• April 19, 2024, 06:21:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: ext2 or ext3  (Read 5722 times)

Aquilae

• Level 1 Member
ext2 or ext3
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »

Hi,

What are the exact benefits/drawbacks in using either ext2 or ext3 specifically with the DNS-343?

"Best performance/Most stable" does not really contain enough details to make an informed decision.

I am aware of the differences between the two file systems in terms of journalling/etc, but what level of testing has been placed on using the two different filesystems with the DNS-343?

The ext3 filesystem seems to be a new addition to the DLink DNS series.

krueger86

• Level 1 Member
Re: ext2 or ext3
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »

I would like to know as well.   I have setup my DNS-343 with the ext3 file system.  With 4 Seagate 1TB drives.  I have been trying to copy about 700 GB of data for days now.  I first tried using the download utility of the 343 and it did not copy all the data and stopped transferring.  I lost power at the house and then tried to do a incremental backup and it was not progressing.  So now I am trying to push the data using Allways Sync and that is taking forever.  I know that there are a lot of variables.   

But I am noticing some hiccups with the 343.  Like the front displays stating an IP of 192.168.0.32 when the easylink utility shows a IP of 192.168.0.106 and I can connect to the drive using the same IP.  Powered down and it then read correct IP. 

I wanted to test the RAID so I powered down and pulled a drive.  I had setup the 343 to email me when a drive failed.  Powered the unit back up and it did not send an email.  Reported that the RAID was degraded.  I then sent test email from the unit and it sent just fine.  I put the drive back in and it states that it is in the process of doing a 774 minute sync.  That is 12.88 hours.  A long time in my opinion.  But, I am new to these units and want to make sure that my data is safe.

Sorry I do not mean to hijack this thread.  If it needs to be moved please let me know.

Thanks,
Krueger86

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »

Sorry I do not mean to hijack this thread.  If it needs to be moved please let me know.

I am not the mod here, but I would start a new thread if you want your non filesystem question points addressed.

The reason I didn't answer this before is because I didn't quite understand the original posters confusion, so I will spell it out for everyone since I guess I was the confused one.

EXT3 is EXT2 with a journal

a journal allows quicker (and more reliable) filesystem recovery in case of a unexpected unmount (like losing power).

Thats it!

My personal recommendation is that everyone use EXT3 every time for every job.  The performance cost of writing a journal is unnoticed in a network appliance such as this, and HDs are not as access sensitive as say flash where you would want to avoid the extraneous reads and writes.
non progredi est regredi

krueger86

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:10:36 PM »

Thanks, that is a little clearer.  I will post the rest in a new thread.