• March 18, 2024, 08:09:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Both hard disk failure!  (Read 3942 times)

kong.jinjie

• Level 1 Member
Both hard disk failure!
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »

I have owned my DNS-323 for almost 3 years now and I have FFP'ed and recently restored to stock firmware, 1.10.

It's been running well for the past 1-2 months and only recently I hear weird noises coming out from the device. I got a gut feeling that one of the HDD is failing and so I have shut the device down and investigate when I have the time.

Now my device doesn't detect any of the HDD and received alerts on both of my HDD have failed! I was shocked. It is configured on raid 0 and I don't believe that I am so "LUCKY" to have both HDD failed at the same time.

Before I do anything funny such as formatting my HDD, I will like to confirm if this is a firmware bug or am I really that unlucky to have both HDD fail on me.

I have googled and do not find anyone facing the similar issues.

kong.jinjie

• Level 1 Member
Re: Both hard disk failure!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »

I have downgraded to firmware 1.08 and now it detected LEFT hard drive failure. RIGHT hard drive is working well!

I guess this must be a bug on 1.08.

Any d-link developers here to see this? I hope someone have already reported this.

Looking forward to upgrade to a more stable firmware.  ;D

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »

If your HDDs are configured using RAID-0, the failure of one HDD will cause a 100% irretrievable loss of all data.  RAID-0 stripes data across two HDDs, which improves performance, but also means that a single HDD failure will cause all data to be lost.

Are you sure the HDDs are configured using RAID-0?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:58:30 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

kong.jinjie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »

My bad.. It is configured as RAID-1. Not a very technical guy but just knows how to make things work.. Thanks for the info! I got my data back.. Time for me a get a replacement.

Sidetrack a little, I was wondering if I could put in a 2TB hdd and will it work? As I hope to upgrade my current configuration to 2TB. If my second HDD fail, I can replace another 2TB..

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »

From your statement, I presume you are using a HDD that's smaller than 2TB now.  If the original RAID-1 array contains two 1TB HDDs and you swap in a 2TB HDD, the Volume size will still remain 1TB.  The DNS-323 does not support RAID resizing.  You'll have to format from scratch to obtain a larger volume size and then move your data back.

You need to be careful about adding a 2TB HDD.  Please see the following post: HDD Size and AFT (Advanced Format Technology) Support
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »

I would add one thing to what JavaLawyer says.  Make sure you have a backup of your data before you try adding a new disk just to be on the safe side in case your remaining disk is on its last legs.