• March 28, 2024, 03:44:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Today I bought a DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wi-Fi Router  (Read 10972 times)

bence560

• Level 1 Member
Today I bought a DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wi-Fi Router
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »

Hello everybody!
Today I bought a DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wi-Fi Router, and I'm sad to say that I'm less than satisfied with it. The first one I bought I had to return, because after upgrading the firmware from v1.03 to 1.05B05 it didn't load certain pages (like the d-link support page, from where I could've downloaded other firmware versions, or the d-link forums with people discussing similar problems, and many more). After some inconvenience I managed to download firmware 1.06B01, which didn't help at all, some pages still didn't open at all, I couldn't download files to my computer (connected via cabel) or to my phone (connected via wifi). I have to mention, that I downloaded the firmware from http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-879, not through the admin interface of the router. When I try to check for firmware updates there, it says I'm using the latest version.

At this point I returned the router to the retailer, where they exchanged it to a new one that I'm currently using. This time I didn't upgrade the firmware, and it seems to work fine.

This baffled me so much, I had to come here, creat an account and write about my experiences. I'm seriously considering returning this router too, because customer support seems to be subpar at best, since the only answer anybody seems to get at this forum is to contact their regional support center through phone, because it's faster. My other gripe is the firmware upgrade, which makes the router useless, which is a first time for me. I've used multiple routers throughout my life, but never have I encountered an official firmware upgrade rendering the router worthless. There is no indication on the site that the update is regional, or might not work in certain regions, only to check the hardware version.

Some background info: I'm currently in Szeged, Hungary. My ISP is DIGI Távközlési és Szolgáltató Kft., my subscription is for 1000/200 Mbit/s. I'm by no means a network administrator expert, but I've been managing family networks for well over a decade, so I can usually find my way around most problems.

Have a nice day everybody!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Today I bought a DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wi-Fi Router
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• Has a Factory Reset been performed?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
  Please follow this Link for updating FW> >FW Update Process

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-879 and this forum site is for users in the NA region. I recommend using your regional site and regional FW for loading your router: http://www.dlink.com/hu/hu/products/dir-879-exo-ac1900-wi-fi-router#support There are differences between regional FW which maybe causing what your seeing. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

This forum is here if you need help in troubleshooting. However users outside of the NA region will need to contact there regional D-Link support office for anything beyond that.

Also some versions of FW are beta and will not show up on "checking for FW updates". Only when officially released will they show up in the routers update page when available. However, again, please check on your regional support site for FW updates. You can always manually install FW and you can always manually downgrade FW as well if needed.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:47:21 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.