• April 28, 2024, 10:06:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: The differences of DIR-825 to DIR-855 for $100.00+ more?  (Read 10907 times)

HedgeHocker

• Level 1 Member
The differences of DIR-825 to DIR-855 for $100.00+ more?
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:08:21 AM »

Moderators or Admin can you help me please?

I'm a new D-Link supporter.  I've purchased a new DIR-855 ..but it hasn't shipped.  I noticed the new DIR-825 product after I made my purchase.  I had been waiting for the new DIR-855 to mass produce but I understand that is not happening intentionally (D-Link Support says).

So what I need to know, very soon, are the key differences between these two routers.  I'm most interested in what makes the DIR-855 cost so much more.  I have seen the articles and forum discussion on smallnetbuilder.com but I didn't get real definitive answers there and I'm left wondering if I am buying or have bought too much router and should cancel and get the DIR-825.

I don't have much time to be able to cancel my order...

I'd really appreciate an official word, just a brief list of key component or build quality differences.  This information would be great to see on the main D-Link site (to admin/mods).

This has been asked at least twice but there's been no official response. 

Please.
"The attatchment upload directory is not writeable."

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: The differences of DIR-825 to DIR-855 for $100.00+ more?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:20:50 AM »

Not sure what else is different on in the forum description, the DIR-825 router is described as "w/o LCD screen."  W/O is a usual shortcut for writing "without" therefore the 855 has a LCD screen and the 825 does not.

creat0r79

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »

and apparently 825 has 2 antennas and 855 3.

arklab

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »

See DLink announcement http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30587/97/

I feel that the more important question(s) on the DIR-825 side - at least for me - are practical in nature.
(In all cases please compare the 825 with the new 855 A2 hardware.)
I also assume that the 855 new firmware is RELEASED to enable shareport and other features, bug fixes, etc., at LEAST in beta form! 

1)  Are there any internal component differences that affect quality of use?
                If so, what are they - please specify with part numbers that can be researched.

2)  Are any 855 functional features (save the OLED screen and extra antenna) missing from the 825? 
                 Anything that would affect how we use the router or how well or easily it works?

3)  Does the lack of the 855's third antenna affect the range or throughput of the 825?

4)  Are similar DIR-855 firmware "bugs" found in the DIR-825 firmware?

This information is important to the end users to come to a rational decision.

Thank You

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:43:15 AM »

First, D-Link has a standpoint that internal compents are proprietary information.
We are not required to release this information to anyone for personal use.

As for the 825 compared to the 855, what you see is what you get.
Feature wise their identical. The 855 is a 3X3 solution. That means it has 3 send and 3 receive antennas. The 825 is a 2X3 solution, that 2 Send and 3 receive. (there is an internal one.)
This can effect distance, but usually doesn't.

As for the chipset, let me say this. The DGL-4500, the DIR-855, the DIR-825 all share the same platform, we simply add or remove features/componets.

Bugs? NONE OF OUR PRODUCTS HAVE BUGS. LOL J/K. So far so good. I've not received any reports of anything too troubling. Check the forum for that product and ask around.

I hope this helps.

HedgeHocker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 09:42:06 AM »

It does help and thank you.  I understand the position on disclosing the internals.  I have seen for myself that the 855 has heat sinks where the 825 does not.  I don't think the 855 will be overheating.

I got my 855 for $240 new and shipped by FedEx so even if it's only mildly better, and considering the $199.00 MSRP of the 825, I don't feel I got a bad deal.  I'm one of the few who will actually use that OEL display, lol, because I will be sitting right across from where it sits on the table and I won't have to get the router BIOS up or use a widget or whatever to see some basic information.

The 825 seems like the real bargain if it holds up to the 855 well.  In professional testing I have seen the A1 (old) DIR-855 is 8% faster than the current DIR-825 A1.  The 855 is supposedly a bit quicker now in A2 thats currently available ..so I'd guess, conservatively, at least 10% quicker... faster.  I don't know if that means much but this is to help inform the reader/shopper.

If I could chose over I'd get the 825 but with the price I got on the 855 and since it already shipped I'll happily stick with my DIR-855.

Thank you for helping us on the forums Lycan.    ;) ::) ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:09:37 PM by HedgeHocker »
"The attatchment upload directory is not writeable."

arklab

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »

First, D-Link has a standpoint that internal compents are proprietary information.
We are not required to release this information to anyone for personal use.

As for the 825 compared to the 855, what you see is what you get.
Feature wise their identical. The 855 is a 3X3 solution. That means it has 3 send and 3 receive antennas. The 825 is a 2X3 solution, that 2 Send and 3 receive. (there is an internal one.)
This can effect distance, but usually doesn't.

As for the chipset, let me say this. The DGL-4500, the DIR-855, the DIR-825 all share the same platform, we simply add or remove features/componets.

Bugs? NONE OF OUR PRODUCTS HAVE BUGS. LOL J/K. So far so good. I've not received any reports of anything too troubling. Check the forum for that product and ask around.

I hope this helps.

SPOT ON!   ;D
Thanks so much, Lycan  ... just the info I was hoping for to make an informed decision!

Oh, and my apologies for noticing the very small can of special non-conductive, non-capacitive RAID bug spray packaged with the routers.
It was stuck to the bottom of the box - I hope everyone finds theirs.   ;) 

Thanks again

ggravier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »

What I can add is that I have a DIR-855 with the latest firmware. Strangely enough, the latest firmware I downloaded from the Switzerland/German D-LINK site : ftp://ftp.dlink.de/dir/dir-855/driver_software/

And with this firmware comes full shareport support. The "All Multi" is the firmware you want (v1.23EUb07). The Recovery one is if you flashed with a US firwmware previously and want to revert to a EU firmware (this impacts the transmission frequencies / channels available).

I *LOVE* my DIR-855. Decided for it some time ago. And am on the process of throwing away all of my old Linksys routers. :D

Oh... one thing missing... I would love to have antenna cables so that I could move the antennas, spread them 1 or 2 meters from the router itself to cover 2 floors of my house. One above. 2 bellow.

Cheers,
Gilles.