• April 26, 2024, 12:43:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: UPnP + Xbox 360 + Thousands of Files  (Read 3249 times)

paulmedynski

• Level 1 Member
UPnP + Xbox 360 + Thousands of Files
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »

I've got a DNS-323 running the v1.09 firmware.  I have the UPnP AV Server enabled sharing from the "Volume_1/media" folder that I created to hold all of my media files.  I have three subfolders:
audio/  - 58GB of audio in 15,000 files
pictures/  - 31GB of images in 16,000 files
video/  - 206GB in 500 files
When I share all of this content, my Xbox 360 appears to time-out whenever I access the DNS-323 via the Video Library, Music Library, or Picture Library entries under the My Xbox section of the dashboard.

If I reduce the UPnP share to just the "Volume_1/media/video" folder, then access to my videos via the Xbox's Video Library becomes possible again, but I lose the ability to access my audio and pictures.

Does anyone else have a large number of files shared and is still able to access their content via their Xbox 360?

I can't for the life of me figure out how to access the DNS-323's UPnP content from Windows.  I've tried Media Player 11 and a few other UPnP tools, but none of them let me actually browse and play any content.

Any suggestions?  I'd like to find out if it is the DNS-323 or my XBox (or both?) that is misbehaving here.

Thanks,
-Paul

reardonmetal

• Level 1 Member
Re: UPnP + Xbox 360 + Thousands of Files
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:03:26 AM »

I've struggled with the DNS-323 and UPnP on both Media Player (10, 11, XP, Vista, 7) and also the Xbox 360...

Finally, tonight, seemed to make some headway...don't even know why I decided to mess with this as I had pretty much given up and used shared folders from the NAS to windows7 media player and shared from that to the Xbox. (The PC is on most of the time anyway since it acts as a DVR and servers media center to the xbox).

But anyway, if you save your DNS config settings, then reset them to default, then reload them it seems to fix the UPnP problems.  It's very strange since you can reset and immediately reload them but hey, it works.  I am now able to see the 323 in both media player and on the xbox.

See if it works for you.

If not, try to determine if there is a particular section of your files causing problems...basically the way you did already, by pointing at small chunks and verifying functionality.  I've heard that a corrupted file can cause the UPnP scan to break and forks the whole process...you could have something like that going on.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:06:37 AM by reardonmetal »

reardonmetal

• Level 1 Member
Re: UPnP + Xbox 360 + Thousands of Files
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »

Oh, one more thing...it seems that the DNS will not provide UPnP info to the xbox or media player until it has finished it's initial refresh.

It will appear in MP and Xbox though, just won't show any media, so don't think it isn't working and give up before that refresh is finished.