• April 24, 2024, 06:35:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 320l - Question aboute media center  (Read 2324 times)

ashramkun

• Level 1 Member
320l - Question aboute media center
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:57:37 PM »

Hello
I just get a 320l and I have a question about the build-in Media center.

For test purpose, I shared a folder with 4 videos formats:
- MKV
- AVI
- MP4
- FLV

Tried to use my PS3 and my Smart TV... and only the flv file was playing.
My question is: If i install another media center... would these files work?

As I can see, there are:
- Plex (paid)
- MiniDLNA (free)
- Kodi (free? I found a user saying that its good and free, but no download link)
- Twonky (Don´t know if its paid or not.. yet)

Which one is the best?
Thanks

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
Re: 320l - Question aboute media center
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 04:54:04 AM »

I'm no geek or techy  ;)

The 320L doesn't have the necessary capabilities to transcode http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/transcoding.html and therefore it would also depend on the connected devices and what they can play.

I've tried Plex and Twonky but now have Kodi (all the same version) on mobile/android tv box (main), pc and tablet - with the database (used by all 3 Kodi's held on the 320L)
Kodi allows streaming to my Sony Home Cinema - I can also take my mobile or tablet to a friends house and stream the same content (so long as good internet) to any devices I can connect to.

With using Kodi I can throw most media files onto the 320L but I do find MKV files easier and smaller to handle - therefore any non MKV movies are dropped into MKVToolNix even though MKV is only a container.

HTH

ps If I knew what I know now I'd of never purchased a DLink NAS - don't expect much other than a Network Attached Storage device
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:57:29 AM by philphil61 »