• April 24, 2024, 04:05:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wired and wireless network very slow  (Read 6229 times)

Al_Baby

• Level 1 Member
Wired and wireless network very slow
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:54:43 PM »

Hi.

Approx 3 weeks ago my network went very slow. I put it down to bad storms in the area. This affected the wireless network as well as wired Ethernet connections to my QNAP TS-209 NAS and PS3.

I have tried everything I could think of and checked this forum to turn off/on QOS, WISH, set the ranges 20 20/40 AES WPA2 security etc.

Firmware was upgraded to 1.22NA a while back.

I had the ISP engineer out and he tested the broadband connection to the Motorola SB900 cable OK. I'm running a 30Mbps connection so speed should be OK. Plugging the PC directly into the Motorola broadand modem delivers blistering speed.

I even replaced the Ethernet cables with Cat 6 cables.

I gave up and reverted to my old DIR-635. Guess what - same slowness.

through more trial an error I have determined that plugging my QNAP TS-209 NAS into a port on the back of the DIR-855 causes the whole network to slow. If I remove the Ethernet cable from the DIR-855 internet browsing speeds back up to normal. It is is running the up to date firmware. I checked the QNAP forum and no errors of this sort have been reported on it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? are there any settings I can use on the D-link.

I've not really been happy with the unit as I can't connect to the 5G band at more that 10-15 Mpbs and the connection is flakey.

Do I just go out and get a Linksys unit?

Al_Baby

MLGTWISTED

• Level 2 Member
Re: Wired and wireless network very slow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »

I just don't think the latest firmware is stable at all, for me this has been the worst firmware, speed si completely random, one min speeds can be normal and others down in the ditch.  So its all about consistency which d-link routers; 4500 and onwards have never been good at.

I just hope a new firmware is out soon, and I hope d-link know what the problems are and how to fix them.

Again, I think maintaining a stable connection and the 3 day disconnects are somehow related, lets hope a fix is coming, because I can't keep buying new routers; in a hope that a newer model is better; because it isn't.

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »

Al_Baby:

What error messages are you seeing in the DIR-855 syslog? Is the Router's DHCP server enabled?
Judging from the troubleshooting that you have done, I would think the problem would be in the NAS. Maybe a power surge occurred during one of the storms and caused the NAS configuration to reset back to factory defaults. Look at the NAS tcp/ip parameters page to make sure that the DHCP server is NOT enabled. Two active DHCP servers running on the same network is a train wreck.

Magnetron1

Al_Baby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:56:43 AM »

Hi.

Guess what - the speed issue has resolved itself. Internet browsing great - NAS download station going great guns. speedtest.net internet speed test shows 10 Mbps download speed.

for the benefit of others I have checked the NAS and DHCP is not enabled. Syslog on NAS only slows the following error:

Failed to synchronize the time from NTP server. (File error)

In terms of Dlink router errors many many informational errors appeared, no warnings or system errors. I have pasted a selection of them below:

[INFO]   Sat Jan 31 10:40:23 2004   Blocked outgoing TCP packet from 192.168.0.129:49922 to 203.59..xxx.xx:xxxx as PSH:ACK received but there is no active connection

[INFO]   Sat Jan 31 10:40:23 2004   Blocked outgoing TCP packet from 192.168.0.129:45102 to 85.176.xxx.xx:xxxx as FIN:PSH:ACK received but there is no active connection

[INFO]   Sat Jan 31 10:40:22 2004   WAN interface speed measurement aborted as they did not converge

[INFO]   Sat Jan 31 10:40:33 2004   2.4GHz Band DLINKxxxx: Wireless system with MAC address 00xxxxxxxxxx disconnected for reason: Authentication Failed

[INFO]   Sat Jan 31 10:45:41 2004   UPnP renew entry 255.255.255.255 <-> 192.168.1.2:49822 <-> 192.168.0.149:49822 UDP timeout:0 'Teredo'

[INFO]   Sat Jan 31 10:46:03 2004   2.4GHz Band DLINKxxxx: Wireless system with MAC address 00xxxxxxxxxx disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication

And yes I just realised the date was wrong and have enabled auto time configuration via the NTP server and the year is now 2010!!!!!

Next time this occurs I'll unplug the NAS a few times to see if the issue resolves itself.

Al_Baby