• April 25, 2024, 08:18:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Samsung TV sees DNS-320 but not media files  (Read 27088 times)

martynmoore

• Level 1 Member
    • Business website
Samsung TV sees DNS-320 but not media files
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:27:18 AM »

Busy forum. Tried searching but haven't found quite the same issue. Many similar, so apologies if I missed a solution somewhere.

Installed two seagate 3TB drives OK as RAID 1 and moved media files over from PC and iMac. I have enabled UPnP (whole Volume_1) but when I refresh it times out. When I login again it says it refreshed successfully.

The DNS-320 can be seen and accessed by two PCs, an iMac, a Powerbook and an Android tablet.

My Samsung TV (UE37ES6710) can see the DNS-320 but none of the media files on it. It says there are no media (video/audio/photo) files on the device, yet I know there are many of all kinds of file type.

I've installed the beta firmware 2.03 but would really prefer not to resort to Twonky or similar if I can help it. But I'd give it a try if people think it will let my Samsung TV see and play the files. That's the main reason I bought the DNS-320, to free up computer disk space and watch on my TV. It seemed the perfect solution.

UPDATE: I tried taking the ethernet cable out of my £700 Samsung TV and put it into my £70 Samsung Blu-ray player. The player sees and plays all the files on my DNS-320, so I can live with that. Downside is that the TV now relies on wireless connectivity for web-based applications. Sigh. Can anyone explain this, and help me get the expensive TV to be as smart as its cheap neighbour?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:43:43 AM by martynmoore »

martynmoore

• Level 1 Member
    • Business website
Re: Samsung TV sees DNS-320 but not media files
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »

For the benefit of anybody struggling with a DNS-320 and a Samsung smart TV, I installed Twonky. I paid about £5 for the media player software that sits in its own directory in Volume_1.

http://nas-tweaks.net/384/installation-of-twonky-server-7-on-nas-devices/

My IT skills are not great but I took a deep breath, followed the instructions very carefully and it worked first time. Very satisfying, too.

TIP: You need to install FunPlug first, which is very easy [http://nas-tweaks.net/tutorials/] and copy the commands line-by-line into terminal/PuTTY.

Roskoken

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:10:17 AM »

To be honest mate I had zero issues with an external HDD and Samsung allshare.  After using a DNS 320 I abandoned my TV and allshare, for some reason it is not compatible with the DNS 320 the way it was with every single other HDD on the planet, also you can forget mkv files.  Dunno why, anyway this is the best set up ive come across with it

connect the DNS 320 to modem connect an old all pc/laptop to modem then connect old laptop pc your TV and install XBMC the old pc/laptop and use your DNS 320 as the target directory.

Id say XMBC is light years ahead of any media center software ive used.

martynmoore

• Level 1 Member
    • Business website
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:38 AM »

Cool. Even more help for other users. Thanks for the info.

I can see how that set up will work. I like the look of XBMC and see that some people are using it on a Raspberry Pi computer. At risk of sounding like a geek, that looks interesting.

As for the Samsung TV, I use a USB dongle to watch 'borrowed' films and a Maxtor 500GB external drive for recording and pausing live TV - both with no problems. And the TV sees all the shared folders on networked PCs, too. Like you, just the DNS-320 that was awkward.

Cheers Roskoken.

Roskoken

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »

No worries man, XBMC once set up will pretty much blow anything away with its interface, any "borrowed" movies you may have open up in an ultra slick interface thats ripped TV/Movie posters off the internet. All your medias displayed like cinema posters, gives you nice plot summaries of EVERY movie and TV show, cast, director etc.

You can also use it to stream netflix, freeview channels and any "live streams" wink wink through it, ive pretty much replaced my sky box with it.

Also you can buy a Microsoft Windows Media Center remote in Maplin for a tenner, pop the USB dongle in your XBMC machine, windows installs it automaticly and thats you, works perfectly for navigating around XBMC.

And this is all just in the standard build lol, the mods/skins for it are ridiculous and has a massive community support.

Cant really recommend it enough

If you go down that route mate, gives us a shout how it goes, happy to answer any questions about it cause its ****ing awesome.  Also makes life a lot easier for the family to watch all my "borrowed" media lol.

nzstu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »

Hi

Whilst is doesnt help the samsung "smart" tv to connect to the NAS, putting XBMC on to an apple tv (hacked) makes for a nice elegant solution.

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Apple_TV_2_(black)

Geekwannabe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »

Hey all,

I've been following a few forums on this topic and looking for suggestions for an IT novice.

I have a DNS323B running two 1TB drives. I've recently had it connected to my router and accessed via multiple wireless devices and media streamers without issue.

I've now purchased a Samsung SmartTV and have the DNS connected via ethernet using the router as a switch. The TV can 'see' the DNS-323 but indicates there are no files on it, when I know I have lots of folders and files.

The DNS box is in an enclosure in the garage and I don't want to have to have another device attached to it (which I think is what the XBMC solution is suggesting) just to enable it to share. Can you suggest any actions I can take to get the TV 'seeing' my folders and files? Would the FunPlug/Twonky install solve my problem?

Would appreciate any help.
Cheers

balage2001

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:09:34 AM »

Hey Guys,
I have the same problem.
I haven a DNS-320L and a Samsung UE55F6510 and it looks like I have no media on my hard drive.
Could anybody find a solution for this problem?

Thanks,
B

gcoxii

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »

i had the same issue a while ago, except mine was on a sharp aquos tv. if your blue ray can see it but the tv can't chances are it is a divx, m4, ect..issue. I learned that mp4 and the such are just containers , it is what is in those containers that matter. my t.v. only plays divx, mp4, wmv files, even then i might download a mp4 and it won't show up. i literally had to convert a movie multiple times to see which setting would play on my t.v. Also, put your moives in folders, (ex: movies\cars2\then the movie file), i do this when i upload someting and don't see it. For some reason if i put it into a folder under my movie folder it works, idk. i tried the twonky media server but it wasn't for me. i hope this helps.