• March 28, 2024, 05:52:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Switching problems, switch needs frequent reboots/disconnection  (Read 9729 times)

lmpf

• Level 1 Member

Hello.

I'm having a very weird issue. Recently I started having packet loss to some of the clients in the network.
I suspect this has something to do with the switch but I am unsure how to reach a decent conclusion.
This is the switching setup at the moment:
  • HPE ProCurve 1800-24G Switch (J9028B)
  • D-Link DGS-1016D
They are bridged using a CAT6 cable. When I detect the packet loss, I have 2 options which take immediate effect and resolve the issue for another 2 or 3 hours until it happens again:
  • Disconnect the cable that bridges both switches and immediatly reconnect it again;
  • Restart the HPE switch (it's the only one that is managed);
I suppose that the obvious thing is that one of the switches is faulty, unfortunately I don't have another switch at hand at this moment. Another thing worth mentioning is that this issue started pretty much a month ago, when we got our ISP to install a fiber optics connection with their brand new router. Because the ISP's router was losing a lot of packets, we decided to bridge it with an old Draytek that we had here, which despite still being affected by this packet loss, it loses much less packets, allowing me to connect remotely and restarting the switch, which then stabilizes everything for a couple hours.

NOTE: The packet loss is also present if I ping the network from a WAN connection

Any ideas? Thank you.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Switching problems, switch needs frequent reboots/disconnection
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »

If the switches were working as bridged up to the point where your ISP installed a fiber service, I would check the ONT/Router HW on there side. If there services are loosing packets and not getting too services to spec, the ISP should come out and make sure the ISP services are good and to spec with out any packet loss. You need too services to start with.

I would test the switches out independently and on there own to see if the problem still is experienced on both switches. This may help indicate if there is a problem at either switch.

You might do a factory reset on the switches, and if the HP switch has any FW files that can be used. I would re-load FW, factory reset and setup from scratch.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:59:43 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

RickHarley

• Level 1 Member
Re: Switching problems, switch needs frequent reboots/disconnection
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 08:51:46 PM »

Having a responsive website will make it easier for you to manage your online presence https://mlsdev.com/blog/devops-services. You'll be able to easily respond to the needs of your users, and they will be more likely to stick around. They'll be more likely to return, and more likely to make a purchase or conversion.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 01:21:59 PM by RickHarley »