• March 19, 2024, 04:49:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: file transfer speed is so slow in my gigabit ethernet  (Read 69189 times)

elsiebuck

• Level 1 Member
Re: file transfer speed is so slow in my gigabit ethernet
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »

... set to jumbo frames at 9000  ...

I really want to tank you for the information you provided. This has helped me out. I'm not getting "remarkable" increases - but a little. Better than it was.

Again, Thank you,
Aunt Elsie

Happyjoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »

I have had the DNS-323 for quite a while. Luckily all I use it for is to store files. I can not stream movies from it at all, and even music lags occasionally. I get about 5 M transfer for 30-45 seconds, then it takes a dump. Sometimes totally failing to copy the files over to it. The last transfer I did took around 13 minutes to transfer about 300M worth of MP3's. This thing is almost useless to me. Everything is gigabit on my network and crazy fast transferring between computers. When I want music, it is way faster for me to copy it from my main PC to my laptop then to an mp3 player to play it rather than try to stream it to my home theater PC from the NAS.

JoeNAS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 04:42:05 AM »

Your problem sounds strange to me. I'm using a Cat5-wired LAN, 100Mb. Between the NAS and the Sonos Connect LAN-to-audio streamer there are 20 m+ cable, 2 switches and a router. No problem whatsoever to stream .wav files (or .mp3), no glitches. Only very very rarely when I dump a large file to another NAS on the same LAN - and that I would expect.

So, maybe it's something else: cableing, poor switch, heavy LAN -traffic, ..... Make a drawing and identify all potential troublespots. Good luck and nice listening!

Jan

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 06:40:58 AM »

I have had the DNS-323 for quite a while. Luckily all I use it for is to store files. I can not stream movies from it at all, and even music lags occasionally. I get about 5 M transfer for 30-45 seconds, then it takes a dump. Sometimes totally failing to copy the files over to it. The last transfer I did took around 13 minutes to transfer about 300M worth of MP3's. This thing is almost useless to me. Everything is gigabit on my network and crazy fast transferring between computers. When I want music, it is way faster for me to copy it from my main PC to my laptop then to an mp3 player to play it rather than try to stream it to my home theater PC from the NAS.

300M worth of MP3s would be perhaps 100 x 3MB files - it'll be a lot slower than say 1 x 300M file or even 1 x 3GB file - but you should be able to stream.

Tell us more about the network.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]