• April 18, 2024, 10:21:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't log in on brand new DNS-323  (Read 10872 times)

Jon Petter

• Level 1 Member
Can't log in on brand new DNS-323
« on: September 07, 2010, 02:54:05 PM »

I have the same problem as described in:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11325.0
. However my DNS-323 is brand new.

I have two WD20EARS and one WD10EARS that I have been testing with.
The following thread points out som problems using these HDs. 
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12977.0
but people have been able to at least format two WD20EARS'. I meet a dead end after I type in admin and hit Configuration.

I have tested:
  • Dual 2TB layout
  • Single 2TB (to the left)
  • Single 1TB (to the left)
  • No HD's
  • Reset Button

Suggestions would be appreciated.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Can't log in on brand new DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

What do you mean by "dead end"?

First step is to update the firmware if you haven't done that, even before installing the drives, as I assume it will not ship yet with v1.09.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

lookingforinfo

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »

I am willing to bet that that Jon Peter is following the printed instructions that came with his new DNS-323.
I am also willing to bet that the printed Manual is even more out-of-date than the file that is available on the DNS support page.  The one I just downloaded was last updated on 06/16/08 and there is no mention of updating the firmware.

It seems to me that D-Link should provide new users with better documentation, especially how to get the latest version of the documentation and firmware.  Maybe the more experienced users could make suggestions to D-Link for improving the documentation.

I am not trying to start a war, I am just offering a suggestion that might make life easier for new users.  Three months ago I was in the same position as Jon Peter.

Jon Petter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »

Well, by "dead end" I mean a empty page as described here http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11325.0

I was thinking about updating the firmware but the only way to do that (that I have found) is through the web-interface.

lookingforinfo: I couldn't have agreed more.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 02:21:16 AM »

What browser version are you using?
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Jon Petter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:45:46 AM »

Tested with both Opera 10.61 and Firefox 3.6.8. Don't tell me I need IE6 for this to work?

Jon Petter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »

I have started the process to return the NAS and the two HD's.
Hopefully I will get a new one and switch to two Seagate Barracuda 1,5TB (Which has been tested by dlink). 

spacereactor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »

Tested with both Opera 10.61 and Firefox 3.6.8. Don't tell me I need IE6 for this to work?

Most of the time i use IE7 that work for me when setup dlink hardware.

Jon Petter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »

IE8, that I have, does not work.

A little question about the url I'm redirected to when hitting Configuration:

http://192.168.0.32/goform/formLogin

I guess that there should have been more in this query, like:

http://192.168.0.32/goform/formLogin?userName=admin&paswrd= ....

Does someone know the correct syntax, or does it use POST?

I tried with this query that I got from Opera:

http://192.168.0.32/goform/formLogin?f_LOGIN_NAME=admin&f_LOGIN_PASSWD=%s&f_login_type=

Does not work :-(. Seams like the file is just not there.

Now I also have two seagate 1,5TB HD installed which did not make it any better, so I guess that the problem is the 323.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »

It uses POST. The URL is correct.

The fact that you can get to the login page makes me suspicious that it has anything to do with the NAS.

Do you have cookies and JavaScript enabled? Have you tried resetting IE to defaults/ disabling AV software.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:33:01 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Jon Petter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »

I just installed windows 7 on a new computer and tested your suggestions there in IE8. I turned of pop-up blocker, enabled javascript and accepted all cookies. No results. The computer has no AV yet.

I' starting to believe the is either the ruter or the NAS? Have tested it from so many computers now that it should be a more common problem if the browser is the problem.

Is there some way I can connect directly to the NAS?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »

Yes. It would be a good test to connect directly to the NAS. Use a network cable between the two. Make sure your computer is on the same subnet as the NAS.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Jon Petter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 02:03:03 AM »

I'm not quite sure how to do this.

Will the NAS keep the ip it had when connected to the router when I connect it directly to my laptop?
Looks like my laptop got a different ip than when it was connected to the router. So how can I find the new NAS-ip?

chriso

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »

I'm not quite sure how to do this.

Will the NAS keep the ip it had when connected to the router when I connect it directly to my laptop?
Looks like my laptop got a different ip than when it was connected to the router. So how can I find the new NAS-ip?

First off even though your DNS-323 is brand new have you tried resetting it to factory settings like was suggested in the link you found (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11325.0)?  The reset button is a on the back, small hole (use paperclip, maybe a pen) between the power cable and the Ethernet connector.  Just because it is new, doesn't mean that there is no chance of this working.  Especially if you ran the "Easy Search Utility" and something went wrong.  BTW for the first try after this I would tried it without the drives, just in case.

Speaking of which did you run the "Easy Search Utility" or just jump to using the web interface?
Whether it works or not might tell a lot.

Personally I think it is highly unlikely this is a web browser problem, and as you have found out there is no way to update the firmware without being able to log in, and for Pete's Sake, it doesn't matter what firmware version is on the DNS-323 they should all allow you to log in or it would be totally useless.
And I can't see how a router would be blocking just this one action.

To clarify, I use both Firefox 3.6 and IE 8, with no problems And I can tell you that you disabled Javascript (which would have taken work on your part) on the login screen the Username and password prompts would be on a gray background instead of a while box background, and when you selected the Configuration button it would do nothing (as in it wouldn't go to an empty page).

On the connecting the DNS-323 directly to your computer.  It certainly will behave differently.  Your router was most likely assigning it an IP address, and that will be gone without it.  From the manual DNS-323 first tries to get an IP address automatically and if it can't then it will use 192.168.0.32.
Your PC is not setup to assign an IP address to so that is what it will default to, but that brings up more of another problem. Your PC is also getting its IP address from that router.  If you disconnect you PC from the network/router the PC will assign itself an IP address and if it does it the IP address it assigns will not be on the same sub net so the two will not be able talk to each other.  You have to know how to manually assign your PC an IP address and network mask.

If you know how to do that give it an IP address of 192.168.0.2 and a mask of 255.255.255.0 and it should connect (make sure you use http://192.168.0.32, and give it a few seconds after connecting the cable before trying).  If you don't maybe someone else can give you the instructions.  I know them, but I think this line of troubleshooting is more likely going to cause you more problems then it solves.

I would think you should try the reset, and if that doesn't fix it the "Easy Search Utility", and if that doesn't work return it and try another, or if they provide it call D-Link.

lookingforinfo

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:34 AM »

Have you tried a different cable going to the NAS?

Peace
Pages: [1] 2