• April 19, 2024, 07:26:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Firmware Update  (Read 30184 times)

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
Firmware Update
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »

Hey Mr. Dlink we have been waiting for a firmware update for a long time.  Can you give us a time when at least some of the problems listed here will be fixed?

Terry

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Firmware Update
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »

Firmware was released only about 3 months ago..Currently there is beta firmware available on the child board.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:03:10 PM »

Give me a break!!!

The beta software 1.09 build 01 is nothing more than 1.08 with offsite backup. How is this a solution to problems that we have? As far as I am concerned it is worthless.

As for 1.08 we have been messing with it for over a year and we still are having some of the same problems that we had a year ago.  If you don't believe me just check earlier posts.  Sure you have made some minor changes in that time but it has been over a year since we have seen a major release.

Do we still see permissions screw up?  Yes
Do we still see FTP over ssl/ssh not working correctly?  Yes
Do we still see the fans not working right?  Yes
Do we have a full functioning usb port for backups? No
Do we have a built in backup routine so we backup the DNS-323 without a computer? No

The list of ongoing problems that you have in the beginning of the forum is a list of problems that some have been there six months or longer with no answer.

Please do not insult our intelligence by telling us that 1.08 was a new release or that 1.09 build 01 was new to which I say bologna.  All we have seen with the last few releases are minor fixes with nothing major in over a year and I have used them all so I think that I know what I am talking about.

Don't get me wrong I like my DNS-323 but it could be so much better if you fixed these problems. Especially the major ones and you would do this then you would quit seeing people leave the DNS-323 for units that will do this.

One person that I have seen do this is Gunrunnerjohn. He posts a lot on this forum with advise and helped several people including myself. But, I have noticed in recent posts that he now uses another brand for his raid and using his DNS-321 and DNS-323 for backups of this other raid. He is only one example I know that there are others leaving as well. What does this say about D-Link and your NASes? Are you really going to support your products or let fall them off the end of the pier into the ocean and float away?

I know that I have not been kind in this post but someone at D-Link needs to wake up and support the equipment and at least get the advertised items working correctly and then maybe some extras.

I am a programmer and in the industry everyone knows what vaporware is.  If you advertise some feature and it does not work or is not there then it is vaporware. I think that D-Link has produced a lot of it on us users.

Come on D-Link are you going to continue to give us vaporware or are you going to give us some NEW working firmware.

If I made someone mad that was not my intent but I think that this is important enough to speak up.

Terry

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »

I second this post.

D-Link keep introducing new feature and aren't fixing problem with existing features. I would call 1.08 a major release and the number of problem that it has introduced should have had at lease one minor release by now but instead we see 1.09 with another new feature 'offsite backup'. Lets fix some existing features...

R.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »

Do we still see permissions screw up?  Yes
Do we still see FTP over ssl/ssh not working correctly?  Yes
Do we still see the fans not working right?  Yes
Do we have a full functioning usb port for backups? No
Do we have a built in backup routine so we backup the DNS-323 without a computer? No

While I agree D-Link should release a newer NAS and that it's nice to recieve updated firmwares for free to add functionality, at least some of your requests are for features that were never advertised when you purchased the NAS. E.g. USB port for backups, built in backup routine. If you want these, consider purchasing a newer, more expensive NAS solution that does advertise these features.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons for Gunrunnerjohn purchasing a different NAS was due to the hardware limitations of this box, i.e. speed and performance issues. You can't purchase a product that's over 5 years old and expect it to do what new products are doing now. You also can't expect D-Link to throw additional features on to it for free.

As for fans not working right and permissions issues- I've never seen any of those in any firmware under normal use without messing with FFP and the like.

You may also be interested in this thread
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13111.0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:06:26 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:31:13 AM »

Do we still see permissions screw up?  I've never had any issues with permissions
Do we still see FTP over ssl/ssh not working correctly?  Secure ftp is not an advertised feature.
Do we still see the fans not working right?  Fans have never been an issue for me
Do we have a full functioning usb port for backups? Backup through the USB port was not an advertised feature.
Do we have a built in backup routine so we backup the DNS-323 without a computer? Built-in backup was not an advertised feature.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of quirks that need fixing, and I strongly agree that the last two items you mention should have been included from the getgo.

My point is that the majority of the issues you're griping about are non issues because you bought this thing in the full knowledge that it lacked these features (or if you didn't know, then you have only yourself to blame for making assumptions rather than researching the product) and the remainder would appear to be peculiar to either your environment or perhaps a subset of hardware.

The DNS-323 is not my first NAS nor my only NAS, I have others, some considerably more expensive, some in the same price range as the DNS-323 - and considering what I've gotten in terms of product, performance & support for the price I've paid, I'd say I got my money's worth.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »

hey fordem,

i agree with a lot of your points but the built-in backup feature is an advertised feature and that's why i purchased this unit.  I had 2 HD's, both separate volumes, backed up my pc's to volume 1 and then ran a full backup to volume 2 which worked, after that i wanted to run incremental backups as i don't need full and that has never worked since firmware 1.06.  so something that is advertised doesn't work and they keep adding more features which is great for some users but not for me since i don't want and of those features, i just want incremental backups to work.  if you have figured out a way please let me know

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:34:48 AM »

hey fordem,

i agree with a lot of your points but the built-in backup feature is an advertised feature and that's why i purchased this unit.  I had 2 HD's, both separate volumes, backed up my pc's to volume 1 and then ran a full backup to volume 2 which worked, after that i wanted to run incremental backups as i don't need full and that has never worked since firmware 1.06.  so something that is advertised doesn't work and they keep adding more features which is great for some users but not for me since i don't want and of those features, i just want incremental backups to work.  if you have figured out a way please let me know

Take a second look at my post please.

What I said was the feature that tfiveash complained about - to backup the DNS-323 - is not an advertised feature.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

MyDNS323

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »

Give me a break!!!

The beta software 1.09 build 01 is nothing more than 1.08 with offsite backup. How is this a solution to problems that we have? As far as I am concerned it is worthless.

+1.

I think D-Link should be focusing on things that are currently broken, including fixing the LED lights (which only dims, doesn't turn off) and fixing the issue with 4K HDDs.

The LED lights feature isn't "advertised" but it is in the firmware. If it is in the firmware, it should work the way it is supposed to.

As for the 4K HDDs, DLink doesn't exactly advertise with HDDs it WON'T work with, unless you go to the forums...which I did AFTER I bought my HDDs and 323.

I'm not sure who asked for the Cloud Backup, but I have to figure it was the product management team trying to generate more revenue.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »

As for the 4K HDDs, DLink doesn't exactly advertise with HDDs it WON'T work with, unless you go to the forums...which I did AFTER I bought my HDDs and 323.

They should probably update the drive compatability list, but this is a new thing that WD have dreamed up for their drives - it's not D-Links fault.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

MyDNS323

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »

They should probably update the drive compatability list, but this is a new thing that WD have dreamed up for their drives - it's not D-Links fault.

Okay, let me be fair: It is both D-Link's and WD's fault. It definitely isn't MY fault that these drives don't work, yet I'm the one who forked out the money and now has incompatible components. And, as usual, I'm the one who will get screwed as the two companies squabble over who's responsibility it is.

D-Link had the foresight to put up a posting on their forums saying that the drives aren't supported. But NO WHERE does it say it on the spec/compatibility section of the website. Is there ANY excuse for that?

4k drives, incidentally, are an industry trend. Rest assured that everyone will have them out.

Don't be such a D-Link apologist. Do you work for them or something?

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »

hey fordem,

you mention it isn't an advertised feature,  based on this link i would say it is advertised, hence where i got my information from ... if you look under simplified management or do a search for backup you will see the following:

SIMPLIFIED MANAGEMENT
The DNS-323 can automatically back up your data regardless of your computer’s operating system (Windows®, Mac®, or Linux®). For Windows users, the included feature-rich backup software can help you create schedules and rules including real-time full or incremental backups and storage quotas for specific users and groups

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DNS-323

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »

Okay, let me be fair: It is both D-Link's and WD's fault. It definitely isn't MY fault that these drives don't work, yet I'm the one who forked out the money and now has incompatible components. And, as usual, I'm the one who will get screwed as the two companies squabble over who's responsibility it is. such a D-Link apologist. Do you work for them or something?

As someone in the industry, you should check into product compatibility before buying. I know I did.

I bought my first DNS323 back in the fall and a second a month or so ago as I was extremely happy with the features and functionality of the unit. As far as I am concerned, it performs the functions of a NAS that is is supposed to. I did not want a unit with lots of fancy features, I wanted a simple, cheap NAS, which I got.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

slyght

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »

I totally agree with you, Terry. I'm quite disappointed about the process being slow-downed so much currently. But at least for the most annoying issues (at least for me) about the fan, there's hope:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11417.msg76334#msg76334

The last post (already two weeks ago, though) states, it'll be fixed in the next firmware which should shortly follow after 1.09 (whatever shortly means in this context  ;))

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »

I'm not sure who asked for the Cloud Backup, but I have to figure it was the product management team trying to generate more revenue.

Well, if they actually wanted to generate revenue, wouldn't it be nice to announce pricing for the service? :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5