• March 28, 2024, 02:28:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: XviD not playing correctly  (Read 8182 times)

boggystudios

XviD not playing correctly
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »

While watching XviDs on my DSM-520 I have noticed that the video plays faster than the audio on certain files.  I began to wonder why some of them played perfect and some did not so I did some research.  It turns out that the ones that get out of sync have an audio sampling rate of 44100Hz and the ones that don't have a sampling rate of 48000Hz.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: XviD not playing correctly
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »

What media server software are you using for streaming? I would recommend trying some other media server software out like Windows media player 11 setup for streaming or the ActiveTV media server. Here are two links for setup.

WMP11 setup:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2692&question=DSM-120%20/%20DSM-320%20/%20DSM-320RD%20/%20DSM-510%20/%20DSM-520

ActiveTV server setup:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2887&question=DSM-520
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

boggystudios

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »

The media server I use is uShare.
http://ushare.geexbox.org/

It is the only one I could find that would run on Linux and is free.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »

I believe Twonkyvision is available for Linux you may want to try that one.

boggystudios

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »

I have tried changing the sampling rate on one of the offending files to 48000Hz and it plays fine on my computer, however, it won't play on the DSM-520.

This is the command I used to get the new file:
ffmpeg -i infile.avi -vcodec copy -ar 48000 -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k outfile.avi

Like I said, it works fine on my computer but doesn't play on the DSM-520.  What should I do?  I don't think that uShare is the problem.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »

Have you tried any of these files on a Windows machine using the D-link media server software or Windows media player 11?

boggystudios

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »

No I haven't tried any of the other media servers because I don't have any windows machines in my house.

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:42:01 AM »

I've had similar audio issues.  I now use AutoGK (http://www.autogk.me.uk/) to render the video files and haven't had any issues with sound sync.  I did see a tip for DVDShrink to reauthor your video file which apparently will put the sound back in sync.  I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it.

skeil909

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »

I fought with a few movies that did that.  Reauthoring (without compressing) with DVDShrink fixed my problem on those pesky movies.

boggystudios

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »

Think about it, why should we have to change our files if they work on all our other computers. Transcoding these files isn't going to solve anything in the long run.  I just don't understand why there isn't proper implementation of open source codecs.  Perhaps D-Link would like to get some beta testers that can actually put these firmware releases through its paces.  Plus wouldn't a road map be a good idea?  This way everyone would know what feature to expect in each new release of the firmware.

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 03:10:31 PM »

No argument out of me on the file or the roadmap.  I am sympathetic on the files though because the whole digital video domain is a rats nest.  Thanks to all the help from this forum I've now got a reliable way to encode DVDs that so far is batting 1000, and I've had a raft of every convievable mismatch of sound and picture plus skinny letterbox.  Anyway, here's what I do that works every time as I am moving my physical DVD library onto the PC:

Use AnyDVD to decrypt although I am sure that any of the decrypters will work.
DVDShrink to pluck out the movie with no compression and Dolby/DTS soundtrack > save to hard drive.  (These two steps don't take long)
AutoGK to create the AVI (override the AR to 4:3 which gives nice size image on my TV and pass through the audio).  This step can take a couple of hours with a long movie.

The result is a high quality image with Dolby or DTS if the sound track is available.