• March 28, 2024, 12:45:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Anyone installed 930L outdoors?  (Read 11558 times)

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
Anyone installed 930L outdoors?
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »

There is plenty of evidence that 930L can survive outside semi-protected. I am wondering if anyone has done it.

busterboy

• Level 1 Member
Re: Anyone installed 930L outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:03:54 AM »

I have two 932L cameras installed outdoors under a overhang of the garage. Tempretures have been lower than freezing and they are protected from rain. I have not had any problems
Mind you I have only had them for 3 months so time may tell

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:12:53 AM »

We have been using a DCS-930L and a DCS-932L outside, under overhangs, for more than a year with no bad effects here in Southern California.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »

Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »

My question is how to mount it on the wall above the garage door. We have stucco siding so the surface is pretty rough and the 930L base isn't really designed for sturdy outside mounting. Looks like I need to install some sort of plate to the wall first then mount the camera. Getting power to it is a whole another issue. Is there a way to extend the power cord without crude cutting and splining?

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »

We made a wooden plate, maybe 4 inches square and 1/2" thick. This was cut out forming a "U" shape a bit smaller than the camera. Then the rear surface was cut away using a Dremel tool so the camera could slide into the opening. Takes more time to type this than to make it. Then this was mounted to the stucco wall with long screws, after drilling starting holes. The camera can be easily lifted out of this holder.

Don't add too much length (resistance) to the DC feed - or use BIG wire. The camera doesn't like for the voltage to be too low.

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »

Very smart, acellier. I almost get the picture but not quite. When mounted, is the base sandwiched between the plate and the wall? If you tighten the base would the camera still slide out? Seems not.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »

Yes, the camera is held in the grooves of the wooden plate. The back of the camera base flange is against the stucco wall. The opening of the U shape is upward, so the camera can't fall out. Movability of the camera base depends on how deep the grooves are cut - I didn't measure anything! - and the rough stucco is pushing against the camera base. Too bad we can't attach pictures here.

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »

I get the picture now. Looks like I have to dust off my router(the wood kind).

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »

I prefer not to run a thick extension cord the length of the garage just to plug in a puny adaptor.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »

"I prefer not to run a thick extension cord" ...
But, is necessary!
if you try to splice in additional length on the 5 volt DC side, the voltage drop will be enormous and the camera will not work, unless you use a very fat wire - bigger than the extension cord!
Google Ohm's law.
I did add about 2 feet to my dc cord, and already the voltage was getting marginal.
My qualifications for explaining this include BSEE and MSEE.

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »

Thanks acellier. I have read that elsewhere.  A cleaner hook up is perhaps to put an outlet close to the camera but inside the house.