that there is no such problem
   on their end
> Disabling the QoS engine didn't became a great help (I am using 5 to 10 devices, and would happy to
   add a new device on the group any time)
> Short GI might have done the trick (But it only takes effect from my mac computers) and it kinda
   damage my other machines
> I do connect it directly to my DSL-520B and the connection is perfect
> Also have used another DSL modem router device from dlink which DSL-2890AL (I wish Dlink might
   provide one of these someday, I love it) and it is working like a charm
> After taking some notes from all of the troubleshooting that I have made, it seems I have no other
   clue on how to solve this

I apologize for having such a long post, but it seems that I feel frustrated from what is happening here. Much appreciated for those who's going to answer my problem.

Note: Before considering this as a defective and a faulty router (Never blamed dlink for this though)
         I need to know if there could be a different way to fix this.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Dropped Connection and Slow Connection issue
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:32:14 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »

Any status on this?  ???

Hi, it seems that after a while my router suddenly keeps on dropping the connection (4 to 5 minutes to specify)
This happens to all of my devices as well

Here are the things that i've done
> Upgrading and downgrading the firmware (Between the firmwares 1.00 to 1.04)
> Also made a reset before and after upgrading to make things very easy
> I've also tried to save and load the configuration before and after the upgrade as well
> Played all of the 11 channels for the 2.4GHz, and at the same time, I am also receiving this problem through
   the 5.0GHz section (Which is beginning to be a big frustration on my end)
> Channel width was on automatic
> And my 802.11 mode are mixed since I am using wireless G, and N connection
> Enabling the multicast streams from the advanced settings didn't made the trick
> By the way from Hardwired connection I only have the slow connection issue whereas
   from the internet plan that I bought from comcast is their Extreme (105mbps)
   and the bottomline is that I am only receiving 50 or less percentage from what I am paying for from
   them. I do manage to contact the comcast people and they told me that there is no such problem
   on their end
> Disabling the QoS engine didn't became a great help (I am using 5 to 10 devices, and would happy to
   add a new device on the group any time)
> Short GI might have done the trick (But it only takes effect from my mac computers) and it kinda
   damage my other machines
> I do connect it directly to my DSL-520B and the connection is perfect
> Also have used another DSL modem router device from dlink which DSL-2890AL (I wish Dlink might
   provide one of these someday, I love it) and it is working like a charm
> After taking some notes from all of the troubleshooting that I have made, it seems I have no other
   clue on how to solve this

I apologize for having such a long post, but it seems that I feel frustrated from what is happening here. Much appreciated for those who's going to answer my problem.

Note: Before considering this as a defective and a faulty router (Never blamed dlink for this though)
         I need to know if there could be a different way to fix this.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Rockstar

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »

Since we do have 2 updates for the firmware of the DIR-868L AC cloud router, we do have
some changes that through the logs and statistics, that dropping of packets decreased for 50%
Whereas I am only receiving this issue once a day. By using a third party application to view
the used wireless channel through the area other than my own LAN, it seems all channels but
7 is unused. Even if choosing the channel 7 manually then locking up the 802.11 mode to wireless N only
Then channel width is only setup as 20MHz. Unsure if enabling 20 - 40 co existense from
Advanced would be a conflict from this. From the 5GHz I did just use the mixed wireless AC and wireless
N so far and locking up the channel 165 since it is also unused. Reserving the IP address from all of the
devices did not make any changes here. Hardwire connection does not seem to occur anymore whatsoever.
I did all of what I also have done from my recent post here
and issue still persist. Still wondering if this device would be a defect? I know it happens once a day
but people who is too sensitive with quality would prefer it as a severe defect from the router's wireless
connection for both AC and N.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »

Well if you could fill in the questions presented, this will help us get a better idea of your situation.

So channels 1, 6 and 11 are all used up by other neighbors?

Also if you are running single mode N on 2.4Ghz, you can disable HT20/40Mhz Co-exhistence.
This will explain this feature: Good Neighbour Policy

For the 2.4Ghz radio, try this as a test:
  • Try setting Medium or Low power output settings and test again Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

I would recommend upgrading to v1.07 as i'm currenly using this on my 868L. If you do decide to upgrade, please follow this to do it:
FW Update Process

Maybe someone can review your router settings with you using Link> teamviewer if your interested. Its safe and secure.

Rockstar

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL? Cable since my ISP is Comcast
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? DSL-2890L and DSL-520B, both
are modem router though. I know it is for "DSL" but I did set it up as Dynamic connection

What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have? Down: 105mbps and
Up: 50

Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values By default, since this is a cable connection, it is by
default 1500

For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Already solved the problem here

Wireless Configurations
Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual. SSIDs are different, for both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz through my network and neighbor's network
What wireless modes are you using? Router mode only
2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.Already done this, so far no changes
Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. All of the preferred channels are all occuppied so I used channel 7 which is
the only available and unused wireless channel

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES. Locked it up to WPA2 only while encryption is AES only
What wireless devices do you have connected? Too many to indicate in here, but can tell you that I do have 20 (Which is 10% of my devices in my home) are connected to it, although I did try to isolate all of the devices to the router (1 on 1) wherein the issue still persist, same as 20 of my devices connected to it
Any cordless house phones? Nope, I had a landline connection through mobile phone
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Channel 7 is the only unused from the routers outside my internal network
If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. Already done this as well which did not help as well

So far, only my transmission power rate is the only thing I haven't setup. I wanted
to make an observation for this. So the response might be tomorrow or the day after tomorrow

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »

Are you using the WiFi on the DSL modems at all?
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. I would recommend bridging the modems and not using the WiFi on the modems.

Seems that if your 2.4Ghz channels are being used up, you could be experiencing some WiFi congestion and need toManaging Signal Congestion

Let us know how the preliminary changes work tomorrow.

NaranKPatel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »

I'm also experiencing this after periods of heavy use like large downloads.

I'm not sure what you'd like in terms of my configuration to simulate.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?

• What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

I'm also experiencing this after periods of heavy use like large downloads.

I'm not sure what you'd like in terms of my configuration to simulate.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL? Cable since my ISP is Comcast
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? DSL-2890L and DSL-520B, both
are modem router though. I know it is for "DSL" but I did set it up as Dynamic connection

What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have? Down: 105mbps and
Up: 50

Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values By default, since this is a cable connection, it is by
default 1500

For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Already solved the problem here

Wireless Configurations
Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual. SSIDs are different, for both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz through my network and neighbor's network
What wireless modes are you using? Router mode only
2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.Already done this, so far no changes
Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. All of the preferred channels are all occuppied so I used channel 7 which is
the only available and unused wireless channel

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES. Locked it up to WPA2 only while encryption is AES only
What wireless devices do you have connected? Too many to indicate in here, but can tell you that I do have 20 (Which is 10% of my devices in my home) are connected to it, although I did try to isolate all of the devices to the router (1 on 1) wherein the issue still persist, same as 20 of my devices connected to it
Any cordless house phones? Nope, I had a landline connection through mobile phone
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Channel 7 is the only unused from the routers outside my internal network
If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. Already done this as well which did not help as well

So far, only my transmission power rate is the only thing I haven't setup. I wanted
to make an observation for this. So the response might be tomorrow or the day after tomorrow