The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-820L

Poor Signal, no way to fix

(1/4) > >>

esham:
Just got this router a few months ago.  Went through all the trouble of setting it up but then hit a huge wall.
My house is not wireless friendly and the lack of an external antenae is killing me.

I have an old Linksys WRT54G sitting next to this router just for my 3DS needs.  Since i set up that 2nd router my Dlink needs to be reset once a day.

Lan works fine on the DLink still (wired pc) but every wireless device goes no where.  the fix?  reset. go figure.

Should have known better to think DLINK has gotten much further in the business.  Back to my old Asus router from 8 years ago that is still more stable than brand new Dlink devices.

As for how to help, is there a new firmware coming out for this device?  I basically have a dual band router that isn't dual band as the wireless N is so weak it can't get 1/4 the distance of G.  Sure my house has walls etc but my old, ie: 8 year old, external antenae router gets 2x the signal this new router does.  

That is on G though.  N is a complete poop shoot. 1 wall and i go from 5 bars to 1.  2 walls and 0 signal.

Looks nice though, but feels like this router is a dud due to the lack of any information on the internet about it.

Also, please no copy/paste answers.  I have configured this router 5x over to be able to have working wireless G in my house.  But introducing a 2nd router next to it has crippled it.  I will probably have to neuter the tx settings on the linksys to give this router a chance.

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

* What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
* Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
* What region are you located?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy

* Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
* What wireless modes are you using?
* 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
* Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
* Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
6' minimum safe distance between devices.

If the Linksys is right next to the 820L then I presume this is probably the main cause of the wifi issues. Any 2.4Ghz radio near any other transmitting radio will cause interferences and problems.

I highly recommend moving the Linksys AP far away from the 820L as possible and use different channels. Put the 820L on 11 and the Linksys on channel 1.

esham:
I think they only make A1 versions of this router and there is 1 firmware 1.01 which i updated to.  I live in canada if it helps.

The routers are about 6' apart though.  They work perfectly fine the majority of the time.  The wifi on the 820L just drops and only a reset will recover.

820L is on channel 11, 1 router next door (i live in a house) is on channel 6.  Linksys is on channel 1. 

N wireless isn't even worth mentioning.  after 1 wall signal cuts in half.  2 walls and i get nothing.  Just no oomph.

I wonder how hard it would be to extend the antennae on this thing.  I know i will void the warranty but at this point i have a sexy $89 paper weight that i can't return as its too late. 

FurryNutz:
What happens if you go single mode N and disable HT20/40Mhz under Adv/Adv Wireless?

esham:
I will check when i get home Furry.  iirc i turned off everything on N to see how much signal i could squeeze out of it before interference took over.  

Is there any recommended settings for stability over speed?  I am not really caring about wireless N at this point, i just tire of having to reset the router daily or every other day.  

I am pretty sure i got N on 20mhz but i recall their being a bunch of "extra's" that my google-fu didn't resolve for me. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version