• March 28, 2024, 01:11:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 320L few issues  (Read 3905 times)

Racker_CRO

• Level 1 Member
320L few issues
« on: May 08, 2016, 05:34:07 AM »

Hi all,

First I apologize if some or all of these questions have been answered before. but I was unable to find answers. So I recently bought 320L and I've managed to set it up rather easily.
I do have few issues:

a) mydlink page shows NAS as online but all tabs shows "Unable to access your DNS-320L. It has active connection on internet, my FW is down, router FW is set to low, AV program is OFF. What am I missing? Tried with Chrome and IE11 (plugins are installed).

b) Option to add-on center under applications is shown only when I login via SSL. Otherwise I don't have this option. Is this normal behavior? I can add them as favorites while not connected via SSL.

c) I've setup CIFS and FTP shares on my disk. Created two groups READ and WRITE. Each group has read or write permissions on disks. After that I created 3 users. Two of them are in WRITE (media players like Android TV for Kodi and Mede8er) and one (my kids) in READ. My question is, do I need to create one for my PC or can I use admin user to map those disk in Windows 10? I tried but it doesn't work.

d) admin can access DNS via WinSCP or Putty only through SSH? In WinSCP I can connect only with SCP, SFTP just returns me to startup WinSCP window after I enter password. While connected via SCP I can make directories but I can't copy anything into them. Should I use DNS locally created user with read-write rights?

e) fan speed. Sometimes fan stays on full speed even temps are low (41C). If I set it to manual (High) then back to Auto (Off/Low/High) it will stop.

f) copy speed is around 20-25 MB/s. DNS is connected to gigabit switch same as my computer. LAN speed is Auto on both. Drives are in standard mode, mount via CIFS.

I forgot to mention I'm on latest FW 1.07 10/19/2015.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:44:48 AM by Racker_CRO »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: 320L few issues
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:35:46 PM »

As you have discovered things work differently depending on where you try and access your NAS from - local network or the internet.

It is essential that you set a strong password for the admin user otherwise you will end up with your NAS being taken over and could find yourself not being able to access it.

It is also advisable that you give the NAS a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range of your DHCP server, that way it is easier to setup your internet facing firewall.

If you are trying to access your NAS from your local network you just type in the IP address in your browser (example: http://192.168.0.32).  This will give you the web UI.  Otherwise just use CIFS/SMB, although there are reported problems with win10 or use FileZilla to access the FTP server of the NAS (this is one very good reason to use a fixed IP address for the NAS).

To access your NAS from the internet you will need to decide just how you want to do that - http in browser for setup or FTP to transfer files.  Both of these require that you open ports in your internet facing firewall and setup port forwarding to the fixed IP of the NAS.  Just how that id done depends on how you connect to the internet and it is not my place to give a tutorial on that (Google is your friend here).

Racker_CRO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:44:17 PM »

Ivan thank you for your reply. My NAS has fixed IP address. For now I don't need FTP access from "outside" (internet). Admin password is strong but I'm worried about the fact that local users can access NAS via web UI. Even thou they only have read rights on Volumes and limited access to web UI I'm not to keen they even have any rights on web UI.
I've tested FTP and CIFS share copy speeds and they are the same (3GB file was copied with speed around 40-45 MB/s) so I've just mounted them in Win 10 and not using FTP for now. Next step is to test speed differences between CIFS and NFS on my media player Mede8er and NAS.

Super admin (or admin) which I'm using to access web UI is used only for web UI? Mounting drives with it doesn't work, as copying files via WinSCP?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »

In theory no one can get beyond the login page of the web UI unless they have the password and that password is just for that.

Access to anything else on the NAS should be through a user/password situation and you should be able to limit access further by assigning such things a read only or read/write.

Read section 4 of the manual 'Configuration' --> 'Web UI Login' --> 'Management' --> 'Account Management' for details on how to setup accounts and their settings.

Racker_CRO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:14 AM »

I did create groups and users assigning them corresponding read or write operations. Manual is...well...basic setup. I'm in IT industry for over 15 years but I didn't work much with Linux (unfortunately) hence my questions.
Few of my questions are solved, access from internet will be resolved by my ISP (by default router is set up to accept incoming connections on port 80 from alll PCs in internal network, even if they are accessing it from DDNS address).

What about local admin? He is used only for WebUI?? I've used it with Putty to change some config files, but in WinSCP I have limited rights (can't copy, move, delete, but I can create folders; talking about local NAS FS and installed drives).

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 03:34:30 PM »

Sorry, I did not intend to imply that you had not read the manual but my over 40 years experience in industrial IT has shown me that a vast numbe of people only do that as a last resort.

I am also sorry but I can't be of much help with windows, we have a lone copy of XP that runs in a VM that we use to create epub manuals for training and maintenance use.

On the NAS the admin account is only used through the web UI to administer the accounts that allow access to the files stored there (as you know it is not a good idea to allow everyone access to the admin account because that gives them access to everything).

To use any FTP client you need to setup the FTP server on the NAS and setup an account with user/password and also setup what folders and files that user can access and how that access is to take place.  What you are seeing with winSCP points to your not having the access permissions setup correctly (the linux based firmware does require things to be specifically allowed rather than the windows idea of specifically disallowing things).

deuf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:52 PM »

Hi all,

First I apologize if some or all of these questions have been answered before. but I was unable to find answers. So I recently bought 320L and I've managed to set it up rather easily.
I do have few issues:

e) fan speed. Sometimes fan stays on full speed even temps are low (41C). If I set it to manual (High) then back to Auto (Off/Low/High) it will stop.

Hi,

e : same thing for me. This is why since i have this NAS i can't keep it poweron constantly... i'm powering it on when i need then powering it off...

Of course, i'm sure D-link won't correct this... so this is not really the purpose of a NAS.

BTW i have the same copy speeds as you.... around 25-30 via ftp.

Racker_CRO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »

Hi,

e : same thing for me. This is why since i have this NAS i can't keep it poweron constantly... i'm powering it on when i need then powering it off...

Of course, i'm sure D-link won't correct this... so this is not really the purpose of a NAS.

Fan is not a big issue for me because DNS is located in my work room under the desk. Fan noise can't be heard during the night. Although I've set it up so it powers down at midnight and powers on at 8AM. My concern is only that this constant high speed will wear it rather fast. I'm even thinking to buy new silent 40x40x8 fan which works on 5V...

Regarding copy speed, well I'l try to change my switch and cables (from Cat5e to Cat6). Right now my PC is connected to wall outlet, than to switch, from switch back to wall outlet again to switch and then to NAS. As you can see there are 2 switches and 2 wall outlets (PC and NAS are in different rooms). I will test with direct connection PC - switch - NAS just to make sure it's not wall cabling issue.

So far I'm very pleased with this device, it streams media to my Mede8er and AndroidTV without any glitches or freezing. Only questions left are those from my first post  ;D.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »

Any status on this?  ???

Hi,

Fan is not a big issue for me because DNS is located in my work room under the desk. Fan noise can't be heard during the night. Although I've set it up so it powers down at midnight and powers on at 8AM. My concern is only that this constant high speed will wear it rather fast. I'm even thinking to buy new silent 40x40x8 fan which works on 5V...

Regarding copy speed, well I'l try to change my switch and cables (from Cat5e to Cat6). Right now my PC is connected to wall outlet, than to switch, from switch back to wall outlet again to switch and then to NAS. As you can see there are 2 switches and 2 wall outlets (PC and NAS are in different rooms). I will test with direct connection PC - switch - NAS just to make sure it's not wall cabling issue.

So far I'm very pleased with this device, it streams media to my Mede8er and AndroidTV without any glitches or freezing. Only questions left are those from my first post  ;D.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Racker_CRO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »

Well I've changed my fan yesterday with Noctua A4x10. It is very quite and it works well with Auto setting (Off/Low/High). Although I did notice my temp are a little higher than with stock version (48 C system temp on idle). I need to check airflow for both vents and compare them.

Regarding copy speeds, I'm still waiting for Cat6 cables. I will post results with new cables as soon as they arrive.

Regards.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 06:44:02 AM »

;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Racker_CRO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 10:55:52 PM »

Cat6 cables didn't help  >:(. Well with NAS copy speeds anyway.
Transfers between PC and PC got somewhat better (70-80 MB/s from 50-60 MB/s) but from PC to NAS stayed the same.