• March 29, 2024, 01:36:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 860L IPv4 multicast/broadcast Issues  (Read 8495 times)

jcberg

• Level 1 Member
860L IPv4 multicast/broadcast Issues
« on: December 16, 2014, 03:25:05 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case. DIR-860L Rev. A1
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status. 1.02.
  • What region are you located? EU

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?Fibre
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?Zyxel p2812 plugged into a fibre<->ethernet converter box. The P2812 is configured purely as a modem, the router receives a true ip address and not a local one (i.e. 192.xx or 10.xx)

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.Done
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.Done
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only under Setup/IPv6.Done, but why break IPV6?
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.Done. Any other setting breaks datagram broadcasting, regardless of whether SPI is enabled or not. Which is very weird.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Done Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.I've enabled multicast streams for both IPv4 and IPv6, however the required IPv4 addresses 224.0.0.251 and 239.255.255.250 never show up under "Status -> IPv4 Multicast addresses"

• Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.No such options
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port SpeedAuto-negotiaton is enabled
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time.Done

Disable WLAN partiton if it's enabled under Advanced/Adv Wireless... Disabled by default

Your linked solution only works with wireless clients on the same band. I have issues with an iPhone on the 5GHz band and an AirPlay playback unit on wired ethernet.

Starting a separate thread here.
I'm having trouble with devices that use multicast streaming, notably an AirPlay-enabled home theather receiver and a chromecast. The units connect to the internet fine, but device discovery and content streaming using multicast addressing doesn't work. Clients cannot find any streaming devices. Under  "Status->IPv4 Multicast addresses" there are no addresses listed, even though these devices use mDNS (224.0.0.251) and SSDP (239.255.255.250).

In the latest russian FW there is this patch note:
Code: [Select]
DIR-860L Release Note

Firmware: DIR860LA1_FW109b05_ea6i.bin
Date: 2014/10/06

1. Modify for multicast issue(In Russian, some IPTV use 239.0.0.0/8 packet).
This could hint that there are some issues with SSDP protocol, which uses multicast address 239.255.255.250, which is in CIDR block 239.0.0.0/8. However the router should really support standard multicast CIDR block 224.0.0.0/4 which includes all addresses from CIDR block 239.0.0.0/8.

There's also issues with IPv4 broadcasting (datagrams sent to and received from x.x.x.255 address) . Wired clients cannot see broadcast datagrams from wireless clients unless NAT filtering is set to "endpoint independent". Whether SPI is enabled or not doesn't matter. I do not know if this is intended behavior, but shouldn't NAT filtering  only apply to WAN-bound packets?

EU firmwares later than version 1.02 remove the "NAT Endpoint filtering" option, which breaks ipv4 broadcasting.
I will be trying the russian firmware later today, hopefully it will fix multicast issues and not break broadcast datagrams.
I also see there was a new EU firmware 1.08B02 posted Dec. 15th, is this a new firmware or the same as the "old" 1.08 that has multiple issues?
I will be trying this FW also, but the old 1.08 broke windows file & printer sharing
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:30:21 AM by jcberg »

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
Re: 860L IPv4 multicast/broadcast Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:37:08 AM »

Hi,

Under  "Status->IPv4 Multicast addresses" there are no addresses listed, even though these devices use mDNS (224.0.0.251) and SSDP (239.255.255.250).

This may indicate, that the router's IGMP implementation is broken - but if so, this wouldn't prevent multicast communication to take place between devices connected to your router. IGMP functionality would only be needed if Multicast routing were involved which is not the case in your scenario, where wireless LAN and wired LAN are bridged (and not routed).

There's also issues with IPv4 broadcasting (datagrams sent to and received from x.x.x.255 address).

Broadcast addresses are only valid as IP destination addresses but may never be used as IP source addresses, hence reception "from x.x.x.255 addresses" (to say it in your words) is a bogon case.

Wired clients cannot see broadcast datagrams from wireless clients unless NAT filtering is set to "endpoint independent"

This may translate to the statement that the propagation of layer 2 Broadcast and/or layer 2 Multicast from wireless LAN to wired LAN does not work and hence the bridging function between wireless and wired is at least partially broken. While this might explain, why IP Multicast isn't working either it would also mean that address resolution via ARP wouldn't work, if a wireless client tries to resolve the IP address of a wired client to its MAC address. Can you check this, by clearing the ARP cache of a wireless client and then test if a ping to a wired client works?

I do not know if this is intended behavior, but shouldn't NAT filtering  only apply to WAN-bound packets?

You are absolutely right - hence it is strange how a NAT filtering setting can influence the bridging behaviour between wireless and wired LAN.

But one final question: My considerations are based on the assumption that you use the same IP subnet for both the wireless and wired LAN (I don't know if DIR-860L allows to specify different IP subnets for both and establish IP routing between them)?

PT

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:56 AM »

Please try the new v1.08 B02 FW and let us know if issues are still seen please.

Please follow this to apply the FW correctly:
 FW Update Process

Also let us know how the Russian FW does as well in comparison.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jcberg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »

Hello

I have not been able to make it work with either firmware unfortunately. I did get a "senior tech" guy on the support telephone who said they'll look into it.

What did work however, is this DD-WRT firmware. The only "problem" with this firmware is that the lights on the router doesn't work, the power led stays orange. I have not tested USB either since i do not use that feature (i have a dedicated file server and a wireless printer). Everything else including AirPlay, wireless printing from a Macbook and my absurd old LAN games works flawlessly and wireless performance is good, at least on 5Ghz channel 40.

Important: If you arrive here from a google search or similar, please do not flash your router with the DD-WRT firmware i linked to. It is not recommended by DD-WRT and will void your D-Link warranty. It will also erase your routers language pack if you use one, and you need to reupload the language pack again if you revert to stock firmware.

If you still wish to try, please do some research on how to flash DD-WRT. You should use the "30/30/30" method and then reboot and flash the router with the "web-dir860.img" file found here using the routers regular firmware update page (not the "emergency page" found using the 30/30/30). Please note that after flashing, the routers IP address is 192.168.1.1

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »

Thanks for posting information and feedback. I hope that your regional support office will get it fixed. Keep in touch with them over time and check up on it. Hope next FW release they will have something that works.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.