• April 24, 2024, 11:41:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: If you've moved to 2.03, do a speed test of your online conn.  (Read 12168 times)

bigblugone

• Level 1 Member

I upgraded, or downgraded it would seem, to FW 2.03. My surfing was not going well. Pages were loading slow or not at all. I think that was an ISP issue at the time. I gave up surfing. I went to my ISP's local speed test site later and ran it. My d/l speed was showing up at what it should have been but my upload was a third of what it should be (My surfing was better by now). I should have been getting 3Mbps up but was getting just under 1 Mbps. I did an online chat with my ISP to see if there was a problem in the area and they said there was none. They suggested at one point to connect my modem direct to my PC leaving the router out (I should've figured that one myself). I did that and the down AND UP was where they should be.

I shut everything done and rebooted the modem and the router and reconnected the router in the mix. I ran the speed test and the down was still fine but the up was back to a third of what it should be. I did the recheck one more time with the modem direct to PC and got the right down and up. So now I'd decided the router was causing the problem. I did a reset and only got the router to connect online. I didn't change or set any other settings. The issue still existed.

All that was left now was the move to 2.03NA. I moved back to 2.02 which the process didn't go well but it did finally get there. I reset again just to make sure and reset my connection. I ran the speed test and it was where all where it should be. Reading this forum sure makes it look like the 2.03 is not a good release. I really haven't had much problem with 2.02 but have read some people have. It may be with features that I don't use.

I would definitely run a speed test with your ISP and see if you're getting what you're suppose to. If you're not, take the router out and run the check again.

I FORGOT TO MENTION THIS IS ON A REV B DIR-825.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:32:31 PM by bigblugone »

FoolioMagoolio

• Level 1 Member
Re: If you've moved to 2.03, do a speed test of your online conn.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »

That's interesting.  I'm going to hold off on upgrading the firmware until further notice. 

bigcid10

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

turn off advanced dns
this fixed it for me

bigblugone

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:25:24 AM »

turn off advanced dns
this fixed it for me
I might try that. I just have to find the time to re-flash to 2.03 and be prepared to go back again to 2.02 if what worked for you doesn't work for me. Flashing back to 2.02 didn't go smoothly and I'm not sure I'm ready to go thru that just yet. Thanks for bringing it up.

I have a case with D-Link as I informed them of the issue I had and they did respond. Since I'm not sure if they monitor this forum I'll reply to them again and tell them of your finding and maybe they can check into it. When they responded, they asked me for my modem model and my ISP. I gave them that info so maybe they can test it for themselves and tell me if it worked for them and save me the hassle.

I wonder....did they add the setting you changed or did the default change from 2.02 to 2.03, because I didn't change a setting that you mentioned above ever that I recall. Matter of fact, I used a setting backup after flashing to 2.03 to restore my previous settings.

Thanks again for the info.

rickm1350

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »

here's my setup to my computer, using the DIR-825 to a wireless ethernet point on 802.11A.  It works great.. I stream Netflix movies all the time with no stops, hesitations, or rebuffering.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:11:53 AM by rickm1350 »

bigblugone

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:27:36 AM »

here's my setup to my computer, using the DIR-825 to a wireless ethernet point on 802.11A.  It works great.. I stream Netflix movies all the time with no stops, hesitations, or rebuffering.

Well...that's great...I guess...rick, but your post doesn't relate at all to why I opened this thread. You are fortunate to have the speeds you show(and why did you show, just to brag?) and should have no problem with NetFlix in the first place. If your up speed offered by your ISP is what you are getting then you appear to not be affected. FW 2.03 made my upload one third of what it was suppose to be(what I pay for). Your results may be what they are and good for you that you can stream NetFlix but the question is are you getting the service level you pay for, which I bet is considerably more than I pay and I could probably stream NetFlix myself with the service I have. As I said in my original post, after moving to FW 2.03 my down speed was still fine but my up speed was a third of what it should be and what is was while using FW 2.02.

Have you compared the up speed results to what your ISP states they are suppose to be providing you? This was the reason for the thread and not how fast your connection is. FW 2.03 messed up my up speed only, not my down speed. I moved back to FW 2.02 and everything was good.

I have been given advice above by bigcid10 which I may try. I received a response from D-Link support today with something related but not exactly what was suggested by bigcid10 and I'm going to try ASAP.  It is just a hassle upgrading FW and then having to go back because the new version didn't work properly. I have more incentive now because I have 2 things to try to fix the issue. I'm just not sure why it changed between the 2 versions. I'll post back once I try things out.

bigblugone

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:21:52 AM »

I flashed to 2.03 again and I did what D-Link said to do and it was still affecting my up by reducing it to one third of what it should be. I did a speed test right before flashing and right after. My down was fine both times but my up was much slower after upgrading and changing a setting D-Link asked me to change.

[bigcid10] I looked at what I believe you wanted me to turn off but it was already turned off if I was looking at what you were talking about. I was on "SETUP" to "Manual Internet Connection Setup" Then under "INTERNET"-"WAN" and moving down to "ADVANCE DNS SERVICE"...it is and was unchecked already. If that wasn't where you were wanting me to make a change, please let me know the path.

I went thru the downgrade and the forced hard reset back to 2.02. I ran the speed test and all was good again. I'll probably be staying on 2.02 until a new version comes out over 2.03 if they even release one.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:52:20 AM by bigblugone »

bigcid10

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 02:01:13 AM »

no,that was what I was talking about
your situation was probably a firmware issue then
                         thanks,bigcid10

Another Joe

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:14 AM »

I just updated to firmware 2.03NA. I'm not experiencing any problems yet. My upload internet speed remained same as before with firmware 2.02.
Motorola SB61B1
DIR-655 Rev B
DWA-160 Rev A (2)
DGS-1005G
Synology DS212J: 2-1TB HHD
Seagate USB 2TB back-up
Foscam FI-8910W ip-camera (2)
D-link DCS-930L ip-camera

ghridr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »

The death of my upload speed happened to me as well as soon as I went to 2.03.

Just put the router in place with stock 2.02. Unbelievable speeds on internal Comcast(DOCSIS 3.0) speedtest.

2.02 - 52.24 Mbps down and 28.40 Mbps up.

I thought I would go ahead and do the firmware upgrade now before I configured the router and bam...

2.03 - 42 Mbps down and 1.27 Mbps up.

*** that is not a mistype it went from 28 > 1 with the firmware "upgrade" ***

I flashed back to 2.02 and then did the button reset(pretty painless) downgrade back to 2.02 and I am now back to 27 Mbps up again.

I bought this router because my DGL-4500 was doing the same thing. 30+ down and 0.4 up but take the router out and it was huge numbers. I'm now wondering if its a firmware issue on my dgl-4500 as well.

Anyway I like this router so I will stay with it but I'm not going back to 2.03.

Another Joe

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

My internet speed kept same with 2.03NA but my data transfer within the NAS went down to 1 MB/s. I tried to flash back and the router went blank and is not longer working. Be careful flashing back to 2.02 or better yet never go to 2.03.
Motorola SB61B1
DIR-655 Rev B
DWA-160 Rev A (2)
DGS-1005G
Synology DS212J: 2-1TB HHD
Seagate USB 2TB back-up
Foscam FI-8910W ip-camera (2)
D-link DCS-930L ip-camera

d1gw33d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:35 PM »

I've had similar issues lately as well though its on 2.02NA and its my download with issues. Upload is fine.

I have 50/10 Mbps service from Comcast and usenet / speed tests are showing 30-40 Mbps instead of the normal 62. If I bypass the router I get the normal 62 Mbps.

Galudan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »

To those having speed issues with any firmware. Try going under Advanced Tab then Advanced Network, then changing the WAN Port Speed setting to 100Mbps instead of Auto 10/100/1000Mbps. Also could try changing the Network Cable between your Modem and Router to a CAT5e cable if your using a CAT6 cable. As if the firmware isn't programmed correctly it may be detecting the Cable as being able to handle 1000Mbps and setting the Port Speed at 1000Mbps, when the Modem itself can only handle 100Mbps. Which would cause packets to be lost between the Router and Modem when the Router tries to send data to the modem at speeds well above what it can handle, causing a decease in download and upload speeds.

NickFie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »

Appreciate the advice. Just bought an 825, upgraded it to 2.03 before configuring. Got 25 / 12 speed test results on my 35 / 35 FiOS connection.

Flashed back to 2.02, it kept my config but couldn't communicate past the D-Link itself, even after power-cycle. Hard reset and a manual reconfiguration got me operational.

Now I get a consistent 42 / 36 on the speed test, same as with Ethernet cable.

Would love to be able to set the WAN port into Bridge mode - Apple AirPort can do it, for heaven's sake.

Thank you for the report. Now I have the speed I sought.

nolodie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »

Had the same problem with 2.03NA, and the only solution was to revert to 2.02NA.  I tried both Advanced DNS and setting the WAN speed to 100 Mbps.