• March 28, 2024, 05:12:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-882 - Need to access a device not linked to my DLink  (Read 2041 times)

Triumph31

• Level 1 Member
DIR-882 - Need to access a device not linked to my DLink
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »

Hye,

I use a modem which IP @ is 192.168.1.1 : every RJ45 at home is linked to this modem.
I have a Raspberry Pi (IP 192.168.1.10) which is in one room.
My DIR-882 router is in another room and has IP 192.168.1.2.
LAN addresses are 192.168.0.x addresses, because my DLink LAN IP is 192.168.0.1

I need, for several devices in my LAN (so with 192.168.0.x IP @), to access my 192.168.1.40 Raspberry and I can't understand how can I manage to do it.

Is there a solution ?

thanX

me_iauras

• Level 2 Member
Re: DIR-882 - Need to access a device not linked to my DLink
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:36:13 PM »

You're doing double NAT now so you have 2 options .
You can add static routes on your modem ( or on the Raspberry Pi itself )to inform it to route all traffic intended to the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet through the 192.168.1.2 gateway instead of it's default WAN gateway from your ISP . Normally now all your packets initiated from the 192.168.0.x clients are reaching their target 192.168.1.10 but this equipment doesn't know how to reach back those 192.168.0.x IPs . That would be the bad option as you would still be doing double NAT and would be like scratching your left ear with your right hand over your head .
The best option would be to consolidate all equipments in  a single subnet ; you can do that either by turning off the router functions of your modem if that is possible (it's usually possible for fiber optics ONT type devices but less likely on cable modem types ) and leave thhe DIR 882 as the only router in your network (the Raspberry Pi would have to be moved to one of the DLink's switch ports ) . If that isn't feasible then turn your DLink router  into an AP like so > http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0 . By having only one router active/one DHCP server / one broadcast domain in your network your clients will be able to  communicate with each other unimpeded .
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:56:01 AM by FurryNutz »

Triumph31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »

For your second solution, I'm not sure to understand solution 2 : it's just plugging my Raspberry directly to my router ? It was the case, before, but now I want my Pi in another room, therefore, it's impossible to have a direct link between Pi and router.

Solution 3 : AP. Does it mean that my router will only be used as Wifi access point, or can I plug my device to it ?

What will happen if :
- I activate DHCP of my modem
- I let my Pi in room 1, directly plugged to the modem
- I let my devices plugged to my dLink router and I plug the router to my RJ45, using a LAN plug of the router

Will my router be seen as a simple switch, and will my devices be in the same network my Pi ?

me_iauras

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »

You understood mostly correct ;
  • If you make the DIR 882 the only router in your network then your modem would become unusable as a network access device so any device would have to be connected directly to the ethernet ports on the DIR 882 or to the Wifi network it broadcasts
  • In the version in which you turn your DLink 882 into a makeshift AP then yes you can still use it's ethernet ports for switch duties but be aware that one of them will be occupied by the uplink with your modem (since there is no native AP mode in the DLink firmware you cannot use the WAN port when using it in an AP role ) . In this case you are obliged to leave the DHCP active on the modem since the one from the DIR 882 will be disabled ;  the modem DHCP will serve IPs to all clients connected either directly to it or connected to the DIR 882 (ethernet & Wifi) . All clients will share the same subnet ( the one from the modem , 192.168.1.0/24) and will normally be able to communicate with eachother (be carefull that no option ilike "AP Issolation"/"Client issolation") is active on the modem as that would prevent clients seeing eachother

Triumph31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 07:11:37 AM »

I think I understood your explanations, thanks.
For now, I stay with my main devices connected to the router, in my office, and my Raspberry will remain connected by Wifi.

I'll see when I'll have more time to change that.

Thanx again