• April 19, 2024, 06:32:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Antenna, Yeah..it's eff'd  (Read 6420 times)

WilliamA

• Level 1 Member
  • Just a Dude.
Antenna, Yeah..it's eff'd
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »

Went to move the antenna to hopefully get a better signal out and it snapped in my hands. 

Routers for years have had replaceable antennas... "Y U NO MAKE REPLACEABLE!!!!!"

I swear, in 1969 they could put men on the effn moon with calculators the size of a Buick and monkey paw wishes but I can't get decent electronics in todays super home computing power, x64 bit mega machine, geek run industry of the future!! WTF?

This is my last D-link router. I'm going old school. Linksys + Tomato firmware. Uuuhhhggg!
Just a dude, doing dude things, in a not so dude world.

shiekh

• Level 2 Member
Re: Antenna, Yeah..it's eff'd
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »

The DIR-601 has a place on the board for a

"PCB mount RP SMA female plug right angle connector" ($1 on ebay with shipping)

almost where the original exits (from the original FCC pictures). I wonder if it just needs the connector soldered in, or if one needs more components added to the board, and if it can use the original exit hole (it seems a little off center of the original).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:30:18 PM by shiekh »

WilliamA

• Level 1 Member
  • Just a Dude.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »

The DIR-601 has a place on the board for a

"PCB mount RP SMA female plug right angle connector" ($1 on ebay with shipping)

almost where the original exits (from the original FCC pictures). I wonder if it just needs the connector soldered in, or if one needs more components added to the board, and if it can use the original exit hole (it seems a little off center of the original).

I'm listening. Is what you're saying sounding like I have to crack open the box and solder in an extra more better (pick up you thoughts) kinda antenna? If so, I'm game.

WilliamA

• Level 1 Member
  • Just a Dude.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:07:20 AM »

I think I see what to do. The five post connections right under the "Antenna" wire. The only problem is I'm not sure how to test whether or not those connections on the PCB are active or just dummy slots. I'm not that tech savy. I do have a five dollar volt meter from Harbor freight! Whoo Hoo! Other than that, I have a Dremel to pop a bigger hole in the case for the new antenna PCB mount RP SMA female plug right angle connector.

shiekh

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »

Might be worth a try.

As far as I can tell (from the FCC pictures for the DIR-600), the 600 also does not use this mount.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=663367&fcc_id=%27KA2DIR600A1%27

One could use a multimeter to see if the mount is connected directly to where the antenna attaches to the board at the moment; however, I suspect that this idea is not going to work.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM by shiekh »

WilliamA

• Level 1 Member
  • Just a Dude.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »

Might be worth a try.

As far as I can tell (from the FCC pictures for the DIR-600), the 600 also does not use this mount.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=663367&fcc_id=%27KA2DIR600A1%27

One could use a multimeter to see if the mount is connected directly to where the antenna attaches to the board at the moment; however, I suspect that this idea is not going to work.
Wrong picture, got it. I just nabbed this one from the introwebs as an example. I assumed the 600 and the 601 are similar. Either way, I'm going to try something.

shiekh

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »

Since your antenna is done for anyhow, you could solder it to the new position to see if there is a signal.

Tell us how it goes

I fear it will not work, but if it does then it may be worth getting the "PCB mount RP SMA female plug right angle connector".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:06:50 PM by shiekh »

WilliamA

• Level 1 Member
  • Just a Dude.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »

Copy that. Will do as soon as time permits.

shiekh

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

I found about 1.8V AC across where the connector goes, so who knows what that means...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:49:09 PM by shiekh »

shiekh

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »

I put an antenna connector on the board, but no luck; I wonder if it needs to be turned on via firmware.