• April 18, 2024, 01:45:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless dropping, DNS failing  (Read 3407 times)

paulm17781

• Level 1 Member
Wireless dropping, DNS failing
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:08:17 AM »

I bought a dri-825 in January (rev B.1 Firmware 2.01EU). All was working great up until Monday morning when I saw the power and Internet lights were orange. I thought nothing of this and rebooted.

It has since done this at least once a day since then. If I put a cable in I can access it by IP but the DNS fails. It sometimes takes 3 - 4 reboots to get the wireless to work again.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix (new firmware, factory reset, DD-WRT) or should I return it?

It was rock solid for ~6 weeks until Sunday, now it reboots / fails daily. Please help, I really like(d) this router.

Thanks

delafield

• Level 1 Member
Re: Wireless dropping, DNS failing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »

I highly recommend returning it if you can. I have the same problems and they are not going away. I am not a fan of dd-wrt but some others on this board are trying it.  Oh and get this - you can't use the sip protocol on the 825 at all because the sip-application feature doesn't work and you can't shut it off (even when you tell it to turn off).

They have a beta firmware, but you bear the risk of trying to fix their problems. Dont just believe me. I recommend reading some of the posts around. You'll want to return it.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:48:26 PM »

My guess is that the return-policy of the store does not extend to 2-3 months. DD-WRT has no DIR-825 port, so that is out of the question. Have you tried the hard or 30/30/30 reset?

The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set most routers back to default values:
    * With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
    * Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
    * Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds

@delafield: SIP was not mentioned, so no need to bring that up here. There are other threads for that.

delafield

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »

Speaking of returning routers, I spoke to Amazon and they said they would take this router back after the regular return period (they sent a return code or whatever) because of all the complaints, but maybe that was just for me. Dunno. I actually didn't return the router, however, because I was too lazy. Just complaining more instead!

But now, I'm giving up, it's time to buy a new router. Never got this thing to work more than 50% of the time. The 50% of the time it is not working is because the 5GHz drops out.

@Mackerel: I did raise a new topic. He asked if he should return the router, and I gave him another reason if he was not already aware of it.