• May 04, 2024, 08:14:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Vista  (Read 11692 times)

marsb007

Vista
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:41:15 PM »

Every version of this driver for vista 32 crashes for me. The network hangs and my whole Vista hangs. I have tried using the generic Atheros drivers and still no luck.

I'm about to move away from this product because of it's HORRIBLE Vista support. I would think the drivers for this hi-end card would be a priority for Vista.

I have Vista Ultimate installed...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:32:57 PM by Alex Juchna »

jupiter

Vista
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:15:40 AM »

I as well, run Vista Ultimate (Build 6000) at my home.  I also have DWA-552 running on two Machines (Dell 4600 score 1.3 & IBM Lenovo score 4.8).

I have never had issue with either cards crashing on me.  I am using the VistaBeta build of drivers

Vista Beta Drivers
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/VistaBETA/Vista_BETAdrivers/BETAVista_Drivers.zip

mobilechaos

• Level 1 Member
Vista
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »

Do any of these drivers work with the 64-bit version of Vista?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:30:24 PM by Alex Juchna »

blanke

Vista
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:33:33 AM »

Does anybody have the DWA-552 running on Windows Vista using 802.11n as the communication protocol.  I can get the card to work between the DWA-552 and the DIR-655, but it is using 802.11g, so I am only getting a 54MBps connection.  Furthermore, when I try to install the so called Beta Vista Drivers listed for the 552, these dont seem to support the 552.  I am using the drivers that came with the CD which seem to have a version dated for 8/2006.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Oh BTW - I would love to be able to use this card on Windows 2003 and be able to move my server into a different room!  Any chances we'd get a driver for Server 2003 or Server 2008?

blanke

Vista
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 07:27:39 AM »

I got the DWA-552 to work at 300MBps.  I used the latest XP drivers on Vista and it seems to be working fine. 

So now I just need an x64 driver for a different computer.

Howie_2

Vista
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 09:26:02 AM »

i too am having many problems with this card...the DWA-552...no matter what i do...it will not work on Vista Ultimate-64 Bit..i have tried all the drivers available..even D-Link tech support has given up on trying to get it to work...tech told me that they don't guarantee this card to work on Vista...let alone the 64 bit...very sad IMHO!!  120.00 dollar card that launched after Vista was out and no drivers? web list beta from feb 2007..and no updated drivers... aweful driver support..oh...went to wal-mart and picked up a Belkin G+ card for 29.00 dollars...installed..drivers loaded...works great...D-Link..take a lesson from Belkin...you need it...

VacTacks11

Vista
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 11:29:54 AM »

Well my problem with Vista and the beta DWA-552 (connected to a DIR-655) drivers revolves not around performance of the card but performance of the OS.

After installing the DWA-552 and the beta drivers, for some reason, every 20-30 seconds my computer would get choppy.  My mouse would have a noticeable lag; closing windows wouldn't be a smooth as normal; and, worst of all, music playing in Winamp would be interrupted every half second.

I uninstalled Vista and went back to XP Pro, hoping it wasn't the card that was the problem.  And true enough XP Pro doesn't have the same problem.

I really have no choice but to wait until the Vista drivers get out of beta before I can install this card back on Vista again, which is a shame since I prefer Vista as an OS more than I prefer XP.

jupiter

Vista
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »

Do any of these drivers work with the 64-bit version of vista?

No,  Vista64 will NOT let you install any driver that is not signed by Microsoft (WHQL)

BTW you cannot  obtain 802.11N speeds unless you are using WPA2
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:40:34 PM by We Are Many »

VacTacks11

Vista
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »

Any idea on when a non-beta Vista driver may come out?

SpoonsAreFun

Vista
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 07:36:27 PM »

i too am having many problems with this card...the DWA-552...no matter what i do...it will not work on Vista Ultimate-64 Bit..i have tried all the drivers available..even D-Link tech support has given up on trying to get it to work...tech told me that they don't guarantee this card to work on Vista...let alone the 64 bit...very sad IMHO!!  120.00 dollar card that launched after Vista was out and no drivers? web list beta from feb 2007..and no updated drivers... aweful driver support..oh...went to wal-mart and picked up a Belkin G+ card for 29.00 dollars...installed..drivers loaded...works great...D-Link..take a lesson from Belkin...you need it...

Might as well toss in the towel on that one... I spent a few weeks trying to get around it.  This card was not the card to buy if you want something running on 64Bit Windows XP (X64) or Windows Vista Ultimate 64 (the only Vista unit being shipped in box as 64 bit).  I'm not one for crying crap but I've not been this frustrated with operating systems and hardware vendors in years.  I can't get support on 64 bit operating systems.  I can't get support on the latest operating systems.  Why do I continue to buy the latest and greatest (IMO) hardware if it only works with antiquated software?.  In my mind its kind of like buying a card with the winning numbers for last years lotto date.  Please someone hear my prayers and find it in your hearts to support 64 bit operating systems...

FreeAtLast

Vista
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:10:59 AM »

I had trouble installing DWA 552 drivers using Vista, but then ran the windows compatability wizard for the XP operating system. Installed the drivers and then updated the drivers through the device manager. Operating at 300 Mbps. Works great! And as my user name indicates I'm free at last!!!

Slomar

• Level 2 Member
Re: Vista
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »

Vista 1.20 WHQL drivers freeze at connection.  Safe mode made for easier installation.  I still wouldn't use the install utility.  Go through the Device Manager.  By the way, I'm connecting to a WPA-2 network (DIR-655)

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »

Vista 1.20 WHQL drivers freeze at connection.  Safe mode made for easier installation.  I still wouldn't use the install utility.  Go through the Device Manager.  By the way, I'm connecting to a WPA-2 network (DIR-655)

use the Vista Beta drivers from D-link, the work with out any problems.
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

netsyphon

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 10:57:53 AM »

well i just got a 552 connecting to my airport extreme.. as soon as this card connects to my AP the system locks up.  im using 1.2 drivers.  i guess i need to go beta as well?

I had no luck with netgears (marvell chipset)
no luck with dlink (atheros)

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 10:48:17 AM »

well i just got a 552 connecting to my airport extreme.. as soon as this card connects to my AP the system locks up.  im using 1.2 drivers.  i guess i need to go beta as well?

I had no luck with netgears (marvell chipset)
no luck with dlink (atheros)

Why Didnt you buy a Apple Airport Card to go with your Airport router...or a D-link N Router to go with your D-Link wifi card....
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>