• March 28, 2024, 08:14:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DAP-1360 Help needed  (Read 58243 times)

Rikko

• Level 1 Member
DAP-1360 Help needed
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »

I need to know if the D-Link DAP-1360 Wireless N Range Extender is compatible with a Linksys WRT400N wireless-N Router.

Thanks

DaveMori

• Level 1 Member
Re: DAP-1360 Help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:54 AM »

It should be fine.
One thing that you should realize is that this is a very new product.
I have only had mine for a few weeks.
I travel a lot on buisness and I have made it work with the following:

Linksys WRT54G
Linksys WRT300N N1 Draft
Belkin Basic G
Netgear WG614G
Dlink
Airlink AR430W
Sonicwall

I have been using the D-LINK DAP-1360 strictly as a REPEATER and range extender, not an access point, as I bought it because wireless signal strength in offices and hotel conference center locations can often be weak.

The setup software for the DAP-1360 is a little weird, but once you have set it up it is not an issue.

for a Repeater you configure the DAP-1360 very simply.   You login to it via web browser, just as you were setting up any wireless router.

Then you set the router up as a repeater, and enter in the SSID and any required passphrase for the wireless network.  EXACTLY the same way you would set up your iPod Touch, iPhone, or any Laptop or Netbook to use any wireless network.  No different.

drawback/plus: you can only repeat ONE SSID network per DAP-1360

You do not need to hardwire the DAP-1360 to an ethernet network.  It just works at that point.

Some wirless device clients may not detect an increase in signal strength, but it will be there, just the same, and performance will be solid.  The repeater boosts and repeats when it detects traffic for the SSID, so don't expect to see five bars of constant signal strength - but it is working always, and it works works fine.

Suggestion: use a utility beforehand to discover what CHANNEL the wireless network is on.  Make sure that you set up the DAP-1360 to match the same channel used as the SSID you want to repeat.  a Free utility on your iPod Touch or iPhone like eWiFi  will list the channels in use by the wireless network SSID.

Common sense rules here.  If your wireless network has restrictions on access using MAC filtering, you will not be able to get access unless all devices, including the DAP-1360 are in the access list.

I have had occasional drop offs only in one instance when the SSID was far away and there were four other wireless networks using the same channel, but that was due to contention for channel use, not due to anything that the repeater was doing. 

tonewheelfreak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:27:27 AM »

I've also got issues with my just purchased dap-1360...does anyone know if is it compatible in REPEATER mode with my Belkin N+ router? I basically can't get anything to work on it...no browser access to start with. HELP!

jjacklord

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »

I bought it as a repeater, to use with my Linksys E4200.

But I could not access the admin pager, so I just hooked it up as an access point, and let Windows set it up automatically.

In that sense, it works with Linksys, and should also work if you are able to make it a repeater.

But I'll say forget it and buy the Aztech WL556E, my post about it here :

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=23283.0

I was about to go buy Netgear or Hawkins, but luckily stumbled on Aztech.  They have some other very interesting gear.

billo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »

It should be fine.
One thing that you should realize is that this is a very new product.
I have only had mine for a few weeks.
I travel a lot on buisness and I have made it work with the following:

Linksys WRT54G
Linksys WRT300N N1 Draft
Belkin Basic G
Netgear WG614G
Dlink
Airlink AR430W
Sonicwall

I have been using the D-LINK DAP-1360 strictly as a REPEATER and range extender, not an access point, as I bought it because wireless signal strength in offices and hotel conference center locations can often be weak.

The setup software for the DAP-1360 is a little weird, but once you have set it up it is not an issue.

for a Repeater you configure the DAP-1360 very simply.   You login to it via web browser, just as you were setting up any wireless router.

Then you set the router up as a repeater, and enter in the SSID and any required passphrase for the wireless network.  EXACTLY the same way you would set up your iPod Touch, iPhone, or any Laptop or Netbook to use any wireless network.  No different.

drawback/plus: you can only repeat ONE SSID network per DAP-1360

You do not need to hardwire the DAP-1360 to an ethernet network.  It just works at that point.

Some wirless device clients may not detect an increase in signal strength, but it will be there, just the same, and performance will be solid.  The repeater boosts and repeats when it detects traffic for the SSID, so don't expect to see five bars of constant signal strength - but it is working always, and it works works fine.

Suggestion: use a utility beforehand to discover what CHANNEL the wireless network is on.  Make sure that you set up the DAP-1360 to match the same channel used as the SSID you want to repeat.  a Free utility on your iPod Touch or iPhone like eWiFi  will list the channels in use by the wireless network SSID.

Common sense rules here.  If your wireless network has restrictions on access using MAC filtering, you will not be able to get access unless all devices, including the DAP-1360 are in the access list.

I have had occasional drop offs only in one instance when the SSID was far away and there were four other wireless networks using the same channel, but that was due to contention for channel use, not due to anything that the repeater was doing. 

Thanks Davemori

I have been trying to connect the DAP-1360 to use as a repeater by following the notes in the D-link manual. I could not for the life of me get it to connect as a repeater (range extender) after following all the set up procedures and then adding the 1360 to the network through a Ethernet port, as the manual indicates. I had problems where I would lose the connection to the ISP (using a DPC 3825) on my other workstations due to conflicts. Your suggestion, NOT to connect the 1360 to the network was brilliant. After set up just plug in the power and let the 1360 run without adding the 1360 to the network. The wireless portion worked just as you indicated. I am running the 1360 in a room that has a cement wall between The Shaw DPC 3825 modem. The wireless works great now. I did down load a WiFi analyser as you suggested and now can see both the DPC-3825 and the DAP-1360 wireless signals. Thanks again for your help. 

mtaylor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 04:12:29 AM »

What if the default ip address does not open on the browser?
I am trying to set up my DAP 1360 in repeater mode, but the address 192.168.0.50 does not open on the browser.
Now what?
Thanks!
Michael

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:08:45 AM »

Have you set up a static IP address temporarily on your PC using 192.168.0.51 and see if you can connect?
How about connecting wired to the DAP to get to the DAPs web page?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:18:21 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.