• March 18, 2024, 10:42:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: file transfer speed is so slow in my gigabit ethernet  (Read 69185 times)

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
Re: file transfer speed is so slow in my gigabit ethernet
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »

There's been about a dozen post about the subpar performance of our nas' gigabit network.
I've concluded that I will get no more than a fast running 100mb/sec network.  and most say, if I get 101mb/sec then I am running a gigabit.  Whatever. 

I'll see an average of about 12-13MB/sec and that's all I'm going to expect from the dlink 323/321.
Yes, sometimes I get more (18MB/sec and sometimes less, but it averages out to 12-13MB/s with
my setup).
Gary

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »

Re-Paste of gigabit networking article

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabit-ethernet-bandwidth,2321.html

some good infomartion there

FragaGeddon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »

Will have to give that a read after, Thanks.

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »

Excellent article Tank!
Thanks!
Gary

Polaris

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »

I'm running a dlink 323 with 2 hitachi desktar 1tb drive with 1.07 firmware and cheap cat5e gigabit capable cable through a 5 port dlink gigabit router and have excellent transfer speed. Roughly I got 1gb per min of file transfer.

Performance on reading the nas 323 from a PS3 with more than 8gb HD mkv is stellar, so speed is pretty fast from reading and writing overall. Some lagging expected when doing both at the same time like watching and file transfer which is pretty normal.

I will guess most bottleneck on performance have also to do with fast i/o response from the sata drive. I opt the hitachi because of its overall performance and was very satisfied.

sonci

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 06:10:41 AM »

I wonder if anyone realised that tranfer speed get really low when yo`re downloading,

especially if you have high bandwith internet connection,
try your tranfer speed with bittorrent disabled..

krenkey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »

Using Alt-f i get transfer speeds of 18MB/Sec consistantly on a giga lan pervious to alt-f i was getting 8 to 9 MB/sec if i ftp into the box i get 20MB/sec plus windows explorer i get 18MB/sec

DariusVE

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

Hi all!

I was reading the thread and i was moving file from my pc to the nas  with a 8 to 9MB/s so i change some parameters on the nas and my pc.

My home network is:
D-Link DIR-655 wireless router
Trendnet Greennet Gigabit switch TEG-S80G
Trendnet NIC gigabit card TEG-PCITXR

all on certified Cat5e cable working at 1000gb.

First: set thte jumbo frames on the nas to it's maximum value: 9000b
Second: set the nic to full duplex
Third: set the maximum jumbo frame on the nic to 7kb

now i'm moving 37GB from my seagate 1TB externar usb hdd to my nas at 15,7MB/s!

I'll get some Cat6 patch cords and test again.

my 2 cents.

Edit:
My nas firmware it's 1.09 version
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:52:59 AM by DariusVE »
Cisco 677 ADSL Modem, DIR-655 HW:A3 FW:v1.35N, DNS-323 FW:v1.09, TrendNet TEG-S80g Gb Switch

mpdava

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »

Here is a tip from my brother to improve your NAS transfer speed. My brother is an electrician and he works for a company that makes computer chips.

If you want to copy files from the NAS, place the NAS in an elevated area, maybe on top of the desk or a chair BUT leave your router somewhere on the floor. With the help of the gravitational force, electrons will flow much much faster down to the router and from there to your computer. The only thing you have to pay attention to, is the speed of the router. If the router is slow and can't keep up with the sudden drop of electrons, the network cable may swell next to the router port. This can happen because all the electrons bunch in together there waiting to pass through the router (just use some sticky tape to reinforce the network cable in the problem area). If you want to copy files from the computer to the NAS ... just reverse the setup: router on the chair and the NAS on the floor. 

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »

Ooo kaaaay -.- ... your brother missed one fact: electrons just don't travel from top to below, they travel back (closed circuit). So if they ARE faster when travelling downwards, they ARE slower when travelling back upwards.

//HSishi

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »

If you want to copy files from the NAS, place the NAS in an elevated area, maybe on top of the desk or a chair BUT leave your router somewhere on the floor.

My broadband is much faster than in other villages because we live in a valley (my dad is a retired electrician)...
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 05:48:02 AM »

Here is a tip from my brother to improve your NAS transfer speed. My brother is an electrician and he works for a company that makes computer chips.

If you want to copy files from the NAS, place the NAS in an elevated area, maybe on top of the desk or a chair BUT leave your router somewhere on the floor. With the help of the gravitational force, electrons will flow much much faster down to the router and from there to your computer. The only thing you have to pay attention to, is the speed of the router. If the router is slow and can't keep up with the sudden drop of electrons, the network cable may swell next to the router port. This can happen because all the electrons bunch in together there waiting to pass through the router (just use some sticky tape to reinforce the network cable in the problem area). If you want to copy files from the computer to the NAS ... just reverse the setup: router on the chair and the NAS on the floor. 

This is the funniest post I have read in a long time!  :D

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »

This is the funniest post I have read in a long time!  :D

Had I have known that height makes all the difference, I would have mounted my router on the roof of the house. :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:53:32 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

crishna

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »

well, i've been having the same issue... using gigabit ethernet, pluged in directly to my computer, static ip both sides, and the xfer speed is like 10~14 mb/s .... BUT as i read your stuff, i though of something, and indeed, the NAS CPU is peaking at nearly 100% usage on the samba process... there is our bottleneck.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 03:07:36 AM »

crishna - I like your approach - you're thinking.

I'm going to post an image that I'd like you to think about - the only thing it has in common with yours, is the Window's networking graph, which displays significantly higher throughput - 27 MB/sec - apparently my CPU can handle twice the throughput that your can.

This is a composite of three screen captures assembled in MS Paint, because I couldn't capture all three images in one shot.

The background is an SNMP graphing tool called PRTG (www.paessler.com), it reads the bandwidth figures from my network switches, the one that's open is the graph from the switch port that feeds my DNS-323.

Directly below that is the output from a little utility called NASTester - if you search the DNS-323 forum, you should find a link to another site that you can download it from.  Basically what it does is create a test file, of a size that you choose (up to 2GB) on a local drive and then measure the time it takes to transfer it across the network to a mapped drive, it then calculates the average transfer speed and displays it - you can tell it how many iterations and it will loop as required and list each run and then give you the average, and then it reverses the two end points and repeats, so you get both write speeds & read speeds.

To the left of that is the WIndows task manager showing roughly 25% throughput on a 1GB connection.

Sorry, I don't have shell access to the DNS-323, so no cpu utilization..

The point here is you could get better speeds than you're getting - you need to figure out why you DNS-323 won't deliver.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:14:31 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4