• April 19, 2024, 08:44:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Is true SSL (TLS) supported for SMTP email in the 655?  (Read 4441 times)

DCIFRTHS

• Level 2 Member
Is true SSL (TLS) supported for SMTP email in the 655?
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:15:04 AM »

Hi,

I would like to send my logs to an SMTP server that requires full log on (user name, password, specific port) using SSL / TLS. I know that there is a box that in the email logs page that allows me to turn on SSL, but I am unable to get it to work. I have tried every possible combination user name/password/port that I can think of, but have had no luck. I get the following errors:

[WARN] Thu Jun 11 23:58:22 2009 SMTP client failed to send email
[WARN] Thu Jun 11 23:58:22 2009 SMTP failed during sender/recipient dialog

What I would like to know is: Is true SSL (TLS) supported for SMTP email in the 655? Are there any limitations in the implementation in the 655?

I realize that I may be missing something simple, so please suggest anything that you think may help.

Thanks!

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Re: Is true SSL (TLS) supported for SMTP email in the 655?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:19:36 AM »

Which firmware do you have?

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:36:19 AM »

Hi,

I would like to send my logs to an SMTP server that requires full log on (user name, password, specific port) using SSL / TLS. I know that there is a box that in the email logs page that allows me to turn on SSL, but I am unable to get it to work. I have tried every possible combination user name/password/port that I can think of, but have had no luck. I get the following errors:

What I would like to know is: Is true SSL (TLS) supported for SMTP email in the 655? Are there any limitations in the implementation in the 655?

I realize that I may be missing something simple, so please suggest anything that you think may help.

Thanks!

DC, are you using Windows XP Professional? If so, I stumbled across this in the Windows installation disk. I have no idea if this is even relevant but I have copy/pasted from the notes on the CD.

SMTP Authentication
This note pertains to Windows XP Professional only.

You can configure the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service in Windows XP to require clients to authenticate before issuing mail commands. When you install or upgrade to Windows XP Professional in a workgroup, the authentication options NTLM (formerly called Windows NT LAN Manager) and Generic Security Services API (GSSAPI) do not work because a registry key is set that forces guest-only authentication.

You can solve this problem by setting the force guest authentication registry key.

For more information, see article 304707, "SMTP Authentication Configuration on Windows XP Professional Edition," in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

DCIFRTHS

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:28:49 AM »

I just came back to update to my post, and I see that there are two answers. I must have not enabled notification for this thread. Weird. Anyway...

I am using firmware version 1.21.

I am not using Windows XP Professional,but the router shouldn;t care about my OS as it's the router that is sending the email, not the OS. Correct?

Thanks for any help as I am still unable to get this to work. Currently trying with a Gmail account...