• April 19, 2024, 07:07:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Using DIR-625 as a wireless access point and switch  (Read 83195 times)

csprof

• Level 1 Member
Using DIR-625 as a wireless access point and switch
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »

I have one DIR-625 currently functioning as a wireless router and DHCP server.  It is connected to Qwest's DSL service through an ActionTec GT701 DSL modem/router.  The GT701 is set to an address of 192.168.0.1 and it routes traffic to the DIR-625 which has an address setting of 192.168.10.1.

At the present time, this setup works fine, but I need to extend my wireless and wired network to an adjacent building.  I have a second DIR-625 which I am hoping to use as a wireless access point and as a switch in the other building.  I do, of course, have a Cat5e cable that runs from the existing DIR-625 to the other building where I intend to install the second DIR-625.

I am trying to determine if the second DIR-625 will function seamlessly in my network as a switch and as a wireless access point.

In the DIR-625 manual (on page 12, under "Connect to Another Router") there is the statement: "The LAN ports on the router cannot  accept a DHCP address from your other router."  Does this mean if I install the second DIR-625 (connecting its Internet Port to the existing DIR-625) and disable its DHCP and UPnP services, that wired devices connected to its LAN ports cannot be assigned IP addresses via the DHCP service in the existing DIR-625? 

I think my concern stems from the ambiguous phrase "your other router" in the manual's statement.  Does the phrase refer to the DIR-625 that is operating as a wireless access point and switch, or does it refer to the "master" DIR-625 in which the network's DHCP server is running?

Naturally, I understand my network cannot have two DHCP servers running simultaneously, therefore the DHCP server in my second (wireless access point) DIR-625 must be disabled.  However, I am reluctant to believe that devices connected to its LAN ports are unable to receive DHCP services from my existing DIR-625, I don't see why the second DIR-625 would even notice the DHCP protocol when operating as a switch.

Please correct or confirm my understanding of how to setup a second DIR-625 as a wireless access point and switch, and whether or not devices on its LAN ports can be assigned addresses via DHCP by the first/existing DIR-625.

Thank you,

csprof

btrig

• Level 1 Member
Re: Using DIR-625 as a wireless access point and switch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »

My understanding is that you have to issue the router to be used as a switch/access point a static ip address from the other router. That's working for me.

pender

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:18:47 AM »

If you plug the the cable from the primary router to the LAN port (and not internet port) of the secondary 625 and disable the DHCP server (and firewall) on the same secondary router, clients connected through the secondary router (wired or wireless) will receive IP addresses from the DHCP pool of the primary router.  When setup the way just described, the second 625 will effectively bridge clients to the primary router without any NAT on the second router.  Its LAN ports will act like a switch and its wirelss will act like a WAP, but only if cable runs LAN to LAN port (and DHCP is disabled).  This is true for any router because there is not NAT only bridging and switching.

Also to make your life easier, change the LAN IP addresses of all gateways, routers and switches so that they are all on the same subnet - this will make switch/router management much easier.  At least the twp 625's should be on the same subnet (the DSL modem does not really matter because you really never touch).

So if the 625's LAN IP is
set the second 625 to 192.168.10.2 where the 10 octal denotes the subnet.  This way any client can configure either router without changing their IP address to the other subnet.

Also, consider a DD-WRT router as your DHCP server if you want to configure VLANs so certain clients can not share resources among each other.

tratoss

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

hi, i'm pretty new to networking and this thread is the closest one to my issue..  ???

I recently purchased the DGS-2208 switch and I expanded my network with my older DI-624 wireless router. Following the cat5e wires, the setup is modem to switch (lan port 1) to router (from switch lan port 8 to internet port on router).

Computers wired to the switch and computers connected to the router (wired and wireless) have internet access, but computers connected to the router cannot see any of the computers connected to the switch (and vise-versa)

Can I setup the DI-624 as an access point (switch lan port 1 to router lan port 1 AND disable DHCP on the router)? Consequently making the switch a DHCP server? Is the switch capable of being a DHCP server? Or do I just change the setup where it would follow: modem to router to switch? Will I have to config the router manually for this to work? Thanks!

pender

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »

Do the latter.

Modem-->Router-->Switch

The switch will not likely have DHCP because it is not an enterprise level switch.  Enable DHCP on the router and have it act as a gateway, then all LAN clients will be able to share network resources.

tratoss

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »

Re-did the setup.. everything works now.. Thanks!

maco

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:12 AM »

Do the latter.

Modem-->Router-->Switch

The switch will not likely have DHCP because it is not an enterprise level switch.  Enable DHCP on the router and have it act as a gateway, then all LAN clients will be able to share network resources.

I read this post, and tried to set this up, only with one additional switch, i.e.

Modem-->Router-->Switch1-->Switch2

The computers on Switch1 can connect to the internet fine, but not the ones on Switch2. Is there some reason why this does not work? The problem is not related to Switch2 itself, when putting the switches in opposite order, the first swith in the chain (Switch2) functions properly.

Thanks.

foosean010

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »

I read this post, and tried to set this up, only with one additional switch, i.e.

The computers on Switch1 can connect to the internet fine, but not the ones on Switch2. Is there some reason why this does not work? The problem is not related to Switch2 itself, when putting the switches in opposite order, the first swith in the chain (Switch2) functions properly.

Thanks.

Is there a (physical) reason you are not connecting both of your switches to the router?  Also, what is your IP/Routing structure look like?

konjou

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 11:52:08 PM »

The computers on Switch1 can connect to the internet fine, but not the ones on Switch2. Is there some reason why this does not work? The problem is not related to Switch2 itself, when putting the switches in opposite order, the first switch in the chain (Switch2) functions properly.

Thanks.

It just might be how you're connecting the switches to the router, try setting it up so the Switches are connected to the router ie:

Modem --> Router -->Switch1
                       |--->Switch2

and I know in theory the way you have it will work, but sometimes real world stuff works out differently.
Hope doing it that way will work for you

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:34:11 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.