• March 28, 2024, 02:33:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Some laptops will not connect to router. Will connect after a reboot of router.  (Read 20044 times)

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

Yeah maybe the router is faulty. I use this router at home constantly streaming and gaming in a 2 story house with zero problems. I know windows 10 has issue reconnecting to wireless networks, especially after going in sleep/hibernation mode. I assume your wireless adapters are on-board and not USB?

Sounds like you've done all you can. I wold contact support to see if they can RMA the router for you.

Maybe reset it 1 more time and DO NOT change any settings (other than the wireless network name/password and setting up your ISP). Do not change anything else including IP addresses, etc. See if the problem continues.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

Yeah maybe the router is faulty. I use this router at home constantly streaming and gaming in a 2 story house with zero problems. I know windows 10 has issue reconnecting to wireless networks, especially after going in sleep/hibernation mode. I assume your wireless adapters are on-board and not USB?

Sounds like you've done all you can. I wold contact support to see if they can RMA the router for you.

Maybe reset it 1 more time and DO NOT change any settings (other than the wireless network name/password and setting up your ISP). Do not change anything else including IP addresses, etc. See if the problem continues.

Wireless adapters are on-board. I can try the reset again. Though I believe I have done it 3 times since I purchased the router. Even then initially I did not change any settings including name/password. 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

I agree with GreenBay, you done all you can. Get the router RMAd ASAP.

Mines running flawlessly.

Are you running Windows 10 on your laptops?

https://www.webnots.com/fix-wifi-connection-issue-in-windows-10/

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/wifi-keeps-disconnecting-or-dropping-out-on-windows-10-solved/

When it drops, don't try to connect. Just open a web browser and see if you can get to the Internet. Also, go to start > type in CMD. At the prompt type ipconfig. see if you computer is getting an IP address (192.168.0.xxx unless you changed the router's LAN IP address). The default gateway should be the IP of fthe router (192.168.0.1).

This is a difficult issue to figure out what is happening. It's either environment, some weird incompatibility issues with the adapters and router, Windows issue, or the router is defective. If there is interference or your laptops are in a spot where it cannot communicate with the router it may explain it. Remember wireless is 2-way communication. It doesn't matter how strong the router signal is, if the adapters signal isn't strong enough or there is some interference near the laptops, the connection will not be good.  But the fact that the only way to regain connection is rebooting the router, not the laptops, is making this more difficult.

Does everything work good other than the dropping?

If both laptops are connecting at the same time, does 1 drop while the other works or do they drop around the same time? If all other devices that are connected to the 2.4GHz band drop around the same time then it definitely is a router issue.

Where is the router located? How are the antennas situated? What is around the router? What is in between the router and your laptops when they drop? Make sure there is at least 3 feet of air around the antennas.

1 or 2 story house?

Wireless is very sensitive. Fish tanks, appliances, bluetooth, wireless ceiling fans, mirrors, glass, etc can cause issues.

All laptops are running Windows 10. One of the laptops when used is like 6 feet from the router at all times. There is nothing in the way between the router and at least one laptop. A wall between the other.  House is a Tri level dwelling. All laptops affected are on the same level as the router.

Has there been an occurrence where only 1 laptop was affected and the rest were not. That is possible though most of the time no one on the 2.4gz can connect.

Laptops do not seem to drop connection when used. It is only after no one appears to use there laptops for a period of time then they cannot connect to the network as it shows disconnected.

Cannot connect to router or any internet in the browser when this is happening. When you hit connect it cycles like it is trying to connect then times out and says cannot connect. Laptops are different make and models with at the time new fresh load of Windows 10.

There is some network performance that has me scratching my head. I have seen the network run incredibly slow until I restarted the router. Then the performance for the rest of the day improves greatly. Laptops are generally running Facebook and browser for email. Nothing data intensive. The two desktops are running much more intensive data transfer between two pc's. Nothing huge just a networked program pulling field data from the server to my work station and some Youtube.   

As mentioned before I have restored the router to factory specs several times and updated firmware in exact steps as mentioned on here. No changes in performance.

I think there is something wrong with this router. My POC linksys I used to have ran better then this router has from day 1. 

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

Well I am back.

I RMA the router little over a month ago and received another router back.

Day 1, I plug the new router into the network. ( I note that it is updated to latest firmware etc.)

Day 2, I unplug the POC router. Same issue as before,  other devices in morning cannot connect until router is rebooted. Also I note on day 1 the network is running like crap. This was noted on the original router also.

I plug the old linksys router back in and the network runs just fine and since then NOT 1 device has had a issue.

I have many years experience in the IT industry from break fix to networking etc. So I like to think its not me or something in this house, being that a generic $50 linksys router out performs this router with no issues.

So I decided to drop the router off to a buddy who has more experience then I in the IT industry.

Last night he plugs the router in and sets the family devices all up with the new router. He then calls me today and says half of the devices would connect to the router the other half including his Iphone would not connect. Just like before it shows the connection though when trying to connect it just says cannot connect until of course you restart the router. Note he is in a household running about 6-10 devices wireless.

So that being said, what the hell do I do now?????

Also, the warranty on the original router expired toward the end of February if that matters.

So any thoughts or ideas????........   >:(

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

When you got the new router, did the router already come loaded with most current or did you upgrade it manually?

Wow, was sure hoping that the new one would resolve this...kind of out of ideas. If you tested it as your place and at a different location, with same problem, why is this new one failing as well.

Only other thing we can try, since the router is out of warranty and you can get back to OEM FW, Wanna try loading DD-WRT on it and see if same thing happens?
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?board=610.0

You can load up most current release and test it out and see if same thing happens. If it does, then maybe a HW issue. If it doesn't, then something in OEM FW and between your devices would be the symptom.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

The router came loaded with the most current software.

If it is a issue between HW and OEM FW then it is a mighty big one. Many different kinds of devices have now experienced the same issue with this router. 

I am willing to try anything instead of throwing it away. A lot of money wasted if I cannot get this to work not to mention I will probably steer away from Dlink routers in the future especially if i cannot get this solved. As my buddy who tested this for me said. This router is useless as it works now.

Hell at this point, I would ship this to the president of DLINK or their head engineer on my dime and say go home and plug it in and see what I am talking about.   

So being that the original warranty is out, I am completely without warranty now including with the one they sent to me?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

I think so. Something to ask support and see.

Well give the WRT a go. Just follow the FAQ instructions well. You have the ability to go back to OEM FW using the recovery mode at any time. Lets see if we can get this thing going. Ya I agree, these are not cheap units to have not running correctly. IT will be helpful to know if the problem goes away with WRT.

AT some point maybe we can get D-Link support to review more on this as well.

cjs24

• Level 1 Member

I have been having the same problems as zeoph since I purchased my DIR-890L as well. Luckily, it is just my dear wife that has a laptop with only 2.4 signal as well as her iPhone. We also have some webcams that work off of 2.4 GHz and some other smart home equipment. All of the devices drop at the same time in my experience. And just like zeoph, I have to reset my router to get them to work. Hopefully this issue can be resolved at some point.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

When you say all your devices drop at the same time, are you talking about the wireless connection or the Internet is dropping?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?

I have been having the same problems as zeoph since I purchased my DIR-890L as well. Luckily, it is just my dear wife that has a laptop with only 2.4 signal as well as her iPhone. We also have some webcams that work off of 2.4 GHz and some other smart home equipment. All of the devices drop at the same time in my experience. And just like zeoph, I have to reset my router to get them to work. Hopefully this issue can be resolved at some point.

cjs24

• Level 1 Member

I'm using firmware version 1.20.
Hardware version A2
I'm in Iowa. We have fiber optic Internet, but have had 2 different dsl servers on the same router previously on different homes and had the same issues. We don't have any cordless phones or anything else on the 2.4 GHz band that I can think of. And there are a couple of WiFi signals that reach our house from neighbors but I am on different channels and their signals are weak. Also, having lived in 3 different locations while using this router I am certain that is not the issue.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

I would contact D-LInk support and ask for help and information regarding this. Possible a RMA maybe needed.
I'm using firmware version 1.20.
Hardware version A2
I'm in Iowa. We have fiber optic Internet, but have had 2 different dsl servers on the same router previously on different homes and had the same issues. We don't have any cordless phones or anything else on the 2.4 GHz band that I can think of. And there are a couple of WiFi signals that reach our house from neighbors but I am on different channels and their signals are weak. Also, having lived in 3 different locations while using this router I am certain that is not the issue.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

*UPDATE*
Sorry it has taken so long to get back about this.

WRT WORKS!

I followed the instructions and since then the router has had ZERO problems.  No dropping, lag etc. All devices stay connected.

I seen several new posts about this same router. This fix has taken care of the issue. Been working for several months with no issue.

Thanks for all the help. Especially FurryNutz!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Glads its finally working with WRT.
Enjoy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]