• March 28, 2024, 09:35:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: "Failed to Map Drive" & HDD2 is degraded message  (Read 4122 times)

sanj97

• Level 1 Member
"Failed to Map Drive" & HDD2 is degraded message
« on: January 27, 2017, 10:34:09 AM »

Hi folks.

Firstly - I'm new - but I have been reading some of the other threads of a similar nature.

I have the DNS-323 with FW 1.08 and owned for about 6 years.

I hadn't used it for a few months, and powered it on. I noticed errors in the logs saying "HDD2 has failed".

Summary
- DNS-323 with 1.08FW connected to Win7 Laptop
- ADSL NetGear 6200 Wireless Modem router (DNS-323 is directly connected via Ethernet LAN to the Modem)
- Previously has worked fine with no changes to the NAS/Modem/PC for atleast 1.5 years
- NAS has been powered off for approx 4 months and since powering on (last week ~16th Jan) this issue has occurred
- HDD2 (left hand side) has a solid blue light
- HDD1 (right hand side) has a blinking blue light (not seen any other colour)
- Logs indicate HDD2 has failed intermittently message
- Have removed HDD2 and ran a disk scan on HDD1 --> reached 90%
- Then, removed HDD1 and ran a disk scan on HDD2 --> failed immediately.
- With 1 or both disks inserted - easysearch finds the disk on the network each time. However, when I try to "Map Drive" --> after 20 seconds it fails (Failed to Map Drive).
- Also tried to map drive in Windows Explorer but get the same error.

So, I suspect either hardware fault with HDD2 or some issue with syncing?

I was hoping with HDD1 connected only, I could access my data and save to my PC.

I have about 500GB of mainly photos/videos I would like to recover.

Any suggestions / advice?

Thanks in advance.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: "Failed to Map Drive" & HDD2 is degraded message
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »

Do you have a backup of your data?

How were your drives setup, RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD or standard disks.  If they were RAID 0 or JBOD then with one bad disk you have lost your data.  If it is RAID 1 then replacing the faulty disk and allowing the array to rebuild you should be able to continue using the unit.

Be aware that if you are using windows 10 it has some problems with its CIFS/SMB implementation which could be the reason you can't map the drive.  Have you tried using 'Network' in windows explorer to find the NAS on the network and if so can you access the files there?

To check the integrity of your drives you need a USB/SATA caddy or adapter that has an external power supply and the disk manufacturers Disk Test Tools (usually a free download).  Install the disk tools, attach the drive to test to a USB port and start the tests.  This will show if the disk has a problem and, hopefully, what it is.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: "Failed to Map Drive" & HDD2 is degraded message
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

Hi folks.

Firstly - I'm new - but I have been reading some of the other threads of a similar nature.

I have the DNS-323 with FW 1.08 and owned for about 6 years.

I hadn't used it for a few months, and powered it on. I noticed errors in the logs saying "HDD2 has failed".

Summary
- DNS-323 with 1.08FW connected to Win7 Laptop
- ADSL NetGear 6200 Wireless Modem router (DNS-323 is directly connected via Ethernet LAN to the Modem)
- Previously has worked fine with no changes to the NAS/Modem/PC for atleast 1.5 years
- NAS has been powered off for approx 4 months and since powering on (last week ~16th Jan) this issue has occurred
- HDD2 (left hand side) has a solid blue light
- HDD1 (right hand side) has a blinking blue light (not seen any other colour)
- Logs indicate HDD2 has failed intermittently message
- Have removed HDD2 and ran a disk scan on HDD1 --> reached 90%
- Then, removed HDD1 and ran a disk scan on HDD2 --> failed immediately.
- With 1 or both disks inserted - easysearch finds the disk on the network each time. However, when I try to "Map Drive" --> after 20 seconds it fails (Failed to Map Drive).
- Also tried to map drive in Windows Explorer but get the same error.

So, I suspect either hardware fault with HDD2 or some issue with syncing?

I was hoping with HDD1 connected only, I could access my data and save to my PC.

I have about 500GB of mainly photos/videos I would like to recover.

Any suggestions / advice?

Thanks in advance.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.