• March 28, 2024, 12:38:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't Specify DNS Server if you are using PPPoE in 1.05 firmware  (Read 4410 times)

Hokie74

• Level 1 Member

I just replaced a my DI 624 with a WBR 2310. I tried replacing the Windstream DNS servers with the ones for OpenDNS and found that you cannot change the DNS server entries when you are using PPPoE. I could in the 624. I am running v1.05 firmware.

Renelson De Jesus

• Level 1 Member
Re: Can't Specify DNS Server if you are using PPPoE in 1.05 firmware
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:03:29 PM »

DI-624 and WBR-2310 runs on different set of firmware and program. You can only set a DNS Server Address in the router when you set the Internet Configuration to Static PPPoE.

Besides, if the DNS Server Address is not the one that your ISP provided, you might encounter some errors or problems wile using it. Better use the DNS Address provided by your ISP to be safe. :)

ScaryFast

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure you can change it to Static PPPoE, enter the DNS servers, and then change back to Dynamic PPPoE and the DNS entries will remain. Can't guarantee that they pass those on to each pc via DHCP however.

It's always best to enter your proper DNS servers in your router to prevent lots of weird issues rather than relying on the ISP to assign them properly.

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:04:02 AM »

I just replaced a my DI 624 with a WBR 2310. I tried replacing the Windstream DNS servers with the ones for OpenDNS and found that you cannot change the DNS server entries when you are using PPPoE. I could in the 624. I am running v1.05 firmware.

Flash the WBR-2310 with Dlink 624 Rev D firmware - which you can download from Dlink's website.

See the (long) thread about these Routers disconnecting for details from a number of us. The 2310 firmware is ... well ... not quite written with a "full deck of cards" (if you see what I mean).....   ;)