• March 19, 2024, 02:14:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Plex and DIR 882  (Read 3653 times)

Damjan

• Level 1 Member
Plex and DIR 882
« on: April 04, 2019, 06:55:11 AM »

Hi,
maybe it is a stupid question but I will ask anyway  ;)

I have DIR 882 router and WD my passport 4TB drive connected to it. Everything works OK.
Is there a chance to install plex server on router so I dont have to have my comp turned on all the time?

Is there any alternative to fix problem like this?
Thanks.

me_iauras

• Level 2 Member
Re: Plex and DIR 882
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »

It's not such a stupid question ; you cannot install PLEX server on the router but there is however an embeded DLNA Media Server you can enable (found under the Settings >> USB Sharing  ) which can bring you most of the functions PLEX provides you with ( except for the prety interface that is).
After enabling the DLNA Server any DLNA clients in your network (most recent Smart TVs , Android/IOS devices ) can access the media files (music. photo , movies ) stored on your server .
Smart TVs should work "as is" (normally the DLNA server should appear as a input source for ex.) ; for smartphones/tablets you would need to install client software ( Bubble UPnP for ex. for Android devices  ) and also a media player able to play your specific files ( .mkv for movies for ex. )
As previously stated you will not get the prety interface/media library from PLEX ( with album art. and such ) but instead will see a list of media files you can play .

Damjan

• Level 1 Member
Re: Plex and DIR 882
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 11:47:11 AM »

Thanks for reply.
Damjan