• March 28, 2024, 11:29:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need to reboot every few days to restore wireless connectivity  (Read 60930 times)

casimps1

• Level 1 Member
Need to reboot every few days to restore wireless connectivity
« on: December 10, 2010, 07:05:11 AM »

My WBR-2310 is running firmware 1.05. I have three wired devices connected and I also use three different wireless devices. The router is set to Auto Channel Scan, Super G w/o Turbo, WPA security, and a hidden SSID.

Typically everything works great for a few days. Then, suddenly none of my wireless devices are able to connect anymore. All of the wired devices continue working properly. I can access the router admin page through a wired device and it responds normally. Because of this consistency (all wired works, all wireless fails) I know there's some sort of problem on the router end... but I can't figure out what. If I reboot the router everything works again, but that's annoying.

Any suggestions?

whiskey4

• Level 1 Member
Re: Need to reboot every few days to restore wireless connectivity
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »

I do not have a work around or fix for this issue. However, I have experienced the same situation. My settings are almost identical to yours (do not use auto channel or hide my SSID).

Hopefully someone could suggest a resolution. The reboot is a little tiring. I just want you to know your not the only one having this experience.

vrezula

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »

You are not alone.  I bought this router a few years ago and used it for about a month.  Every couple of days I would lose wireless connectivity.  The radio beacon light would be on, but no signal.  Rebooting the router restored the signal, but what a hassle!  I finally switched to the Linksys WRT54 and have been happy ever since.  I just recently pulled the D-Link out and set it up as a WAP with the same results. Figured I would check here to see if there was a fix, but evidently not:(  I won't buy another D-Link again. >:(

TucsonLynne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »

I used the WBR-1310 for years without a problem.  Installed WBR-2310 updated to 1.05 and every other day my laptop cannot connect to the network without rebooting the router.  I was using auto channel but now I am trying the turbo just for kicks to see if it makes any difference.  Very sorry I changed routers.

LTCM

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »

I have the same problem.  The router was great until I updated the firm ware.  Now I have to reboot the router EVERY DAY in order to connect to the wireless connection.  Before this was not a problem.  Wondering if I re-install the router to factory settings without the firmware if that will make a difference? What a pain in the a##.

DoughBoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:41:33 AM »

Try disabling all log types under the Tool/Log Setting/Log types.

n8tnu1951

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:29:48 AM »

I have the wbr 2310 with the same problem with the wireless connection only. I have to reboot the router almost once a day. I have two wireless computers and two PD-A's on the system. All devices are set to have the IP address set automatically. I also have three printers on the network, two hp printers and one lexmark printer. I have the IP range in the router setup set from 100 to 199. I have tried using various channels, 6 and now channel 1. I have tried using super g mode with turbo and no turbo or disabled. My firmwire version is 2.03. I do not have any log settings checked in the tools section where it says logs. The extended range box is checked. The "use only 802.11g" is checked. My wired connection works fine all the time. All devices on the network use the 802.11g standard except my new laptop which is type N. Two of my computers use win 7 and one use win xp home. Please help.
Dudley

TucsonLynne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »

I have tried some other options that seem to allow my laptop to log into my network most of the time. Router resets have dropped & mainly only necessary if my shared directory cannot be accessed from my laptop.  Here is what I am using now:  Router Wireless - Enable auto channel scan, Super G w/o Turbo, Enable Extended Range mode, WPA2 security, Cipher AES Personal with a passphrase.  Router Network - Enable DNS relay, enable DNS server, Added main & laptop to DHCP reservation.  On laptop - added IP address (the one assigned by the router DHCP), gateway and DNS server address to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Use IP address, Use DNS server and used the adapter configuration utility (AR5005G on a Toshiba laptop) to include my network name, AES and passphrase rather than using windows to set up the connection. 

Someone else more knowledgeable than me can probably improve on this setup, but it's working for me 99% of the time, so I am happy.  I haven't had to reset the router for several weeks - just when I need the shared directory & it is usually available 99% of the time.

KUppiano

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:25:34 PM »

I don't use the wireless every day, but whenever I do, I have to reboot the router first. There is a signal present, and the computer says it is connecting, but it eventually times out with no DHCP assigned IP address.

This is a big problem for me, because the router is located (for good WI-FI signal coverage) in a part of the house where it is very difficult to reach easily.

Volkstech

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »

I used to have this problem, but I found a solution somewhere in this forum.  This was a long time ago so I don't remember the exact thread.  But what I had to do was flash the di624revD_firmware_404.bin to the router (you can find it on the site here, I believe).  Ever since I did that, it never needed to be reset again... I could have it on for days and days on end.  YMMV.

newman20

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »

Had the same problem.

Somewhere on the net I found the answer and can't remember where.

Anyhow, mine is working fine now on 1.05 with these wireless settings:

Enable wireless - checked
Wireless network name - whatever you name your wireless network
Wireless Channel - 1
Enable auto channel scan - unchecked
Super G mode - disabled
Enable extended range mode - unchecked
802.11g only mode - unchecked
Enable hidden wireless - unchecked

For security I am using the WEP Basic mode with open authentication, 64 bit encryption, hex for the key type, a default of WEP 1, and a 10 digit hex value in WEP key 1 box.  The rest of the WEP keys just have zero's in them.

Try these settings as a starting point and see if they hold for a few days, and then adjust to determine which one is causing the dropout.

I did not bother searching out which setting(s) were actually causing the problems since I had it working.

Good Luck

sytecyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »

For security I am using the WEP Basic mode with open authentication, 64 bit encryption, hex for the key type, a default of WEP 1, and a 10 digit hex value in WEP key 1 box.  The rest of the WEP keys just have zero's in them.
:-\

Using WEP is NOT a good idea.  this is BEGGING someone to walk/drive by your house and hack your network.  when hackers see WEP being used, they target it because it is VERY easy to crack and you don't even need passwords or keys to do it.  Simply scrambling the wireless signal will confuse the router enough to allow hackers in.   The same applies to 64-bit encryption.  TOO easy to crack.  While this may be a solution to getting your wireless to operate, it is a useless fix (if it is what corrects your connectivity issues) and should not be considered a fix, but a step backward.

I have the same issues with my router. This has to be some issue with the advanced wireless settings.

KUppiano

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »

My parents and I both have the WBR-2310. Firmware on both is 1.05. Their wireless always connects; after three days or so, mine doesn't, and it has to be rebooted to restore wireless connectivity. The log shows my wireless accepting the PC connection, but the router does not issue an IP address.

So the last time I was at my folks' place, I compared the configuration on the two routers. There were several differences:

• I have a couple of port forwarding entries; they don't. I have chosen to ignore that for the time being.
  • I am using WPA2/AES; they're using WPA2/TKIP. That is potentially significant, but I decided not to mess with that yet.
  • I have sync to an NTP time server turned on; they don't. I have it set to sync every three days (roughly the time it takes for my wireless to fail). I turned on daily NTP time sync on their router -- BAM! After a day or so, the wireless failed to connect.

I think it's worth checking to see if you have time sync enabled on your router, and if so, turn it off. The router only needs to keep relative time unless you're using the scheduling features.

brewmaster808

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »

The way I solved this problem was: I have WBR-2310 rev B, I installed firmware 2.04 (not sure were I got it, since not listed on Dlink). The settings I have disabled under wireless are: Enable Auto Channel Scan, Super G Mode, Enable Extended Range Mode, Enable Hidden Wireless. I believe disabling these settings reduced heat build up overtime, which was cause the problem. I have 3 Dlinks models WBR-2310 rev B1, Dir-615 rev A1, and Dir-825 rev A1 all are junk, the hardware of products seem good but the firmware is bad and doesn't get updated to correct firmware often. I now believe cisco would be a lot better was to go for these reasons. I wished that there was a 3rd party firmware to correct these routers, but these version do not have.

ronaldjm72

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »

buuuuuu no response
Pages: [1] 2