• April 28, 2024, 06:38:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: File Sharing  (Read 1475 times)

lionkd75

• Level 1 Member
File Sharing
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »

In my previous NAS, I could right-click on a file and send by email the link of the file to a friend. He could then easily download the file by using this link. The link was encoded (in some way) so the user had no clue about the folder where the file existed (and of course no access to the folder). Is that possible on 320L?
If this is not possible, how can I share selected files? For example, I want to share 3-4 files, but let's say I want to share only these 3-4 files, without the user being able to see what else exists in the folder. is there a way to do that?

lionkd75

• Level 1 Member
Re: File Sharing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »

I still haven't found any solution to that.
Any help is really appreciated.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: File Sharing
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »

That ability appears to be unique to your old NAS (I would like to get hold of a copy of the firmware just so we could take it apart).  It would also be interesting to know what protocol they used for the actual transfer.

We do something similar for our clients but we use standard FTP.  Our basic procedure follows:

1) create a folder for the files that are to be transferred.
2) set a user/password for that folder and make it read only.
3) share that on the FTP server.
4) set time limit for that access in master firewall.
5) e-mail the URL complete with user/password to the client.
6) after the managed switch flags the download as complete remove the user/password from the NAS.

You might have problems with 4) and 6) because those items are in our server room but you should be able to adapt that to your requirements.