• April 16, 2024, 11:52:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Vista drivers without Wireless Connection Manager?  (Read 8698 times)

Mayhemm

Vista drivers without Wireless Connection Manager?
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »

Does anybody know where I can find the updated DWA-142 drivers only; without the connection utility?  Early XP releases gave you the choice of drivers-only for manual install or the WCM for automated install, but now all D-link provides is WCM's setup.exe.

In Vista, the WCM doesn't always start automatically (or does and then crashes) so I must manually start the program every time.  It always loses its connection, making it impossible to access the internet or my network reliably.  The most annoying thing is it usually says it's still connected (even though it's not) and doesn't allow Vista to repair the problem.

Mayhemm

Re: Vista drivers without Wireless Connection Manager?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »

Solved this one myself actually.  You need to have 3 files specific to your operating system.  When the DWA-142 is detected, direct the New Hardware Wizard to the directory containing

Windows XP:   mrvw245.cat
                      mrvw245.sys
                      netmw245.inf

Vista (32-bit):  mrvw24b.cat
                      mrvw24b.sys
                      netmw24b.inf

Vista (64-bit):  mrvw24c.cat
                      mrvw24c.sys
                      netmw24c.inf

The easiest way to do it (for XP and Vista32) is to first install D-link's Wireless Connection Manager (which includes the drivers), since finding an archive/installer with just the driver files is difficult.  Then locate the relevant files above using Windows search and back them up to a location of your choice.  Finally, uninstall the D-link utility (which will likely remove the adapter drivers as well) and reinstall the adapter using the files you copied.  For Vista64, you will have to track down drivers on your own, since D-link has not posted any.  I've outlined how to do this in the x64 driver thread for this adapter here on the forum.

Regardless of OS, I find the DWA-142 much more reliable without the WCM gumming up the works.

Note:      I've never used 64-bit XP, so I don't know if its driver files will be different.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:50:14 PM by Mayhemm »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Vista drivers without Wireless Connection Manager?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »

Good post! ;D