• March 28, 2024, 10:27:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-601 Keeps Wakeing my computer up from sleep mode  (Read 9143 times)

Jerryla

• Level 1 Member
DIR-601 Keeps Wakeing my computer up from sleep mode
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »

I have a computer that I use as a File Server (Windows 7 Ultimate - 64Bit).

I had a Netgear WGT624 that left the computer in "Sleep Mode".

I put in the DIR-601, the computer goes to sleep and approximately 30 to 45 seconds later it is woke up by the DIR-601.

I have googled every combination of phrases I can think of but every single one is about how to wake a computer up.

I am hoping that some one may have either the answer or a hint as to what it could be.

Things I have tried ....

Magic Packet keeps it in sleep mode but I prefer NOT to do this as it would require the other computers to run a program/script on a schedule basis to keep the File Server awake .... well when they need it .... well and that would tend to be rather complicated ....

I have disconnected all other computers from the circuit except the File Server and the DIR-601.  The file server continues to be woke up.

I remove the DIR-601 and the File Server stays asleep.

jerrry94087

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-601 Keeps Wakeing my computer up from sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »

My guess is that router's firewall settings aren't right and they let some packet from ythe internet to come to your LAN that is interpreted as a wake-on-lan packet. Maybe those settings aren't exposed to the user at all.

If your router is connected directly to the internet there is a lot of garbage traffic that attempts to come in. That's why the "WAN" light is always flashing. So some of these manage to wake your server up. This is a router fault.

Jerryla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »

That may be, but then it would require the DMZ to be malfunctioning.

I have the DMZ set to x.x.x.250 a non existent ip address.  This should, if it is working, route all non solicited traffic to a non existent ip address.

If I had to make a guess, I do believe the 601 boast of a feature to "power off unused ports", so it can be more "Green".  I postulate that this process sends a packet to all local computers before and then powers off the circuits that do not reply.  If this were the case, then that packet would of course wake up any computers that had gone to "sleep" preventing them from being "Green".

He he, if the above were the case then it would be the case of saving fractional pennies and wasting fractional dollars by keeping the computers awake.

jerrry94087

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:29:38 AM »

Testing if the system is alive is normally done by ping packet. It's not supposed to wake the system up.
Wake-on-lan packets are very special packets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN) and ae unlikely to be deliberately sent by router without an important reason. Unless there are some bugs.

Jerryla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »

This is not the way I understand it.

What you are detailing is, I believe, referred to as the "Magic Packet".

Indeed if I set the NIC card to wake on the "Magic Packet", then the File Server does NOT wake up.

The issue I have with this is in a "Home" environment there is no structure that is sophisticated enough to perform this function, in a seamless manner.

I could write a program and install it on all the other computers, set it in the system tray and have it send the "Magic Packet" and then proceed to pulse the File Server at a determined interval to "Keep it awake".

In one sense this would pretty much defeat the current setup, were it goes to sleep if not used for 15 minutes, then wake up when someone is looking to browse/read/write the Shares (and not mentioned as it is used extremely rarely a shared printer).  Then go back to sleep.

In all reality, the File Server may stay asleep for many hours, because the majority of time the computers are on, the people are browsing the internet, playing games, doing things with files that are stored locally.

jerrry94087

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »

I see, so your computer isn't shut down, it's up but hibernating. I assumed the former first.
OS wakes it up on "any" traffic, and then after a while goes back to hibernation.
This is probably the OS fault, it shouldn't wake up from hibernation on mundane packets.
Let me guess .... this is Windows?

On the other hand, it would be great if DIR-601 had this user-settable. Option "Power down ports for inactive hosts" would be an appropriate name. Hopefully DLink people read this forum.

DIR-601 only consumes ~5 Watts, and powering down individual ports can maybe bring this down by ~0.5W each. Not a big difference at all.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:43:04 PM by jerrry94087 »

Jerryla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »

In essence yes, but I will disagree on it being an OS issue.  In a paradigm of the "Magic Packet" then yes the OS should not wake on anything but the "Magic Packet" we agree here.

In a paradigm were the computer performs a vital service, but only on occasion, in the case File Server and/or Print Server, it is beneficial for the computer to come out of sleep mode to perform its service based on the network traffic to it.  In short, wake up, here is some work.  I do not believe, Linux, Mac or Windows prefixes its work traffic with a "magic packet", so someone, in this case me, would need to make a choice, write a rather (understatement) complicated program(s) that new that the work was going to be performed and the worker computer was in sleep mode, then issue the "magic packet" before the work was actually started.

OR I could write a service/program to stay in memory and pulse the Worker Computer with a "magic packet" on a periodic basis, in essence forcing it to stay awake as long as any computer was turned on.

Obviously the later is ... simpler to do, but if the worker computer on average was required to be on 1 hour out of every 24 hours and computers could be on as much as 14 to 16 hours, then the worker computer is on far longer than it needs to be.

If the DLink is doing this then I agree it would be great to have the option to turn it off.

On the other hand, this Atom 320 is using about 80% less power being on than the obsoleted Celeron computer it replaced so it is achieving its goal but it could be better.

Yes it is Windows 7 Ultimate (way over kill but ...) 64 Bit.  All computers but one are W7 Ultimate 64Bit except one that is XP 32Bit.

Here is the rub.  I very much want the Atom to be Linux BUT SAMBA screws up the Printer service for any and all 64 Bit OS's.  They have acknowledge the problem and have stated it will be resolved, just not in the immediate future.

Windows 7 is only marginally better.  It will connect and install the shared printer, but if you make any changes to the printer preferences then the printer will go off-line to the computer making the change.

There are two work around, delete the printer and re-install it, make your change and print
OR
Restart the print spooler.

Neither solution makes me a happy camper as there should NOT be the need for a workaround.

SAMBA not getting it right, after they did have it right in a previous version but changed how something was handled and that screwed up the 64 bit printing is annoying as Hades as I really do want to put Linux on that box.

IF DLink read these then I would STRONGLY suggest they use a PRIMARY ISP DNS as the 2nd DNS, and their secure DNS as the primary.  Role down to the 2nd DNS if the Primary DNS goes off line *cough* as it has done.  Because it doesn't do this, I need to keep the Advanced DNS set to off as the last thing I want to hear is how no one can get on the internet.  ::)

Again, I like the idea behind the Secure DNS and would use it in a heart beat, but again, the last thing I want to hear is how no one can get to the internet.

For the record:

Sleep in this context is all power is turned off except to the NIC and to memory.  Or in short, just enough power is on to keep memory stable and detect a WOL, providing a rapid wake up.

Hibernate as I think you are using it would write all memory to disk, do a standard power down, then on WoL do a standard resume by reading memory from the hibernate file a longer process but a further reduction in power.  In my opinion, powering a single 2GB ram stick probably does not consume that much more than the hibernate mode.  On the other hand the resume is ... noticeably faster.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:07:24 PM by Jerryla »