• April 17, 2024, 08:00:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Formatting error  (Read 26399 times)

jeremycbcd

Formatting error
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »

I have a DNS-321 with firmware 1.0, with 2x Western Digital 750gb hard drives (model WD7500AYYS-01RCA)

Whenever I try to format the drives (trying to do raid-1 mostly, but have attempted every format type given), the format process stops at 94%. After rebooting the DNS-321 or waiting a few minutes, it will occasionally show the disks as 2 useable seperate disks. At one point I put a small file on one of the drives to see if it was mirroring and just not showing, but the file did not mirror and the file has remained there after multiple format attempts, so at the very least it's not formatting the second disk.

Any suggestions?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Formatting error
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »

When formatted in RAID one you should get a single Volume_1. Once you had to separate standard volumes and tried to format in RAID1 it looks like it just is not doing it when it stops at 94% its not finishing. Try installing the drives into your PC and remove any partitions from the drivers and try formatting in RAID1 again
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jeremycbcd

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:43:09 PM »

Just to make absolutely sure, I ended up doing this a few times. When I just deleted the partitions and quick formatted them and put the drives back in the DNS-321... the file i had put on the drive was still there, and they were both seperate partitions still.

I just finished a full format, put the drives back in the DNS-321, and so far the format just isn't working (freezing again at 94%)
These drives were brand new, right out of the box.

When formatting the disks, it says the maximum format size is 748gb, instead of ~698gb (advertising GB vs actual GB, or however you want to call it (10^9 vs 2^30)), so no clue if that matters.

I've tried keeping an IE window/tab open to the administration page and refreshed the screen so it doesn't log me out of the administration control panel, along with just leaving it alone to do it's thing.

Also, just noticed that below the status bar, starting somewhere between 20-30% one of the frames in the popup (using the Tools -> Raid method) shows an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error, but I am not sure what page it is trying to load.

Firefox 3 (Safe mode) just freezes at 94% too, with no error message.

Tried in the initial menu (log in and it automaticailly prompts you for format type) as well as in Tools -> Raid

Computer: Vista Home Pro, using IE7, Firefox 3 (in safe mode), both the PC and the DNS-321 are connected to a gigabit switch. I do not have any spare SATA drives to throw into the DNS-321 for additional troubleshooting.

Let's see... any other information I am missing?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:49:33 AM »

Remove the partition with your PC. Do not format.

jeremycbcd

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:23 PM »

What I've done: (in order)(trying to be thourough)

Format multiple times on the DNS-321: FAILURE (occasionally gives me 2 partitions, but not RAID-1, even when RAID-1 is selected)

Installed drives into PC, removed partitions, attempted re-formatting in DNS-321: FAILURE (similar to above results)

Installed drives into PC, removed partitions, formatted on PC, attempted re-formatting in DNS-321: FAILURE (at least this time it isn't just formatting as individual partitions)

After above, installed drives into PC, removed partitions, attempted re-formatting in DNS-321: FAILURE (as always, freezes at 94%, and even after waiting a few hours with the device on, it still shows the drives as needing formatting)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »

Both hard drives same issue? I would recommend returning the device to the point of purchase and try this with another unit. The unit seems to be defective the the drives used are just not compatible with the DNS-321. Here is a list of tested drives on the DNS-321.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=3072&question=DNS-321

bbobbo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »

i ran into this same problem with a hitachi 750gb drive. i started the format of the drive, and it stopped at 94%. what seemed to be the problem for me was that i initially logged into the dns-321 using the device name (i.e., http://[name]). i also got the "unable to load web page" error.

the solution which worked for me was to log into the dns-321 using the ip address instead. it formatted fine after that.

not sure if that was your problem, but it sounds similar.

BillGalbraith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 07:17:06 PM »

I have two different DNS-321 on my desk right now. One I have tried to configure in a standard mode. It did not complete the format (hung at 94%), but through some fluke, after powering off and back on, the drives are formatted. The other one I am attempting to configure with a partial RAID configuration (100 Gig of 750 Gig per drive). The drives are new, out of the bubble-wrap Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB, on the D-Link tested list of hard drives. As suggested, I attempted to get to these through Internet Explorer using both the name and the IP address, but have gotten the same result. Any more ideas on how to get the DNS-321 to format my drives and not hang at 94% complete?  Is there a firmware upgrade beyond ver 1.0 as delivered?  The DNS-323 page seems to indicate that the firmware would work on the DNS-323 and DNS-321, but I was unable to get this installed.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 05:39:20 AM »

The DNS-323 page seems to indicate that the firmware would work on the DNS-323 and DNS-321, but I was unable to get this installed.

Which part of the DNS-323 page "seems" to indicate this?

The closest I can come to that is a FAQ that outlines the procedure - which is the same - but that does not indicate that the actual firmware is the same.

Given the fact that the hardware IS different - the DNS-323 includes a USB port that the DNS-321 does not have, it would seem to me, to be a distinctly risky thing to do.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

BillGalbraith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »

Which part of the DNS-323 page "seems" to indicate this?

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, since I looked at every D-Link page that I could find on the subject. I t might have been at the top of this page:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2430&question=DNS-323%20/%20DSN-321%20/%20DNS-343

Still, my original question remains. The DNS-321 has been working on a RAID-1 format for over 12 hours now. Will it ever finish, or what can I do to make it happen?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:45:20 AM by BillGalbraith »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »

I don't know about the DNS-321 (I have the 323) but 12 hours seems a little long - I have 250 GB drives and I don't recall it taking longer than perhaps 20 mins or so - so I'd guess at an hour tops for 750s - but 12 hours - no - you have a problem of some sort.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

Please try these steps if you see a format hang up in 94% during RAID fault tolerance test.

1. Use 1.05 firmware
2. Clean the web browser cookie (tools-->internet options-->delete cookies).
3. Do the raid1 format again.

Try another browser if you still see this issue on your PC.

BillGalbraith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »

Please try these steps if you see a format hang up in 94% during RAID fault tolerance test.

1. Use 1.05 firmware
2. Clean the web browser cookie (tools-->internet options-->delete cookies).
3. Do the raid1 format again.

Try another browser if you still see this issue on your PC.

There is no firmware update available for the DN-321, only the DNS-323.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 11:38:49 AM »

Oh yes I am sorry skip that step shipping firmware is available only at this time for the DNS-321.

Please try clearing your browser cache and if you are using firefox please try IE if that fails. 

BillGalbraith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 12:00:21 PM »

Oh yes I am sorry skip that step shipping firmware is available only at this time for the DNS-321.

Please try clearing your browser cache and if you are using firefox please try IE if that fails. 

I am using IE, not FireFox. I'm on hold right now with Tech Support. If they don't produce anything, I'll give your suggestion a try. I don't see how it's going to help get it through a formatting, though.
Pages: [1] 2