• March 28, 2024, 02:04:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: USB-HD not showing on phone and possible security issue shareport mobile.  (Read 8059 times)

preske

• Level 1 Member

I connected a 1.5TB 3.0 USB to my 857. Both Shareport and the router seem to recognize it just fine and I can access it on my pc.

I installed shareport Mobile on my android, enabled 'web file access', and when I eventually got it working, (which was a pain in the XXX) I noticed the password wasn't hidden. So if someone takes a peek on my tablet or phone, he can see my IP, logindetails and password and as such access my files on his own remotely, right?

So I threw it of my device, disabled 'web file access' and started searching for dlna apps on the store. However, detection is spotty. When it does get recognized, only a couple of files are shown. I checked names, sizes, exotic characters in the filename,... the files are all ok, so it should work, but it doesn't. Some maps aren't even complete.

One last thing. Since I am planning on using this router only locally, I disabled 'web file access'. If I do have to enable it if I want to see the USB-HD, will the traffic be local, or will it show up on my ISP-bandwith limit? I'm a bit worried about this because I have to enter my isp-ip, instead of a local 192.xxx.xxx.xx ip.

Firmware is 1.00

Doctor Doom

• Level 3 Member

Since Shareport mobile is designed to be used with your mobile device, if you have locked the phone or tablet they shouldn't have access to anything. Yes if someone were to look over your shoulder they could possibly see this information.

The DLNA feature should work with most devices you throw on it. The more common devices (Smart TV's, WD live, Roku etc) should not have issues with the DLNA feature. I would recommend updating the firmware http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-857&tab=3
The indexing for files could take awhile as well so if you happen to have a lot of files they may not show up right away after a reboot of the router.

The DLNA feature is local only. The webfile access can be local and remote depending on what you checkmarked on the page. If you click "Enable Web File Access" only then it will only be local and you should only be able to access it via the local IP of 192.168.0.1 within your network only. In this scenario you will not even be touching your ISP-bandwidth at all.

Hope this helps

preske

• Level 1 Member

Sadly, it did not.

I succesfully updated the firmware, and none of the issues were resolved.

In fact, the router just stopped working for me. It's only 9 days old. Lovely... And because I am now past the legal return-time, I now have to send it in for RMA.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:38:49 PM by preske »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Care to explain how the router is no longer working for you after the update?
Factory reset the router after the update?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

preske

• Level 1 Member

Care to explain how the router is no longer working for you after the update?
Factory reset the router after the update?

The update was successful, so that wasn't the issue. I was streaming (badly, if I might add) a movie to one of my devices via the shareport mobile app, and it just stopped. No more wireless internet, no more wired internet. I had to use a manual reboot to get it working again. This has happend two times now.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Let see if we can figure out whats going on here:

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.

Some things to try:
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options temporarily. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking.

Link>Wireless Installation Considerations
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.

Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Cat6 is recommended.

Maybe someone can review your router settings with you using teamviewer if your interested. Its safe and secure.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.