• March 28, 2024, 03:00:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router issue - Internet access drops but network access still active  (Read 4210 times)

limmywu

• Level 1 Member

Hi everybody.
I was wondering if anybody has experienced the issue that I'm facing and have found a solution.

I got this router last year and did not have any issues. Everything for the most part was perfect. However lately, my internet connection drops BUT my network connection was still active. The bottom light is orange and the top light is green (when this is working, both lights are green).  I can't figure out what causes this. Sometimes it happens when I'm playing a game on my PC. Sometimes it happens while I'm just browsing the web. There's no rhyme or reason and I can't replicate the problem at will.

The only solution is to do a reset on the router, either by manually turning it on and off or resetting it via the router settings page. I recently upgraded the firmware to 1.08 and the issue still persists.

Some info:
My hardware version is A1.
Firmware version is 1.08.

Recap:
Network connection is still active. I can access network drives or other computers. I can still access the settings for the router. Either by wifi or by a laptop connected directly to router.
BUT access to internet is disabled however the cable modem is still working (all the lights are normal).

So yah, anybody else experiencing this sort of problem?

Thanks!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Router issue - Internet access drops but network access still active
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on Router

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

Hi everybody.
I was wondering if anybody has experienced the issue that I'm facing and have found a solution.

I got this router last year and did not have any issues. Everything for the most part was perfect. However lately, my internet connection drops BUT my network connection was still active. The bottom light is orange and the top light is green (when this is working, both lights are green).  I can't figure out what causes this. Sometimes it happens when I'm playing a game on my PC. Sometimes it happens while I'm just browsing the web. There's no rhyme or reason and I can't replicate the problem at will.

The only solution is to do a reset on the router, either by manually turning it on and off or resetting it via the router settings page. I recently upgraded the firmware to 1.08 and the issue still persists.

Some info:
My hardware version is A1.
Firmware version is 1.08.

Recap:
Network connection is still active. I can access network drives or other computers. I can still access the settings for the router. Either by wifi or by a laptop connected directly to router.
BUT access to internet is disabled however the cable modem is still working (all the lights are normal).

So yah, anybody else experiencing this sort of problem?

Thanks!
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

stevensokal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:11:20 AM »

Same basic issue on a DIR-860L with the 1.08 firmware.  One new observation - I have both secured and open access enabled on the router. The Internet connection is lost on the open connections, but not the secured ones.  This is corrected with a router reset.
Steve Sokal

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:25:16 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on Router

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Same basic issue on a DIR-860L with the 1.08 firmware.  One new observation - I have both secured and open access enabled on the router. The Internet connection is lost on the open connections, but not the secured ones.  This is corrected with a router reset.
Steve Sokal