• April 19, 2024, 05:47:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Locking DNS  (Read 4249 times)

fgl30

• Level 3 Member
Locking DNS
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:34:51 AM »

Hi. I just start using OpenDNS and I like it a lot. What I would like is to force all computers in my network to use DNS provided by OpenDNS...just like that http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS#Intercept_DNS_Port..... is possible? How? Thx

Kittyburgers

• Level 2 Member
Re: Locking DNS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »

Yes, it's possible, and I would recommend you do it.  Just follow the instructions on the OpenDNS site.  All you have to do if put the two DNS servers into the router, reboot iot, and your done.  No fuss, no muss.

fgl30

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:18:31 AM »

I think I didnīt myself clear..... Actualy I know how to setup OpenDNS in my router... thatīs no problem about that.... what I want is TO FORCE all devices on my network to use just OpenDNS.....

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:21:27 AM »

Is a bit harder to achieve. Since every PC has the option to manually fill in DNS (IPv4 properties) you might want to restrict those machines to access altering the network settings through a group policy, depending on your LAN config or domain setting.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

fgl30

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »

I know each PC can manually fill DNS option..... What I really want is to forward DNS traffic in router forcing this traffic use OpenDNS, even if a PC changed DNS options locally.... but I donīt know how to do it.....

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »

I think you can try disabling DNS relay. Is this what you want to do?

Read this
DNS Relay
When DNS Relay is enabled, the router plays the role of a DNS server. DNS requests sent to the router are forwarded to the ISP's DNS server. This provides a constant DNS address that LAN computers can use, even when the router obtains a different DNS server address from the ISP upon re-establishing the WAN connection. You should disable DNS relay if you implement a LAN-side DNS server as a virtual server.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

fgl30

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:20:42 PM »

I think if I disable DNS Relay Iīll get opposite action from I want......

Lycan, please, you have nothing to tell me here?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:22:33 PM by fgl30 »