• March 28, 2024, 01:03:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Homegroup vs Network Magic Pro  (Read 8259 times)

Salamander

• Level 1 Member
Windows 7 Homegroup vs Network Magic Pro
« on: November 08, 2009, 01:47:14 PM »

I have Network Magic Pro with two Windows 7 desktops, a Vista laptop, and an XP laptop.  I will have Windows 7 on the two laptops shortly.  Does anyone have experience with both - such that they can give me some advice as to which to use Homegroup of Network Magic)?  I'm trying to decide whether to go with the Homegroup and get rid of Network Magic.  Or for that matter, is there any reason to have both?

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
Re: Windows 7 Homegroup vs Network Magic Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »

Homegroup will ONLY work on Windows 7 machines. So upgrading (I use that term loosely) Vista and XP systems to W7 should make them work work.

Network magic is OK, but I found just learning how to share your drives/printers is the best way to get it working. I have been having problems with Network Magic not seeing a machine "online", even though it is. And the only way to get it to see the machine is to reboot the machine that is not seeing it.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »

Get rid of Network Magic. The basic filesharing in W7 (Homegroup) is so easy you won't need it. You need to click the same items in W7 as you need to do with Network Magic, so loose the extra middleware.
Second issue is that W7/Vista machines won't detect/show an XP machine unless it has been patched (official)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Salamander

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »

Thanks!  As soon as I get Windows 7 on my other laptop, I getting rid of Network Magic.  You are right, the Homegroup sharing is working like a charm on my computers with Windows 7!